Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-02-2011, 01:24 PM
vkperigord vkperigord is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 189
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i X-drive
Dynamic Damper Control

What does dynamic damper control do? and is it really worth it?
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 08-02-2011, 02:31 PM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,161
Mein Auto: E92 335i
controls the shocks. Soft, med or hard. Is it worth it, depends on what type of driver you are and what you value. For most people, no. For people who need multiple setting and controls and want the top of the line adjust-ability, yes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2011, 08:06 PM
freebird_76 freebird_76 is offline
Registered User
Location: EARTH
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: OPEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
controls the shocks. Soft, med or hard. Is it worth it, depends on what type of driver you are and what you value. For most people, no. For people who need multiple setting and controls and want the top of the line adjust-ability, yes.
I have sport automatic transmission with driving dynamics control.
There I have :

NORMAL
SPORT (with individual 3 programs: chasis, drive/power train, both )
SPORT+

modes...You pay less amount on this option in comparison to Dynamic Damper Control. I am not sure the rest is the same but the Comfort mode..

As i understood; we get COMFORT mode other than those two only with DDC option...Need confirmation on that ..

Last edited by freebird_76; 08-23-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-23-2011, 08:11 PM
bodonx's Avatar
bodonx bodonx is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 455
Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird_76 View Post
I have sport automatic transmission with driving dynamics control.
There I have :

NORMAL
SPORT (with individual 3 programs: engine, drivetrain, both )
SPORT+

modes...You pay less amount on this option in comparison with Dynamic Damper Control.

As i understood; we get COMFORT mode other than those two only with DDC option...
In the US, as long as you order $500 sport auto, you get the console button to configure driving mode (chassis and/or drivetrain) from normal to sport+
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-23-2011, 08:16 PM
freebird_76 freebird_76 is offline
Registered User
Location: EARTH
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: OPEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonx View Post
In the US, as long as you order $500 sport auto, you get the console button to configure driving mode (chassis and/or drivetrain) from normal to sport+
So then can we say Dynamic Damper Control only gives us Comfort mode option if we already have Sports Auto Option...?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-23-2011, 09:08 PM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,161
Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird_76 View Post
I have sport automatic transmission with driving dynamics control.
There I have :

NORMAL
SPORT (with individual 3 programs: chasis, drive/power train, both )
SPORT+

modes...You pay less amount on this option in comparison to Dynamic Damper Control. I am not sure the rest is the same but the Comfort mode..

As i understood; we get COMFORT mode other than those two only with DDC option...Need confirmation on that ..
It's confusing but the message you get on Idrive is a bit misleading. Chassis highlight in orange for your car does not include DDC or active roll stabilization. Do a search and you will find many threads on this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-20-2011, 05:45 AM
jhw1009 jhw1009 is offline
Registered User
Location: North Carolina
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: MDX
I am new to this forum and need some advice. I am considering the 2012 528i and looking into the options/packages.
1. Sports Package (ZSP) - I like all the features except the showdowline exterior trim (like the chrom trim instead). Can I order the ZSP without the showdoline?
2. Without the Dynamic Damper Control (normal, sport, sports), do I get the "normal/comfort" ride only?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-20-2011, 07:10 AM
radarguy radarguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 708
Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird_76 View Post
So then can we say Dynamic Damper Control only gives us Comfort mode option if we already have Sports Auto Option...?
Damper is another word for shock absorbers. In the case of DDC without Sport Auto you can control the damper characteristics with the console buttons. The transmission, RWD steering feel and throttle characteristics are also controlled by these buttons. There are four settings. Sport and Sport+ provide the same damper setting, but Sport+ turns the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) off. The buttons do not control steering feel on the X-drive models.

The Sports Auto Option without DDC does not control the dampers, instead the dampers operate at one fixed setting. The console buttons with the Sports Auto Option control the characteristics of the transmission, throttle and in RWD vehicles the steering feel. In Sport+ it also turns the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) off. The buttons do not control steering feel on the X-drive models. Of course you also get the paddle shifters with the Sport Auto.

If you have both DDC and Sports Auto, the console buttons control the dampers, RWD steering feel, throttle charateristics and the transmission simultaneously. You can use i-drive to determine what happens when you depress the Sport button, but not the Comfort, Normal and Sport+ buttons. These are preset by BMW.

Finally, if you have ARS (Automatic Roll Stabilization), the console buttons also control the characteristics of the roll stabilizer bars. In 2011 ARS and DDC came only as a package in the USA. In 2012 they can be ordered separately.

There is one more thing. You can can move the transmission shift lever to the left to place it in the Sport mode. Not to be confused with the Sport mode console button. This applies whether or not you have a sport transmission, DDC or ARS. This movement controls the shift points of the transmission. Essentially it holds a gear longer before it shifts up. I find that for a given road speed it is usually one gear lower than when the shift lever is in the normal position (not to be confused with the Normal console button). In fact, it will not shift to the eighth gear when the lever is in the Sport position. The lower gear provides quicker throttle response, but presumably uses more fuel.

I hope I captured all of the nuances. Kind of confusing. You have to live with it for a while to understand the differences. Whether or not any or all of the options are worth it is a personal preference and you should drive as many of the options that you can find. My feeling is if you are not a "spirited" driver you will not benefit from the DDC or ARS. If you have a RWD vehicle you may benefit from the added steering feel control that comes with the Sport Auto option.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-20-2011, 07:25 AM
DreamCar's Avatar
DreamCar DreamCar is offline
Moderator
Location: Planet Earth
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,440
Mein Auto: Future: F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post
Damper is another word for shock absorbers. In the case of DDC without Sport Auto you can control the damper characteristics with the console buttons. The transmission, RWD steering feel and throttle characteristics are also controlled by these buttons. There are four settings. Sport and Sport+ provide the same damper setting, but Sport+ turns the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) off. The buttons do not control steering feel on the X-drive models.

The Sports Auto Option without DDC does not control the dampers, instead the dampers operate at one fixed setting. The console buttons with the Sports Auto Option control the characteristics of the transmission, throttle and in RWD vehicles the steering feel. In Sport+ it also turns the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) off. The buttons do not control steering feel on the X-drive models. Of course you also get the paddle shifters with the Sport Auto.

If you have both DDC and Sports Auto, the console buttons control the dampers, RWD steering feel, throttle charateristics and the transmission simultaneously. You can use i-drive to determine what happens when you depress the Sport button, but not the Comfort, Normal and Sport+ buttons. These are preset by BMW.

Finally, if you have ARS (Automatic Roll Stabilization), the console buttons also control the characteristics of the roll stabilizer bars. In 2011 ARS and DDC came only as a package in the USA. In 2012 they can be ordered separately.

There is one more thing. You can can move the transmission shift lever to the left to place it in the Sport mode. Not to be confused with the Sport mode console button. This applies whether or not you have a sport transmission, DDC or ARS. This movement controls the shift points of the transmission. Essentially it holds a gear longer before it shifts up. I find that for a given road speed it is usually one gear lower than when the shift lever is in the normal position (not to be confused with the Normal console button). In fact, it will not shift to the eighth gear when the lever is in the Sport position. The lower gear provides quicker throttle response, but presumably uses more fuel.

I hope I captured all of the nuances. Kind of confusing. You have to live with it for a while to understand the differences. Whether or not any or all of the options are worth it is a personal preference and you should drive as many of the options that you can find. My feeling is if you are not a "spirited" driver you will not benefit from the DDC or ARS. If you have a RWD vehicle you may benefit from the added steering feel control that comes with the Sport Auto option.
That was very help full.. Thanks a Bunch.
I have one question so we get that console button (Button to control the modes comfort-sport-sport+) if we just order SAT?.... i thought it will only come with sport package or M package?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-20-2011, 07:28 AM
pcbrew pcbrew is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DFW
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 576
Mein Auto: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post
...
There is one more thing. You can can move the transmission shift lever to the left to place it in the Sport mode. Not to be confused with the Sport mode console button. This applies whether or not you have a sport transmission, DDC or ARS. This movement controls the shift points of the transmission. Essentially it holds a gear longer before it shifts up. I find that for a given road speed it is usually one gear lower than when the shift lever is in the normal position (not to be confused with the Normal console button). In fact, it will not shift to the eighth gear when the lever is in the Sport position. The lower gear provides quicker throttle response, but presumably uses more fuel.
...
Does selection of Sport with console button have the same effect on the transmission as this transmission Sport setting (moving the shift lever to the left)?

I would assume so - higher shift points, holding gear longer. But, what about the lockout of 8th gear?
I would likely use Sport most of the time but would still like to have benefit of 8th gear for fuel saving on the highway without dropping back to Normal.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-20-2011, 08:25 AM
radarguy radarguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 708
Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
That was very help full.. Thanks a Bunch.
I have one question so we get that console button (Button to control the modes comfort-sport-sport+) if we just order SAT?.... i thought it will only come with sport package or M package?
The three console buttons with SAT are labeled Normal, Sport and Sport+. Again, the buttons only control the transmission, RWD steering feel and throttle response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Does selection of Sport with console button have the same effect on the transmission as this transmission Sport setting (moving the shift lever to the left)?

I would assume so - higher shift points, holding gear longer. But, what about the lockout of 8th gear?
I would likely use Sport most of the time but would still like to have benefit of 8th gear for fuel saving on the highway without dropping back to Normal.
Both settings (Sport console button and left movement of the shift lever) lock out the eighth gear. Whether or not the shift points are exactly the same for both settings is debatable. I think they are identical. Since I usually drive with the shift lever to the left, except when on the highway, it has been five months or so since I compared them. You can configure the Sport console button to operate the transmission in the normal mode through the i-drive setup. The transmission always operates in the sport mode when the Sport+ console button is depressed.

One more complexity is the difference between SAT and non-SAT transmissions. The statements above apply to either transmission, but the transmission shift characteristics are supposedly different between the two. I can't tell you from experience what the differences are, but I like the way the SAT transmission operates.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-20-2011, 02:31 PM
jhw1009 jhw1009 is offline
Registered User
Location: North Carolina
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: MDX
Thanks, radarguy. This is very helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-20-2011, 03:48 PM
richschneid richschneid is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,580
Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
If you drive with the shift lever to the left on the highway the transmission will not shift by itself into 8th gear. It will stop in 7th. 8th gear is not "locked out", however. Just pull the shift lever back to put the car into 8th gear manually. I have done this repeatedly.
__________________
2011
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-21-2011, 01:29 AM
k44ent k44ent is offline
Registered User
Location: Midlands
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: F10 520d Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid View Post
If you drive with the shift lever to the left on the highway the transmission will not shift by itself into 8th gear. It will stop in 7th. 8th gear is not "locked out", however. Just pull the shift lever back to put the car into 8th gear manually. I have done this repeatedly.
+1, I nearly always keep it in sport + and if I need 8th just manually shift using the paddles. You can select 8th when in sport + and the lever in the normal position but is soon switches back to 7th and won't hold 8th.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-21-2011, 06:52 AM
nesterk's Avatar
nesterk nesterk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 226
Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
controls the shocks. Soft, med or hard. Is it worth it, depends on what type of driver you are and what you value. For most people, no. For people who need multiple setting and controls and want the top of the line adjust-ability, yes.
I'd say it's a MUST.
I drove base 535 for a few days and was really shocked - it drives like a barge. 10 years ago Toyota Camry was much stiffer than this.
IMHO, Sport mode should be the default - it makes this large car quite sporty. Not as stiff as I'd like on a curvy ramp high speed (you hit the road joint and feel how car swings to the outside), but for general usage - pretty OK.
Normal and Comfort makes my wife sick, so she is not using them at all.
I sometimes drive on the highway with Comfort - it reminds me my old Buick Lesabre, which was calmly sailing despite the road condition, wind, and 2 ounces disbalance on the front tire...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-21-2011, 07:07 AM
nesterk's Avatar
nesterk nesterk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 226
Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid View Post
If you drive with the shift lever to the left on the highway the transmission will not shift by itself into 8th gear. It will stop in 7th. 8th gear is not "locked out", however. Just pull the shift lever back to put the car into 8th gear manually. I have done this repeatedly.
I set the Sport mode to affect the suspension only, not the transmission.
When I need more power I just move lever to the left.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-21-2011, 10:05 AM
baloo588 baloo588 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Forest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 410
Mein Auto: car
I wish I got the DDC. I am not liking the standard suspension much.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-21-2011, 12:35 PM
kssod kssod is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cleveland
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 275
Mein Auto: Acura RL
So still difficult to understand but I think I got it...... 2011 non sport or M no suspension control and only get tranny sport by shifting stick to the left. If sport package without sport tranny same, but if sport and sport tranny with paddles one gets button that controls tranny and optiion for sport +. IF M package button controls both tranny and suspension.
2012 model things seem to change in that sport package now has DDC button, whether this changes tranny also if no sport tranny I am not sure.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-21-2011, 02:02 PM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,318
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo588 View Post
I wish I got the DDC. I am not liking the standard suspension much.
DDC is expensive, complex and IMO not very good. You might yield better results by changing your springs and dampers to a combination for your liking. Could be worth talking to a tuning company and see what they have/suggest.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-21-2011, 02:24 PM
baloo588 baloo588 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Forest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 410
Mein Auto: car
solstice,

So which suspension set up (tuner) do you prefer or are looking at?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-21-2011, 04:02 PM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,318
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo588 View Post
solstice,

So which suspension set up (tuner) do you prefer or are looking at?
I'm currently in a 2011 M3 so no tuning needed
I would check the usual suspects like AC Schnitzer and H&R to get an idea of pricing and then approach a reputable local tuner to get some options and ideas with pricing including installation. bikerboy had ACS springs installed on his DDC car and liked the result, he might be able to give you more insight in the process of selecting a tuner and installer for the F10.

Last edited by solstice; 09-21-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-21-2011, 05:17 PM
bmwarchitect bmwarchitect is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: upstate new york
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
DDC is expensive, complex and IMO not very good. You might yield better results by changing your springs and dampers to a combination for your liking. Could be worth talking to a tuning company and see what they have/suggest.
How do you avoid DDC in a 2012 if you want SAT? SAT requires sport or M-sport which have the EDC (assuming this is the same as the DDC referenced in this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-23-2011, 10:09 AM
plumber md plumber md is offline
Registered User
Location: az
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 23
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
help

I have read at leaast twenty posts on this subject. They have been very helpfu.l I have on my 535i ZSP, ZDH, and 2TB. MY question is there any difference once I am in sport mode and have configured both items. In other words, is there any difference not using either the paddles or shifting the selector to the left as far as handling( shocks, sway bars) or steering or signifcant shift changes. I am ,of course, not discussing the obvious use of manual choices of shifting. Thank you I hope my question is not too obtuse.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-23-2011, 10:25 AM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,318
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber md View Post
I have read at leaast twenty posts on this subject. They have been very helpfu.l I have on my 535i ZSP, ZDH, and 2TB. MY question is there any difference once I am in sport mode and have configured both items. In other words, is there any difference not using either the paddles or shifting the selector to the left as far as handling( shocks, sway bars) or steering or signifcant shift changes. I am ,of course, not discussing the obvious use of manual choices of shifting. Thank you I hope my question is not too obtuse.
Difference to what? The difference to Normal mode is slightly stiffer damping, better throttle response, delayed shift points and slightly stiffer steering. The tranny and throttle is noticeable the others are imo marginal.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 AM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,318
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwarchitect View Post
How do you avoid DDC in a 2012 if you want SAT? SAT requires sport or M-sport which have the EDC (assuming this is the same as the DDC referenced in this thread.
With M-sport you can't avoid DDC in 2011 or 2012. There is no option with a passive sports suspension which is a pity.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
5 series, 535xi, bmw, dynamic damper control, sports package


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms