Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-07-2008, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 335xi Loaded
335xi clunk over speed bump

Has anyone else noted a "clunk" when going over a speed bump coming from the front end of the car? It only happens if I hit the bump with both tires together (not one tire at a time). It happens when going "down" the speed bump, not "up" it. To me it almost sounds like transaxle movement. If I go real slow, no clunk, only when I go fast enough to "fall" off the back of the speed bump.

I talked to BMW serive this morning and they had never heard of such a thing. I'm scheduling a service drive so they can hear it. I'll post when I find out, but I just wanted to get anyone else's thoughts....

matt
Ads by Google
Old 02-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Done with BMW

Mein Auto: '09 A4 Sedan, '08 Boxster
Hello, Matt. In this forum, search for "335xi bumps" and read the first thread. If your SA truly is not familiar with this flaw in the 335xi, s/he should read that thread too.

I can't stand the flaw. Though I haven't noticed it over speed bumps, it is very evident in my car, over deep or sharp edged potholes and over sharp ridges (which would be sort of like mini-speed bumps.)

If you can get this thing tuned out of your 335xi, please document the details of the fix and report it to us here.

Good Luck!

Snaxster
Old 01-23-2012, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
bump

ever find a fix for this?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
I would be curious about a fix as well.

I have a crunching type noise going over speed bumps. Seems to do it more when it is colder outside, although I have heard it when temps were as high as 40 degrees. I only hear it when I have the 17" winter tires mounted though.... Not sure if that is related or just because it is normally colder when the winter tires are on the car.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: = )
I just had this corrected under warranty a couple of months ago. After doing some research, I found that the noise (a crunching sound) that would occur going over speed bumps at slow speeds was due to the front stabilizer bar bushings. I greased them myself last year in an effort to fix the problem, using synthetic grease so as not to damage the rubber bushings, but the noise came back this year when the temperature dropped. I later read somewhere BMW specifies that the bushings are not to be lubricated (not sure about this, as other posters indicated that their BMW techs just lubed the bushings). So I disassembled the bushings and cleaned them up, took a test drive with the bushings crunching louder than ever. Made an appointment with my local dealer, and brought the car in a couple of weeks later. Of course, the weather was no longer in the 40's, and the bushings were quiet again. But here's what was done:

Although I could not hear it with my "naked" ear, the BMW tech was able to confirm that the front stabilizer bar bushings were making the noise by the use of a chassis ear (microphones mounted by the stabilizer bars to allow a second tech riding in the passenger seat to actually hear the noise and isolate it). He replaced both front rubber bushings and all is quiet now. I'm just hoping it'll last, as my research had found that this is a common complaint with our cars. Fixes have been anywhere from lubrication, bushing replacement, to complete stabilizer bar replacements, (with some posters indicating the noise returning months later).
Old 01-25-2012, 06:42 AM
jertronic

Mein Auto: 2008 328 xi sedan
I had the same issue when my vehicle had ~15K. Bushings of some sort were replaced under warranty and I have had zero issues with my suspension since. The car now has 62K miles.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
Thanks for the info guys. My car goes in for it's first annual maint. and I'll have to bring this up. The noise is easily heard from inside the car.