Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-01-2011, 01:31 PM
bodonx's Avatar
bodonx bodonx is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 455
Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Cargo Solution: What to get?

Hi Guys,

I have a 2011 535i. I need cargo accessories which can hold my groceries and to-go food boxes in the trunk.

These are the options:

1) Floor nets
2) Collapsible Box

Which ones are more useful based on your experiences? Any other better solutions in mind?

Thanks.

Last edited by bodonx; 08-01-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 08-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,558
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
There's a thread here somewhere which describes the official BMW collapsible box (which comes with a mat). Unfortunately that box falls apart.

This is what I use and I think the design is awesome. It will be in my F10 too.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2011/2683.html

Here's a third party version for less money.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
__________________

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 08-01-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-01-2011, 02:08 PM
bodonx's Avatar
bodonx bodonx is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 455
Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Thanks for the suggestions.

Does this box hold itself firmly during driving?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
There's a thread here somewhere which describes the official BMW collapsible box (which comes with a mat). Unfortunately that box falls apart.

This is what I use and I think the design is awesome. It will be in my F10 too.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2011/2683.html

Here's a third party version for less money.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Munich77 Munich77 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington DC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,019
Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Are there any electronics located in the lowest part of the trunk like on the E60? If so I would get the rubber cargo mat. For groceries I have been using a collapable box sold at the container store - works like a charm.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?p...ollapsible+box
__________________
2008 535 xi, space grey, black dakota leather, premium package, sport package, cold weather package, nav, folding seats, PDC

BMW CCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-01-2011, 02:39 PM
laser's Avatar
laser laser is offline
now driving number eight!
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,171
Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonx View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a 2011 535i. I need cargo accessories which can hold my groceries and to-go food boxes in the trunk.

These are the options:

1) Floor nets
2) Collapsible Box

Which ones are more useful based on your experiences? Any other better solutions in mind?

Thanks.
Bought a cargo net from Bavarian AutoSport, very handy, easy to deploy, and the four attachment points are already there in the F10 trunk.
__________________
Laser

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"
___________________________

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Houseofpang Houseofpang is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 528i M
I have a new OEM BMW F10 cargo net too for $40 if you are interested
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-01-2011, 03:38 PM
bodonx's Avatar
bodonx bodonx is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 455
Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseofpang View Post
I have a new OEM BMW F10 cargo net too for $40 if you are interested

Why are you selling it? Does it hold groceries well?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Houseofpang Houseofpang is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 528i M
End put putting a subwoofer in my trunk so had no need for it, http://kellybmw.oemdealer.com/5-seri...3410_34071.php

Last edited by Houseofpang; 08-01-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,558
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonx View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

Does this box hold itself firmly during driving?
I don't know about the amazon one. The Lexus one is tied down. I don't know if the F10 has the D shaped hooks to tie the straps to. If it does it will be stable, fold flat, be rigid when expanded, and the dividers are great for holding things tight if you only have one grocery bag, or separating things.
__________________

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Gran Turismo's Avatar
Gran Turismo Gran Turismo is offline
Alpina Addict
Location: Switzerland
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,352
Mein Auto: '11 Alpina B5 Biturbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I don't know if the F10 has the D shaped hooks to tie the straps to.
Yes, the F10 definitely has them too. I'm using them with the original BMW cargo net (accessories catalog), which I already used in the 650i. It's elastic and thus really useful. Its biggest advantage IMHO is its minimal size when not used, so you can stow it away in one of those side "pockets" in the trunk.

The only slight problem is if you have only one shopping bag which is taller than its base: Depending on your driving style, it might topple over because it has nothing else to lean against under the net. The good news: The items will usually remain under the net, at least the larger ones.
The easy solution: Better two half filled bags than an overfilled one. Or then some other larger item (crate, wrapped sixpack of larger bottles etc.) where the bag can lean against.
__________________
Current: 2011 Alpina B5 Biturbo Saloon
Retired: 2007 650i SMG Coupe


"Really skilled drivers have smashed bugs on their side windows too" - Walter Röhrl
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-02-2011, 05:50 AM
laser's Avatar
laser laser is offline
now driving number eight!
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,171
Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran Turismo View Post
Yes, the F10 definitely has them too. I'm using them with the original BMW cargo net (accessories catalog), which I already used in the 650i. It's elastic and thus really useful. Its biggest advantage IMHO is its minimal size when not used, so you can stow it away in one of those side "pockets" in the trunk.

The only slight problem is if you have only one shopping bag which is taller than its base: Depending on your driving style, it might topple over because it has nothing else to lean against under the net. The good news: The items will usually remain under the net, at least the larger ones.
The easy solution: Better two half filled bags than an overfilled one. Or then some other larger item (crate, wrapped sixpack of larger bottles etc.) where the bag can lean against.
This wouldn't be a issue here in the US ....... would never take a B5 Alpina to a grocery store
__________________
Laser

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"
___________________________

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-02-2011, 06:11 AM
Munich77 Munich77 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington DC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,019
Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
This wouldn't be a issue here in the US ....... would never take a B5 Alpina to a grocery store
I know - I would love to be able to have one in the US. On the upside, the B7 is very cheap compared to Europe .
__________________
2008 535 xi, space grey, black dakota leather, premium package, sport package, cold weather package, nav, folding seats, PDC

BMW CCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Gran Turismo's Avatar
Gran Turismo Gran Turismo is offline
Alpina Addict
Location: Switzerland
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,352
Mein Auto: '11 Alpina B5 Biturbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
would never take a B5 Alpina to a grocery store
Although getting OT: Sorry if I don't get the point why a grocery store should be more detrimental for your car than any other public car park?

I've already used the 650i for shopping for 5 years. So in those underground car parks I'm regularly using for shopping, I know EXACTLY where the widest parking spaces (or those right next to a wall) are located in oder to minimize the risk of door dings. Also there's constantly some people walking around, so chances that your car will be vandalized are much lower than at other, more lonely places.
__________________
Current: 2011 Alpina B5 Biturbo Saloon
Retired: 2007 650i SMG Coupe


"Really skilled drivers have smashed bugs on their side windows too" - Walter Röhrl
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-02-2011, 11:32 AM
laser's Avatar
laser laser is offline
now driving number eight!
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,171
Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran Turismo View Post
Although getting OT: Sorry if I don't get the point why a grocery store should be more detrimental for your car than any other public car park?

I've already used the 650i for shopping for 5 years. So in those underground car parks I'm regularly using for shopping, I know EXACTLY where the widest parking spaces (or those right next to a wall) are located in oder to minimize the risk of door dings. Also there's constantly some people walking around, so chances that your car will be vandalized are much lower than at other, more lonely places.
Sounds you live a sheltered life!

Just this week, parking in a large outdoor gently sloped grocery store parking lot, I saw an abandoned empty metal grocery cart gathering speed downhill looking for someones nice car to smash into.
__________________
Laser

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"
___________________________

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms