Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 1.9L Automatic
Z3 Auto Tranny Warm Up?

Greetings All,

My wife bought a lovely little 98 Z3 with a 1.9 and automatic tranny with 65k. It looks brand spanking new inside and out, garage kept, so I had absolutely no objections whatsoever. Never had a Z3, always loved the styling. Didn't seem to have any probs at all when we tested, has gone several thousand already, and drives like a dream with no probs.

But...I did notice one strange thing. When she's cold, she won't drop into 2nd until about 3 rpm - and kind of jerks into gear. When warm, I think it will shift around 1.8 rpm if driving gently. Since I like to keep rpm low when engine cold, this is kind of a pain. It does the same for 2nd to 3rd.

After it's warm, usually by 4th gear, it's all normal shifting.

Is this normal? Is it the wacky lifetime fluid needs warming up? Or, do I need to replace the fluid if this not right? I did many searches on here, but couldn't find anything about this, except on post where it seemed like there was an actual tran prob. thanks

Last edited by Z3P-O; 08-01-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 1.9L DASC Auto
Normal.

In the U.S., BMW holds the shift revs high on cold start to aid in lessening emissions when cold. I found it a pain so I switched to the Euro transmission control software. Better shift points and no cold start high revving. You can also add pushbutton sport mode.

In case you're not aware - putting the shifter into "3" puts the transmission into sport mode.

Here's more info on the conversion. If you're not interested in running the single wire for the S/E/M switch, you just buy a Euro TCU (about $50) and swap out with your US TCU (all plug and play).

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&highlight=e36

Last edited by Monolith; 08-01-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:35 PM

thanks Monolith, that is very good to know! Don't want any trouble that starts with "T" especially. Curious explanation that was too.

Didn't know that about 3rd and sport, will have to try it sometime. I do have the A or M button option as well - but haven't tried to engage it yet. I just want the wife to enjoy the car a bit before she is introduced to the dealer So everything right now seems to be working fine, though I understand I should eye my waterpump with suspicion. cheers

Last edited by Z3P-O; 08-01-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:39 PM

that does sound like a great idea about the euro software too. thanks for the link, its great to know about that. For the moment, I'm just going to leave everything though and hope everything just stays precisely as it is!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 1.9L DASC Auto
Actually, I'd replace the two plastic cooling pipes first. One on the backside and another on the driver side of the block. The plastic degrades over time. Be sure and tell your wife to immediately shut off the engine no matter what if it ever overheats. The head warps very quickly on the M44.

Tale of an overheated 1.9. Be sure to read posts #11 and 21.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1502953

Last edited by Monolith; 08-01-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:03 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Another thing, I would have the fluid changed. I do not believe in lifetime fluids. Except maybe the life teh tranny, which means it dies when the fluid dies.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)