Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: 135
Unhappy In-car transmitter/garage door opener

No matter what I try--including following the instructions in the owner's manual--I can't get the in-car transmitter to work with my garage door opener. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, were you able to remedy it somehow? Please help.
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2011, 06:36 AM
Suede Master

Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPE View Post
No matter what I try--including following the instructions in the owner's manual--I can't get the in-car transmitter to work with my garage door opener. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, were you able to remedy it somehow? Please help.
Is your garage door opener one with a rolling code? If so, you will need to press the program button the actual garage door opener.

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S
Old 10-10-2011, 06:55 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
It will likely be a 2-step process. First, press the reset on the garage opener (in your garage) in order to mate the frequency from the opener remote to your car transmitter. Next, once that's done, press the reset again and then quickly press the car transmitter button 3 times.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 AM
energetik9

Mein Auto: 911 Carrera 4S
I've always had issues programming mine. The systems will rolling codes are more difficult.

Have you tried this? http://www.homelink.com/home.php

There is a video on the website that walks you through everything. Trust me....you'll get there.
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...

"In car rock, paper, scissors 911 beats Prius everytime."
Old 10-13-2011, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5d, 2009 128 Conv.
Currently there are a couple of different rolling code standards on the market. I discovered this when I had to replace one opener that was struck during a lightning storm. I have two half horse power openers on single doors. Each use the rolling code but the newer one uses a different protocol. It was a struggle to get both to work. What I had to do was first train the car to know what type of transmitter your garage door opener will recognize. This is done by following the instructions in your owners manual and using the remote that came with your opener near the BMW mirror. Follow the steps to train new opener. Once that has been done the BMW will know what type of rolling code to transmit. Then you need to link the car to your garage door opener. This is done by following the instructions on the back of the opener. Usually it is done by pressing the training button on the garage door opener and then pressing your the button on your mirror three times. You should see the garage door opener flash three times which indicates it has learned the new remote.

Good Luck and I hope this helps.

2010 X5d Vermillion Red, Sand Beige Nevada, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather, 3rd Row Seat, Tech Pkg, Trailer Hitch, Ipod
2009 128i Crimson Red, Boston Terra Leather, Premium Pkg, Nav, Heated Seats, Ipod
2008 X5 3.0si (Traded In)
2005 X5 3.0 (Traded In)
2003 325i (Sold)
Old 10-21-2011, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: 135i vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPE View Post
I have found when trying to program Home-link, on several BMW's, the location of the remote is critical.

First of all it must be very close to the mirror with the Home-link controls.

Also there is no one correct location to hold the remote while pressing the transmit button.

Sometimes I have placed the remote under and behind the mirror, other times over the top and behind the mirror. Other times simply in front of the mirror.

My advice is to try multiple locations adjacent to the mirror to get the receiver to recognize the signal.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i (sold the X3)
I had to press the button on remote for 3 seconds, then release and hold for 3 seconds to get the Homelink to see, then press the learn button on the opener.

Steve