Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 325I
X5 Diesel

Hi, does anyone know if there are any differences between the 2012 diesel model vs the 2013 one?
I drive my brothers yukon from time to time and i'll watch videos on his double din, im guessing i cant mod in a ipod for example to play on the nav screen?
Ads by Google
Old 05-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Stick with the Yukon if you need videos to drive.....
Old 05-28-2012, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d-AW/Tobacco
After a few months of being on this forum, I think someone should update their signature tag to 'keep it as rude as possible...'

To address the actual question, rather than a jabbing one liner...I think it is possible to rig the vehicle to play video even while driving. There are plenty of after market options for that, I know we did this in a few of our cars in the past. Obviously, for safety reasons they don't make it standard. But I have never understood why it's such a big deal, especially for road trips to want to be able to have something playing for the front seat passenger. I'm not a tech expert, but I am sure there is a way to get the job done. It's not a 'need', but if you are driving any vehicle over 50K I don't think the word 'need' would apply.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacb1301 View Post
After a few months of being on this forum, I think someone should update their signature tag to 'keep it as rude as possible...'
/Like!
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I have a problem with anyone wanting to watch a video while driving. If the front seat passenger has to watch something, then go in the back and watch it there or do without. The driver has their own full screen panoramic 3D "video" to watch -- its called THE ROAD! BTW, that Yukon never came from the factory with the front seat video enabled while underway.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
We have enough distractions while driving then to have to worry about watching video's

Perhaps we can text, answer emails, shave, and watch a video at the same time, videos belong in the back seat not the front.

Last edited by ductman; 05-29-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:34 PM

funny how posters assume that I will be watching while driving, i never said that I would be driving while watching did i? To automatically assume that I would be watching while driving implies you know me and thats definitely not the case. For further clarification, I watch movies while im waiting around for my folks to close their store and i have to double park or when my brother is driving. Is there really time to watch movies while weaving in and out of traffic in nyc? Not for me.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d-AW/Tobacco
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer1234 View Post
funny how posters assume that I will be watching while driving, i never said that I would be driving while watching did i? To automatically assume that I would be watching while driving implies you know me and thats definitely not the case. For further clarification, I watch movies while im waiting around for my folks to close their store and i have to double park or when my brother is driving. Is there really time to watch movies while weaving in and out of traffic in nyc? Not for me.
Exactly...just because a movie is on for others in the car doesn't imply you are going to watch it. Funny how a simple technical question turns in to people telling you what you should or should not do...just because your vehicle can go 120 mph, doesn't mean you are going to drive that fast. Same with video playing in drive.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Thread fail.

Whiner posters also fail.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 05-29-2012, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer1234 View Post

I drive my brothers yukon from time to time and i'll watch videos on his double din, im guessing i cant mod in a ipod for example to play on the nav screen?

With all due respect, you did say that you drive and watch videos - not parked and watch videos. Of course, also poor assumptions by previous posters....
Old 05-29-2012, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post

With all due respect, you did say that you drive and watch videos - not parked and watch videos. Of course, also poor assumptions by previous posters....
Hmmm...not sure what's worse...driving while watching movies...or being a big enough douche bag to double park long enough to fire up a movie and watch it???

ADHD or OCD much???

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 05-29-2012, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Hmmm...not sure what's worse...driving while watching movies...or being a big enough douche bag to double park long enough to fire up a movie and watch it???

ADHD or OCD much???

Hehe.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post

ADHD or OCD much???
ya, because once you fire up a movie you gotta watch the whole thing right? not to mention that movies arent the only thing I can put on, there are also 20 min tv shows but thats too much thinking for canadians i suppose.. why waste time with a nyc noob, obviously you know nothing about nyc other than having been a tourist if that at some point.