Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-05-2011, 06:20 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobrandfanboy View Post
LOL I don't know why you are the one responding and thinking I was talking about you. You are not my intended target. I think the intended targets are the ones who think their F07 are beautiful cars and then think the Panamera is crap. I think the intended targets are also ones who think that the 550i is a better car just because it is faster than the Panamera in a straight line and because it is cheaper. The intended targets are the ones who think Porsche and everything else is crap while BMW is king. So I don't think it was targeted at you personally so not sure why you are responding.
Oh, but I was your intended target. Because your intended target was this entire forum. When you make posts the way you have, you brand the entire forum with a broad brush. You perpetuate a stereotype which is untrue, all the while you claim to rail against it.

I've been on this forum for not a long time, but long enough. There has been plenty of detractors against the F10 and BMW in general. Some have legitimate concerns about the car, the brand, etc. The car is different, it is polarizing, it is not for all. Some have not liked it. Others have had issues, serious issues. Those people have expressed their concerns without once being called a troll or being derided. BMW deserves to be called to the table as a result of some of their actions, and these people are doing so.

Then there are those who do nothing more than incite, to stereotype, to perpetuate inaccurate descriptions. They imply things without ever having driven the car, or owning a modern BMW. When someone tries to counter their argument rationally or logically, their only defense is to cry "fanboy!" or "blind believer". How could someone NOT see that BMW's are crap, that the F10 is a Lexus. Those people must all be soft apologists. I'm thinking of the person who was posting around Christmas and New Years (who has since disappeared) who called the F10 a "Buick" and a "Lexus" in every post, basing this description on "several hours" of passenger time and "less than two hours" of driving time. That person was a troll.

So if you want your opinions taken seriously, drop the "fanboy", the "protection" the "special treatment" statements. Not everyone is going to agree with your points. You don't have to label them when they don't.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-05-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Panamera's aren't crap, but they just aren't worth the money Porsche wants for them. I can afford either and I have driven them both. I am speaking from experience and not marketing or some childlike fantasy. The Panamera Turbo does not have 2x the performance of the F10, but it's 2x the price. I put my money on the F10, which is the far better value. I would not be as happy with the lowly Panamera 4S with its lack of low-end grunt - sorry if I don't buy into the Porsche fanboy hype.

Unfortunately, the troll in this thread can't comprehend why people would buy anything other than the Panamera. Obviously an avid magazine reader, it's interesting he doesn't even own a Panamera; why not? Maybe the troll will someday understand that in the real world dollars and cents do matter. It's the troll in this thread that thinks Porsche engineers are somehow superior to BMW engineers. No facts to back-up that claim other than pure Porsche fanboism. It's the troll in this thread that thinks all things Porsche are beautiful and the F07 & F10 can't possibly be, why because they are BMWs? This is a BMW board where people with interests in BMW come to contribute. The troll in this thread pretends to like BMWs, but attacks them at every chance and calls all who disagree with his rants by calling everyone fanboys. Porsche fanboys belong on Rennlist, not here.
Good point about the Porsche. And for those who think that all things from Stuttgart are dipped in gold, here is an article worth reading:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-the-panamera/

Good one here too:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...mera-purchase/

The popular opinion is not always the correct one.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Audi A6 TDI
I've driven my fair share of Porsches, ones I have owned and others I have either had on loan or test drove. If he didn't like the Panamera then he didn't quite get the whole concept of this car, it's not a 911 and nor is it an Audi A8, it's somewhere in between those two cars.

On the track I don't believe there is any stock mass produced range of cars which will continue to take the abuse like a Porsche and very few thrill in these situations like them either. The perfect example of this was my Cayenne, the X5, Q7, ML would all do the day to day boring driving as well as my Porsche would but when you really started to throw the thing down a twisty road it connected in a way none of the other could, well the same is true for the Panamera, it's flawed no doubt because I found it too wide and difficult to place on the road but when you started to really drive it the Porsche connectiveness came flooding back.

It's different from BMW, Audi, Mercedes, in fact everything else but it all depends on whether you value this subtle difference being worth it. In the case of the Cayenne I would definitely have to say yes but then again it isn't priced at twice the price of the BMW like it is in your country.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBigMan View Post
I've driven my fair share of Porsches, ones I have owned and others I have either had on loan or test drove. If he didn't like the Panamera then he didn't quite get the whole concept of this car, it's not a 911 and nor is it an Audi A8, it's somewhere in between those two cars.

On the track I don't believe there is any stock mass produced range of cars which will continue to take the abuse like a Porsche and very few thrill in these situations like them either. The perfect example of this was my Cayenne, the X5, Q7, ML would all do the day to day boring driving as well as my Porsche would but when you really started to throw the thing down a twisty road it connected in a way none of the other could, well the same is true for the Panamera, it's flawed no doubt because I found it too wide and difficult to place on the road but when you started to really drive it the Porsche connectiveness came flooding back.

It's different from BMW, Audi, Mercedes, in fact everything else but it all depends on whether you value this subtle difference being worth it. In the case of the Cayenne I would definitely have to say yes but then again it isn't priced at twice the price of the BMW like it is in your country.
The point is not whether he liked it or not. That point is immaterial.

The point was Porsche's reaction to his negative review. And they are not alone. Jack, in the article, makes mention of Evo being berated by Ferrari. I remember that Ferrari finished second to Porsche a couple of times in a row. Ferrari was incensed and told Evo that they could never run a Ferrari in a comparison again.

Even now, Ferrari sends a test car to some magazines with an army of engineers. They send several sets of tires, a support truck, and technicians. Sometimes they even send their own test driver to make sure the numbers are up to snuff. At times, the numbers that are obtained are obtained using "secret" procedures known only to the technicians, procedures that would not be available to the public lest they ruin the car. I remember reading one of the test articles where the test driver reported that the technician told him "the launch control button is only for the public, it does not produce the fastest time". He then went through a sequence of button presses, paddle pulls, and other machinations to put the car into "true" launch mode which was brutal on the powertrain, but produced the best numbers of the day.

More good discussion here:

http://www.ajr.org/Article.asp?id=5141

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 09-05-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: '11 550i -> '15 M3
Articles like what needsdecaf posted make me shake my head at the lengths companies will go to promote their products. A thought then came to mind.

In another thread I wondered why anyone would bother to troll a forum for cars they don't own or like and talk **** constantly. It's a waste of time, but perhaps the trolls derive some sort of satisfaction in the effort. Perhaps, however, there are economic reasons to do it as well -- I think most any car company is surely capable of hiring PR firms/freelancers to "help shape the discussion" of their car and rivals' as well.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1Trauma View Post
Perhaps, however, there are economic reasons to do it as well -- I think most any car company is surely capable of hiring PR firms/freelancers to "help shape the discussion" of their car and rivals' as well.
This happens on various audio/visual forums all the time. Sad.

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
That's funny, A study conducted on women and children.

The study is also based on people's reaction to sensationalist news coverage. I've never been a fan of Toyota, but I never believed that the company suddenly crumbled and started making cars that made Yugo look good. Warranty claim numbers and the NHTSA proved it was all hype. The authors even admit their results do not align with other studies.

Please do not feed the troll
Click image for larger version

Name:	troll.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	291673

News Flash:
Dealing with Internet Trolls - the Cognitive Therapy Approach

So, what I meant to say is thank you for sharing such an informative study on brandism. It truly opened my eyes to the fact some people can become overly attached to their possessions and as such it helps them form their own sense of self-worth. We all must be diligent in our efforts not to offend any of our valued contributors or challenge their self-worth; BMW, MB, and VAG owners alike.

For the record, the Panamera is a wonderful exciting new car. I was so excited about the release of the Panamera, that as I posted earlier in this thread, I was one of the first people at the dealership after they got their first Panamera Turbo. The sales manager hadn't even had his official Panamera Unveiling Event for his preferred customers. Anyway, I could see with all of the legendary Porsche Engineering it was well worth every penny of its $152,000 sticker price, plus the additional dealer mark-up (he hadn't made up a number yet), but that's worth it too, since the dealer works very hard to keep us customers happy. Unfortunately for the legendary Porsche engineers, excellent factory workers, savy marketeers, and dedicated sales force, BMW provided me with numerous financial incentives that were too good to pass up (7% ED discount, 0.9% financing, $1,500 rebate, $1,000 BMWCCA rebate, and ED invoice plus pricing). Maybenext time I'll buy a new Porsche, I hear the Pajun will be a segment leader. Have you checked out the Alpina B7x? I know, it's technically a 500hp modded BMW, but I really liked that car too, what do you think?

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 09-05-2011, 10:39 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Good point about the Porsche. And for those who think that all things from Stuttgart are dipped in gold, here is an article worth reading:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-the-panamera/

Good one here too:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...mera-purchase/

The popular opinion is not always the correct one.
Flaming Porsches from Hell. Capo was right!

Oh wait, I mean I hope no one was hurt. As the article stated a new turbo & exhaust means the Panamera will be tearing up the track again thanks to Porsche engineers building robust durability into their designs.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Flaming Porsches from Hell.
Capo was right!
Somebody say my name???

Been down that "other" road---
Liking where this one leads!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Road to BMW Bliss.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	291691  
Old 09-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
With the frame of mind that dictates what cars are superior to the others in this particular Thread, one has to wonder how much of a laugh Cadillac CTS-V owners would have if they read it.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
With the frame of mind that dictates what cars are superior to the others in this particular Thread, one has to wonder how much of a laugh Cadillac CTS-V owners would have if they read it.
Who cares?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Let's start a "550i VS CTS-V" Thread, and I'm sure with 1,000's of Reply's, people will care.

Edit:

For the record, I'd take the 550i, all day, every day, over a CTS-V. Hell, I'd take a 528i with an M-Pack and the I6 motor over one, as performance doesn't determine the ultimate car for me. But people tend to get so lost in the couch/internet-racing portion, they lose sight of why certain cars command a certain value to some, aside from brute HP, and 1/4 mile figures. Somebody can call pretty much anything a "rip-off" when it comes to that argument, especially $60-80K BMW/Merc/Porsche Sedans with a moderate 300-400HP.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 09-05-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:19 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Let's start a "550i VS CTS-V" Thread, and I'm sure with 1,000's of Reply's, people will care.

Edit:

For the record, I'd take the 550i, all day, every day, over a CTS-V. Hell, I'd take a 528i with an M-Pack and the I6 motor over one, as performance doesn't determine the ultimate car for me. But people tend to get so lost in the couch/internet-racing portion, they lose sight of why certain cars command a certain value to some, aside from brute HP, and 1/4 mile figures. Somebody can call pretty much anything a "rip-off" when it comes to that argument, especially $60-80K BMW/Merc/Porsche Sedans with a moderate 300-400HP.
I had cross-shopped the CTS when I bought my Audi A6, it wasn't a bad car, but I found it had an awkward seating position. I'm sure CTS owners who cross-shopped with German sedans found the CTS offered the best value, performance, and/or luxury. I have no issues with there choice in car selection. Of course, they aren't here at Bimmerfest demanding we bow to their engineering superiority either.

Unfortunately, the lack of AWD and the tremendous cost and hassles associated with the European Delivery of a CTS-V makes it a non-starter for me.

BTW, if you are seriously including Porsche, then the category is $60-120K BMW/Merc/Porsche Sedans with a moderate 300-400HP. Adding Cadillac widens it to $50-120K.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Oh, but I was your intended target. Because your intended target was this entire forum. When you make posts the way you have, you brand the entire forum with a broad brush. You perpetuate a stereotype which is untrue, all the while you claim to rail against it.

I've been on this forum for not a long time, but long enough. There has been plenty of detractors against the F10 and BMW in general. Some have legitimate concerns about the car, the brand, etc. The car is different, it is polarizing, it is not for all. Some have not liked it. Others have had issues, serious issues. Those people have expressed their concerns without once being called a troll or being derided. BMW deserves to be called to the table as a result of some of their actions, and these people are doing so.

Then there are those who do nothing more than incite, to stereotype, to perpetuate inaccurate descriptions. They imply things without ever having driven the car, or owning a modern BMW. When someone tries to counter their argument rationally or logically, their only defense is to cry "fanboy!" or "blind believer". How could someone NOT see that BMW's are crap, that the F10 is a Lexus. Those people must all be soft apologists. I'm thinking of the person who was posting around Christmas and New Years (who has since disappeared) who called the F10 a "Buick" and a "Lexus" in every post, basing this description on "several hours" of passenger time and "less than two hours" of driving time. That person was a troll.

So if you want your opinions taken seriously, drop the "fanboy", the "protection" the "special treatment" statements. Not everyone is going to agree with your points. You don't have to label them when they don't.
I have no problem with that, but I am not going to stand idle while some of these guys call me troll this and fanboy that. If you read any of the threads I am not the first to shout out with the fanboy or troll garbage.
Read this forum and I have only voiced my opinion on the F10 vs the Panamera and my opinion on the F10 steering/performance compared to the Panamera until some of the boys here started with the troll stuff. Not my fault that some of these guys can't take criticism of their cars. Look at how many of these guys have called my car and VAG products garbage but you don't see me respond like these guys have.
I think if you read all the links that someone here provided I have said that the steering and the handling/performance of the F10 is not up to the BMW standard of past cars but I have never said it was a CRAP car. The interior of this car has been vastly improved by BMW and is on par with Audi. Even in the thread comparing the A6 with the F10 I never said the A6 had a better interior just that BMW and Audi spent money on different areas in the interior. The problem is that because I said the steering/ performance isn't up to previous BMW, the BMW guys take this as me saying BMW F10 is crap.
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima
Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
I have no problem with that, but I am not going to stand idle while some of these guys call me troll this and fanboy that. If you read any of the threads I am not the first to shout out with the fanboy or troll garbage.
Read this forum and I have only voiced my opinion on the F10 vs the Panamera and my opinion on the F10 steering/performance compared to the Panamera until some of the boys here started with the troll stuff. Not my fault that some of these guys can't take criticism of their cars. Look at how many of these guys have called my car and VAG products garbage but you don't see me respond like these guys have.
I think if you read all the links that someone here provided I have said that the steering and the handling/performance of the F10 is not up to the BMW standard of past cars but I have never said it was a CRAP car. The interior of this car has been vastly improved by BMW and is on par with Audi. Even in the thread comparing the A6 with the F10 I never said the A6 had a better interior just that BMW and Audi spent money on different areas in the interior. The problem is that because I said the steering/ performance isn't up to previous BMW, the BMW guys take this as me saying BMW F10 is crap.
But if we have an opinion on the Panamera that differs from yours, you claim we are all fanboys and are calling the Panamera crap.

The reason you are called a troll is that you only participate in the BMW vs. anything else threads and you usually take the side of anything else. As I have suggested before, try to becoming a contributor to this forum. Answer technical questions. Help people who ask for help. Complement someone who is proud of their new car. Participate in discussions that don't involve BMW vs another brand. Go drive the cars we are talking about, then form you own opinions from firsthand experience. Don't go on anti-BMW rants on a BMW site. It's not that hard to do. I see that you have been called a troll in several different threads now. Unfortunately, until you choose to become a contributor, you will be called a troll over and over again. Please think about why you may have been repeatedly singled out. It's not too late to become a contributor.

I joined Bimmerfest in late 2006 and subsequently bought two 2007 Mercedes Benzs. I contributed where I had firsthand knowledge about Audi's and Mercedes and you know what? Nobody ever called me a troll. I wonder why your supposed BMW fanboys tolerated my contributions for so long?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: Serpent S966
Quote:
For the record, the Panamera is a wonderful exciting new car. I was so excited about the release of the Panamera, that as I posted earlier in this thread, I was one of the first people at the dealership after they got their first Panamera Turbo. The sales manager hadn't even had his official Panamera Unveiling Event for his preferred customers. Anyway, I could see with all of the legendary Porsche Engineering it was well worth every penny of its $152,000 sticker price, plus the additional dealer mark-up (he hadn't made up a number yet), but that's worth it too, since the dealer works very hard to keep us customers happy. Unfortunately for the legendary Porsche engineers, excellent factory workers, savy marketeers, and dedicated sales force, BMW provided me with numerous financial incentives that were too good to pass up (7% ED discount, 0.9% financing, $1,500 rebate, $1,000 BMWCCA rebate, and ED invoice plus pricing). Maybenext time I'll buy a new Porsche, I hear the Pajun will be a segment leader. Have you checked out the Alpina B7x? I know, it's technically a 500hp modded BMW, but I really liked that car too, what do you think?
Alpina B7? Not even have the intention to think about it . Owning a car in SouthEast Asia is completely different experience than in the US.

I agree Panamera is not worth the price they asked for but I also agree the P car/brand is more superior. Same as you, I choose to purchased F10 myself completely based on its value for the money .
Old 09-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
Quote:
You are not the most worthless troll on the internet, but as far as I can tell, you don't add any value to these discussions, and it's a mystery why you're here. If I didn't own the vehicle around which a forum was created, but for some reason wished to participate rather than lurk, I'd at least try to act like a respectful guest.

You may really believe that you are keeping rampant BMW fanboyism in check, but I have news for you: we're all big boys and girls. We don't need your help.

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
Old 09-06-2011, 12:41 PM

If you come on any forum without owning the brand in question and don't constantly praising it well then sooner or later you will be called a troll, it's part of the game people play on forums.

I think we can all agree that BMW has ever so slightly reposition their values when it comes to driving pleasure vs luxury comfort vs economical efficiency. There is a definite shift in how the F10 drives compared to the E60 which in turn means how it drives compared to the competition, I wouldn't even have considered a C6 A6 against the E60 but found the C7 vs F10 to be a flip of the coin decision feeling I would have been perfectly happy owning and living with either.

My argument remains that when comparing two cars which aren't direct rivals due to price you really have to factor the price difference out of the equation, something very difficult to do. I think if any of us were to be completely honest with yourselves and removed the factor of price from the F10 vs Panemara then you would all prefer the Porsche because it does everything that little bit better. Which comes back to how much you value those small improvement, to some it will never be worth it but to others it is.

It's that simple.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Personally I don't care which one is the better car or better value based on objective measures. To me it's about which car feels the best to me. Like when Jeremy Clarkson tested the new Mclaren against the F458. He listed an endless amount of measures where the Mclaren is the better car ending with a whoppingly fast track time, however something was missing, something subjective that the Ferrari has in spades. Clarkson called it "zing" which I would translate to "fun to drive factor". The same goes for the 550 vs.the Panamera.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
.... I think if any of us were to be completely honest with yourselves and removed the factor of price from the F10 vs Panemara then you would all prefer the Porsche because it does everything that little bit better...

It's that simple.
Porsche There Is A Substitute

I have been honest - don't presume I wear rose color glasses. To reiterate, I purchased my 550i GT because I deemed the GT the better vehicle overall v. the PanameraS - independent of price. The small edge the PanameraS has over my GT in terms of track performance is more than mitigated by the engaging driving dynamics of the GT, in tandem with the GT's superior luxury, space, utility, and aesthetics.

Perhaps, you are enamored with the Porsche mystique, and this clouds your judgement - you will not be the first or last. If you have read any of my posts, you know I think very highly of Porsche, have owned Porsches in the past, and might very well purchase another in the near term, but I am not mesmerized. The BMW 550i GT is more than a substitute, it's my first choice.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...a_s/index.html

Apparently Automobile Magazine shares my opinion, or are they being less than honest?
Perhaps, you confuse honesty with being synonymous to an accord with your point of view.
Respectfully, I defer.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:50 PM

^Is your 5GT on standard suspension because I drove one and couldn't agree that it's dynamics even approached that of the F10 never mind the Panamera S. For definite it was more comfortable but it leaned way too much by comparison and it's handling went south when really pushed which I felt was quite the opposite to the Panny.

Maybe we are looking for different things from our sports saloon cars.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
^Is your 5GT on standard suspension because I drove one and couldn't agree that it's dynamics even approached that of the F10 never mind the Panamera S. For definite it was more comfortable but it leaned way too much by comparison and it's handling went south when really pushed which I felt was quite the opposite to the Panny.

Maybe we are looking for different things from our sports saloon cars.
Good Question.

400 HP 450 ft-lbs of Torque + 20 Inch staggered wheels and performance summer tires + dynamic adaptive handling which allows you to dial in sport+, sport, normal, or comfort modes.

In general, the Porsche places more emphasis on being a sports car and the BMW has more the feel of a seven series gran turismo. What I gave up dynamically, I made up in comfort, capacity, and long distance touring capability. Moreover, although these were all contributing elements, the BMW 550i's 400 hp 450 lbs-ft of torque when combined with a sport pack and 20-inch wheels mitigated the Porsche's sporting advantage. The Porsche may be the the better handling car in absolute terms on a track but the BMW is a very engaging car to drive and the better overall 5 door IMO.

Last edited by Capobranco; 09-06-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
If you come on any forum without owning the brand in question and don't constantly praising it well then sooner or later you will be called a troll, it's part of the game people play on forums.
Most people that don't own (or aspire to own) a brand in question that post frequently around a forum dedicated to that brand are trolls. Why else would you frequent discussions about stuff you chose not to get for an extended period? The exception is someone that stays in a community dedicated to something they don't like just for the community itself (and contributes to it). Remember, this is a frequent poster, not a lurker we're talking about. Lurkers aren't trolls because they aren't disruptive.

As an example, I am a Saints season ticket holder and read the Saints forums regularly. Every so often there is a link to some thread on the Falcons forum (our rivals) to laugh at/get outraged/etc over something going on there. I may read it, but I don't care enough to post there. The vast majority of the Saints fans that do post on the Falcons forums are there to troll. Looking at the posts on their forum you'd assume most Saints fans are a-holes, but it's really that only a-holes bother to post over and over again.

If it's not clear, though, I don't think you're trolling at all BobBigMan.

Quote:
My argument remains that when comparing two cars which aren't direct rivals due to price you really have to factor the price difference out of the equation, something very difficult to do. I think if any of us were to be completely honest with yourselves and removed the factor of price from the F10 vs Panemara then you would all prefer the Porsche because it does everything that little bit better. Which comes back to how much you value those small improvement, to some it will never be worth it but to others it is.

It's that simple.
It certainly doesn't look better. No stick in the US for those that obsess. Several links above show people that disagree with you. It's not that simple.

Last edited by L1Trauma; 09-06-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Good Question.

400 HP 450 ft-lbs of Torque + 20 Inch staggered wheels and performance summer tires + dynamic adaptive handling which allows you to dial in sport+, sport, normal, or comfort modes.

In general, the the Porsche placed more emphasis on being a sports car and the BMW has more the feel of a seven series gran turismo. What I gave up dynamically, I made up in comfort, capacity, and long distance touring capability. Moreover, although these were all contributing elements, the BMW 550i's 400 hp 450 lbs-ft of torque when combined with a sport pack and 20-inch wheels mitigated the Porsche's sporting advantage. The Porsche may be the the better handling car in absolute terms on a track but the BMW is a very engaging car to drive and the better overall 5 door IMO.
That's a very honest answer which I can understand with and accept fully, you were happy giving up so of the Porsche's finer qualities to gain more comfort, capacity and touring capabilities. It's how I would describe the differences between the two but it all depends what you value more, someone else might take a different point of view and accept losing some comfort, capacity and touring ability for that added sparkle when pushed.

It's not a case of who's right and who's wrong, just different values that's all.

It's like going on holiday, I pick a condo near Disney that offers more space and more creature comforts but at greater value than someone else who just has to pick a top Disney hotel and is willing to pay more for a single room with a kitchen or sitting room simply to experience the whole "Disney thing". I don't for one second think the other family is mad, just that I don't hold the same holiday values.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: S4
waiting to get back from vacation 550xi m sport

Im on vacation all i can do is check youtube for 550,s and my questions keep me going
should i get the wheel and tire ins
can i add the apps if the car does not come with it
keep the run flats?
the car is 550 xi m sport imp blue oyster cold weather prem 2 conv pac sport trans
heads up split seats
what should i do first????