Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 z3 roadster
z3 amp power all speakers in car?

i have a 2002 z3 roadster with a harman kardon system...there is a amp in the trunk and i was wondering if the amp was just for the subwoofer between the seats or if it powered all the speakers in the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 441.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	287413  

Last edited by traviss351; 08-02-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
I have an '01 roadster with the HK system and there are 2 amps in the system.

One amp is located under the carpet on the left side of the trunk next to the top motor. This one drives the subwoofer.

The other amp is on the right-hand side of the trunk and drives the footwell, door and rear speakers behind the seats. All crossover functions are handled inside the amps except for a capacitor in-line with the midrange/tweeter connections in the door.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 z3 roadster
sub upgrade on the z

i would like to upgrade all the speakers in the car except the tweets in the doors ....i see no reason to change them and they are already capped....i am hoping upgraded speakers will sound good with the factory amp.....the problem i think i will have is with the subwoofer between the seat......i think it is a dual voice coil speaker and the kicker cvt65 that i would like to put in its place will not work ...due to it being a single voice coil speaker.....i think i would have to get a seperate amp for it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 429.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	287521  
Old 08-03-2011, 12:51 AM

Mein Auto: 200 BMW Z3 2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by traviss351 View Post
i would like to upgrade all the speakers in the car except the tweets in the doors ....i see no reason to change them and they are already capped....i am hoping upgraded speakers will sound good with the factory amp.....the problem i think i will have is with the subwoofer between the seat......i think it is a dual voice coil speaker and the kicker cvt65 that i would like to put in its place will not work ...due to it being a single voice coil speaker.....i think i would have to get a seperate amp for it

If you are looking for some thump, the kicker will not do it. I used to have a similar set up with the kicker, currently still have my infinity door speakers, and had replaced the amp for the subwoofer as well.

The Products:
Kicker 6.5" sub (in cabin between seats)
Alpine 400M (it was an older one)

The Result:
Horrible bass, never seemed to work right regardless of wiring set ups and power increased and decreased with various Hz ranges. The speaker just didn't perform as it should have and I was very disappointed.

When replacing everything, it wasn't difficult, and in the end kind of worth it as I later decided to power a subwoofer in the trunk (oversized at that) and it sounded about how I wanted it with the sacrifice of nearly the entire trunk as well as about 100 pounds in the rear which turns to make a nasty ride when you whip around corners.

My suggestion, just replace all the speakers in the car, and if you can or if you are handy with fabrication, move to replace the speakers behind the seats with some decent sized woofers. All of this should be powered easily with a 4 channel amp that you could replace the stock amp with (and leave the tweeters capped). This would produce not only a much better sound but it will put you about in the place that you want to be for an all in cabin speaker set up.

To this day I have not found a decent speaker that will fit in the middle section of my Zed 3. I've thought often about a 6w3 from JL, but those guys are difficult to place in there and would again require a decent amount of fabrication and then you could never make it look as stock as it should, let alone you would have a very difficult time building enough airspace to power the sub as needed as well, even though it is relatively small to begin with.

TO YOUR ORIGINAL QUESTION:
The basic HK amp will power the in car speakers just fine, the subwoofer amplifier cannot power an aftermarket subwoofer all too well... but the one thing to note, the car does track movement speed and will increase power to the speakers that you have with both the aftermarket amplifier as well as the stock ones. (This can be bypassed but I've forgotten how). But what this comes down to is a relatively lower RMS running to your in car speakers at all times, so when you throw in some decently power hungry new door speakers, be prepared not to get the best sound quality out of the amplifier in your boot already.

Hope this has all been very helpful.
BTW It should sound pretty decent with just door speakers, that's how mine is rocking now and I've left it that way for some time now.