Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i X-drive
So this 'driver experience control' and ECO PRO are something new for 2012? Is that what's driving the 2k base price increase?
2012 535i X-Drive | Imperial Blue Metallic w/ Everest Grey Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Sport Automatic Transmission w/ Paddle Shifters | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Head-up Display | Active Cruise Control | BMW Apps

Old 09-04-2011, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i/2009 x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
Pardon my ignorance but where is the adaptive drive in sport package
the adaptative drive is the full integration of both systems together
dynamic damper control and dynamic driving control
for more sportiness you should add ARS (active roll stablilization)

2008 328i dark graphite ,cold weather pack,USB/ ipod/black leatherette SOLD
hers: 2009 X5 alpine white, dakota tobbaco leather,sport, DHP
premium pack
Old 09-04-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkperigord View Post
So this 'driver experience control' and ECO PRO are something new for 2012? Is that what's driving the 2k base price increase?
new stuff standard

auto start-stop
floor mats
driving dynamics with ECO pro
ambiance ligthing
BMW assist
bluetooth
bmw teleservice
IPOD adaptor/Combox

premium pack
Old 09-04-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondoc72 View Post
new stuff standard

auto start-stop
floor mats
ambiance ligthing
BMW assist
bluetooth
bmw teleservice
IPOD adaptor/Combox
Thanks man.....but what exactly is the "auto start-stop"?
2012 535i X-Drive | Imperial Blue Metallic w/ Everest Grey Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Sport Automatic Transmission w/ Paddle Shifters | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Head-up Display | Active Cruise Control | BMW Apps

Old 09-04-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks man.....but what exactly is the "auto start-stop"?
the car's engine will turn itself off-on to save gas

A clever way to save fuel: the Auto Start Stop function turns off the engine each time the vehicle comes to a complete halt - such as at traffic lights - and restarts it automatically. A reduction in fuel consumption is the result.

The principle is simple: if the engine is not running, it cannot consume fuel. The Auto Start Stop function turns off the engine whenever it is not needed. In a traffic jam or in stop-and-go traffic, simply putting your BMW into neutral and taking your foot from the clutch will activate the function. "Start Stop" on the Info Display signals that the engine has been turned off.
To set off again, just put your BMW back into gear: the moment you depress the clutch, the engine immediately springs back to life and you can drive on without a moment's delay.
Driving comfort and driving safety are not affected by the Auto Start Stop function. The function is not activated, for example, until the engine has reached the ideal running temperature. The same applies if the air conditioner has not yet brought the cabin to the desired temperature, if the battery is not adequately charged or if the driver moves the steering wheel.
The Auto Start Stop function is coordinated by a central control unit that monitors data from all relevant sensors, the starter motor and the alternator. If necessary for comfort or safety, the control unit will automatically restart the engine: for example, if the vehicle begins to roll, the battery charge falls too low or condensation forms on the windscreen.
Furthermore, the system also recognises the difference between a temporary stop and the end of the trip. It will not restart the engine if driver's seatbelt is undone, or if the door or bonnet is open. If desired, the Auto Start Stop function can be completely deactivated with the press of a button.
When used consistently, the Auto Start Stop function delivers significant reductions in fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

premium pack
Old 09-04-2011, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Quote:
new stuff standard

auto start-stop
floor mats
ambiance ligthing
BMW assist
bluetooth
bmw teleservice
IPOD adaptor/Combox
so the sport package from 2011 is split in to three parts.
one part comes standard on 2012 , one part comes from 2012 sport package and other part is a option...

I seriously hate BMW package system they make to many mandatory/dependencies and too much confusing ... what is the point.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
one part comes standard on 2012 , one part comes from 2012 sport package and other part is a option...

I seriously hate BMW package system they make to many mandatory/dependencies and too much confusing ... what is the point.
BMW sure knows how to nickle-and-dime you....I think they do it this way partly to make more money, and partly to make the production line move more efficiently??

Old 09-04-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
BMW sure knows how to nickle-and-dime you....I think they do it this way partly to make more money, and partly to make the production line move more efficiently??
well if they want to nickel and dime, they should at least make it easy.

If you check Audi configuration its pretty simple...i think they are screwing it up in the name of flexibility.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: E46 330i
Quote:

Sort of,
- There are more items standard, including the Driving Dynamic Control that gives user control of accelerator response characteristics, engine response, the power steering characteristics, the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) thresholds and, on automatic models, the shift characteristics of the transmission.
I believe some of this was available with 2TB - Sport Auto Transmission, but some may have been part of 2VA - Adaptive Drive that cam with ZDH package.

- The "Sport" elements have mostly just been re-factored.

--Below holds for 535i--

For 2011,
The $2,200 Sport Package (ZSP) was more cosmetic:
- 255 Sports leather steering wheel
- 2K3 19" Light alloy V-spoke wheels style 331-with performance run-flat tires
(19x8.5, 245/40 R19 front and 19x9.0, 275/35 R19 rear)
- 456 Multi-contour seats
- 760 Shadowline exterior trim
- 840 Increased top speed limiter

The $2,700 Dynamic Handling Package (ZDH) gave you the configurability and adaptive control:
- 223 Electronic Damping Control - moved to ZSP for 2012
- 229 Active Roll Stabilization (ARS)
- 2VA Adaptive Drive

For 2012,
The $3,600 Sport Package (ZSP) now adds 223 - Electronic Damping Control from the 2011 ZDH option
From BMW brochure, DDC "instantly adjusts shock absorbers from the softest to the firmest settings. The result is exceptional ride comfort and fluid handling at all times during changes in vehicle speed, load or road and driving conditions."
- 223 Dynamic Damper Control *new*
- 2K3 19" Light alloy V-spoke wheels style 331-with performance runflat tires
- 775 Anthracite headliner

For 2012, the ARS option for $2,500 includes both ARS and 2VA Adaptive Drive. Ths is the same as the 2011 ZDH package, except 223 has been moved to the Sport Package:
- 2VA Adaptive Drive

So, the full sport and adjustability options went up $1,200 for 2012 ($4,900 -> $6,100)
Old 09-04-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Sort of,
- There are more items standard, including the Driving Dynamic Control that gives user control of accelerator response characteristics, engine response, the power steering characteristics, the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) thresholds and, on automatic models, the shift characteristics of the transmission.
I believe some of this was available with 2TB - Sport Auto Transmission, but some may have been part of 2VA - Adaptive Drive that cam with ZDH package.

- The "Sport" elements have mostly just been re-factored.

--Below holds for 535i--

For 2011,
The $2,200 Sport Package (ZSP) was more cosmetic:
- 2K3 19" Light alloy V-spoke wheels style 331-with performance run-flat tires
(19x8.5, 245/40 R19 front and 19x9.0, 275/35 R19 rear)

The $2,700 Dynamic Handling Package (ZDH) gave you the configurability and adaptive control:
- 223 Electronic Damping Control - moved to ZSP for 2012
- 2VA Adaptive Drive

For 2012,
The $3,600 Sport Package (ZSP) now adds 223 - Electronic Damping Control from the 2011 ZDH option
From BMW brochure, DDC "instantly adjusts shock absorbers from the softest to the firmest settings. The result is exceptional ride comfort and fluid handling at all times during changes in vehicle speed, load or road and driving conditions."
- 223 Dynamic Damper Control *new*
- 2K3 19" Light alloy V-spoke wheels style 331-with performance runflat tires
- 775 Anthracite headliner

For 2012, the ARS option for $2,500 includes both ARS and 2VA Adaptive Drive. Ths is the same as the 2011 ZDH package, except 223 has been moved to the Sport Package:
- 2VA Adaptive Drive

So, the full sport and adjustability options went up $1,200 for 2012 ($4,900 -> $6,100)
Thanks Chief that helps a lot... and it sucks that BMW has increased the price (Stupidity at its best) If not for that Damn Tag Name and Engine i would go for Infinity
Old 09-05-2011, 09:08 AM
BMWCCA Member

Mein Auto: ED 2012 535xi TiAg
Quote:

For 2012, the options list 4UR - Driving Dynamics Control with ECO pro standard
Sorry, but I can't seem to find where 4UR is listed. Can you help me out? Thanks.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWF View Post
Sorry, but I can't seem to find where 4UR is listed. Can you help me out? Thanks.
Opps - typo on my part... will correct that post
4U2 is Driving Dynamics Control w/ ECO PRO - standard on 528 & 535

4UR is Ambiance lighting - now standard on all 5-series

This is from the ordering & pricing guides the OP posted in the Ask-a-Dealer section:
http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=34

He also linked to that post in post #5 of this thread.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:39 PM
BMWCCA Member

Thanks very much. This is great.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: Yugo
So what is the best way to order a 2012 BMW 535i with M sport trim? Do I go to a dealer and order it or is there a better way. Sorry for the newbie question.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plankton99 View Post
So what is the best way to order a 2012 BMW 535i with M sport trim? Do I go to a dealer and order it or is there a better way. Sorry for the newbie question.
if you want the car with specific packages is better to custom order it
first you need to choose the color and specs
the go to bmwconfig to customize it and get the invoice
time to negotiate from invoice, 2-3 dealers ( loyal credit, nav credit )
choose the best offer ( dealer )
order the car to your specific specs
wait 6-8 wks for the car to arrive

premium pack

Last edited by jondoc72; 09-06-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: revise it
Old 09-06-2011, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: Yugo
Quote:
if you want the car with specific packages is better to custom order it
first you need to choose the color and specs
the go to bmwconfig to customize it and get the invoice
time to negotiate from invoice, 2-3 dealers ( loyal credit, nav credit )
choose the best offer ( dealer )
order the car to your specific specs
wait 6-8 wks for the car to arrive
What is (Loyal credit and nav credit)? Any tips on negotiation with dealers?
Old 09-15-2011, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto:
I just can't understand why BMW altered the 2011 5-Series Dynamic Handling Package and the Sport Package. They have made it more complicated and surrepticiously increased the price of buying both at once.
Deciphering the 2012 set-up, it appears that one can buy the sports package ZSP without Active Roll Stabilization ARS but you can't buy ARS without ZSP. This doesn't make any sense. The ZSP is meaningless without ARS.
There is confusion over what comprises Adaptive Drive. I initially thought that it is an umbrella term for combining Active Roll Stabilisation with Dynamic Damping. Yet the PDF stated that ARS is bundled with Adaptive Drive. I would be relieved if anyone can succinctly explain what Adaptive Drive is.
Furthermore does anyone know whether one can attain the Sport Packkage ZSP without Shadowline trim? I prefer cars that present a chrome trim. This brings out the Hoffmeister Kink and is a beautiful site especially against vivid dark paint. I don't see how making the car look sporty has anything to do with Shadowline trim.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto:
I just can't understand why BMW altered the 2011 5-Series Dynamic Handling Package and the Sport Package. They have made it more complicated and surrepticiously increased the price of buying both at once.
Deciphering the 2012 set-up, it appears that one can buy the sports package ZSP without Active Roll Stabilization ARS but you can't buy ARS without ZSP. This doesn't make any sense. The ZSP is meaningless without ARS.
There is confusion over what comprises Adaptive Drive. I initially thought that it is an umbrella term for combining Active Roll Stabilisation with Dynamic Damping. Yet the PDF stated that ARS is bundled with Adaptive Drive. I would be relieved if anyone can succinctly explain what Adaptive Drive is.
Furthermore does anyone know whether one can attain the Sport Packkage ZSP without Shadowline trim? I prefer cars that present a chrome trim. This brings out the Hoffmeister Kink and is a beautiful site especially against vivid dark paint. I don't see how making the car look sporty has anything to do with Shadowline trim.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plankton99 View Post
What is (Loyal credit and nav credit)? Any tips on negotiation with dealers?
loyal credit (1K) applies if you previously owned a BMW (I the last year before the new purchase/lease)

nav credit is currently ongoing for sep-oct 2011 // applied to the following 2012 models (535i, 535xi,528i, 528xi)
is 1,730.00 off the purchase price
this credit is not available for the 550 models

before negotiating with dealers:
- if leasing , do your homework and learn well how leasing works
- negotiate over the invoice and not from mrsp
- do get the price for at least 3 dealers .
- better to deal from internet (e-mail, over the phone, instead of going in person to the dealership, you will love the car and pay wathever they ask you // I did a couple of test drives before the purchase
good luck!!!
PM me for more info if needed

premium pack

Last edited by jondoc72; 09-15-2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 09-15-2011, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto:
There isn't enough info on differences between 2012 MY 535i and 550i. If we talk about 2011; it was obvious that BMW was subliminally encouraging customers to buy the 550i over the 535i. The msrp shows a $10000 difference in base prices but when one looks deeper, it is clear that the 2011 550i came with many more desirable standard features eg navigation, leather upholstery, ambient lighting, park distance control, 100% chrome grill etc. There is $5000 worth of standard features. This means that the net cost difference is only $5000 and it is worth it to attain the mighty 550i engine.
The 550i is not just faster from a stop. It has far better passing acceleration in the important bandwidth 25 - 70mph. This is very handy when overtaking an obstructive truck on the highway.

Cosmetically the 550i looks better. The trapezoid exhaust tips give the car balance. The cylinders in the 535i look too skinny for the car!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: Acura RL
Drive dynamic control

Where does one find information on this? I do not see it anywhere on the bmwusa website for the 2012 535 xdrive. I agree that BMW packages just kill ya. Dealers seem to have a 62k ideal price point on their inventory. Thus I've seen a 2011 sport without sport tranny so no select buttons. I would forgo the sport in a 12 if there was some button to adjust throttle etc like ddc standard
Old 10-10-2011, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: Audi
Ordering 2012 BMW 528xi - need help

Hi I just spoke with a dealer about ordering a 528 xi 2012 model with premium package, technology package, and cold weather package, metallic paint, and leather. MSRP on this configuration is $55,900. His offer is $50,800. Invoice he claims is $51,500 after the $1,730 credit for NAV.

Is this a good price? Any advise? New to forum and this will hopefully be my first BMW.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 97 Honda Accord
Quote:
Opps - typo on my part... will correct that post
4U2 is Driving Dynamics Control w/ ECO PRO - standard on 528 & 535

4UR is Ambiance lighting - now standard on all 5-series

This is from the ordering & pricing guides the OP posted in the Ask-a-Dealer section:
http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=34

He also linked to that post in post #5 of this thread.
When i ordered my 2012 535i on Sept 14, they didnt have the 4U2 or 4UR options. Are you sure its standard on all 2012 models? I even looked at the Standard features lists on www.bmwusa.com and it doesn't state it. Even though Jon Shafer created his .pdf of the build options, its not on the official BMW build list.
2012 535i Alpine White | Oyster Black Dakota Interior | Hamann CF Front Lip | LiteSpeed Catback Exhaust System | M5 Rear Diffuser | Painted Calipers, Reflectors & Black Gloss Grill | FormulaOne Pinnacle Series Tint | Born on 1/30/12

Gre8tW8LL
Old 10-12-2011, 07:38 AM
BMWCCA Member

CA told me a couple of weeks ago that the Driving Dynamics with EcoPro is standard.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Conv
2012 528i or 2011 535i

Bimmer experts.

I am currently negotiating to buy a 2011 535i demo model from my local dealer. I have driven the 2012 528i and am confused on what to do. I like the 4-cyl engine although the savings in gas is not the most important factor to me. I am by far not a BMW expert like some of you. What do some of you recommend? go for the 2011 535 demo or 2012 528?? I know if i wait for the 2012 535i, the deal wont be as good as with the 2011. Any suggestions??

Eric-