Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-03-2011, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 11 328 vert - 08 135 vert
Looking for a E93 windscreen

Hello,

I am looking to buy a E93 windscreen, willing to pay shipping or pick up Eastern PA/ or NJ.

Please let me know if you are selling one!

Thanks, J3RZG1RL
Ads by Google
Old 08-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Cobb-Powered N55

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3RZG1RL View Post
I am looking to buy a E93 windscreen
Keep your eye on Bloomfield BMW's store in eBay Motors... http://stores.ebay.com/BMW-of-Bloomfield

They're currently selling new E93 windscreens for $425 with free shipping, and a couple of weeks ago they had one listed for $350. The former beats the price I negotiated with our dealer, and the latter trounced it.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
BMW in Stratham, NH had on their website, the screen for $395 + shipping.
Close to me so I ordered on the web and drove up to pick it up.
335Cabrio-2011 ED -retired
Z435i 2009 -retired

Z4 2004 -retired
Old 08-03-2011, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3 E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verts4Ever View Post
Keep your eye on Bloomfield BMW's store in eBay Motors... http://stores.ebay.com/BMW-of-Bloomfield

They're currently selling new E93 windscreens for $425 with free shipping, and a couple of weeks ago they had one listed for $350. The former beats the price I negotiated with our dealer, and the latter trounced it.
I bought mine from them. The windscreen makes a huge difference.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Cobb-Powered N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolneo View Post
A bit of a thread-jack on my part, but... Have you had any problems with the wind deflector falling down in a crosswind like some folks have reported? It's not uncommon to get unexpected strong wind gusts here along the Front Range, and I'm hoping that's not going to be an issue.

I've gathered some good ideas to minimize the problem if there turns out to be one, but I'd rather not have to mess with it if I don't need to.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 328i convertible
Wind screen for sale.

I have one that i don't use much because I seem to have the back seat occupied while driving. Its a year old and in very good condition with the case. I'll sell it for $350.00 + shipping. PM me if you are interested.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 11 328 vert - 08 135 vert
Bulldog, I sent you a private message - still learning the lingo on this board......THANKS! J3RZG1RL
Old 08-04-2011, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328i E93
Quote:
... Have you had any problems with the wind deflector falling down in a crosswind like some folks have reported?...
I have this problem from time to time. In fact, this issue has gotten worse as my deflector has aged (it is now 3 years old). I wonder if the joints have become loose from regular wear and tear (i.e. opening and closing).
Old 08-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Cobb-Powered N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by aba030 View Post
I have this problem from time to time. In fact, this issue has gotten worse as my deflector has aged (it is now 3 years old). I wonder if the joints have become loose from regular wear and tear (i.e. opening and closing).
Bummer... That's what I was thinking would happen, although I figured it might be because the tension on the hinges would lessen as the spring aged. Poor design, whatever the cause.

Guess I'll have to use the rubber blocks suggested by fun2drive, and/or put silicone washers in the hinges to get some more friction/tension there.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:05 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
They all do that my current E36 does, my former E46 did and my current E93 does.
I discovered that if you can get a small rubber block a couple inches square by 1/2-3/4" thick you can glue velcro to the 90 degree angle where the hinge is located (loops) and glue the hooks glued to the rubber to match that angle that it will allow the windblocker to never fall down and allow you to remove the blocks and store them top up.
Yes I know the angle is less than 90 degrees too but trim to fit if you are anal.

Hope that helps some...
Old 08-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Cobb-Powered N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
I discovered that if you can get a small rubber block a couple inches square . . . .
Thanks... Great stuff to add to my TDWSFH (to do when she's finally home) folder!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Thanks... Great stuff to add to my TDWSFH (to do when she's finally home) folder!
I followed Fun2drives guidelines and did blocks on my wind deflector. We get some pretty strong cross winds especially in the spring and it really helped. I grew up on the front range of Colorado so I know you are never without wind.

This will definitely help.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 08-04-2011, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3 E93
Quote:
A bit of a thread-jack on my part, but... Have you had any problems with the wind deflector falling down in a crosswind like some folks have reported? It's not uncommon to get unexpected strong wind gusts here along the Front Range, and I'm hoping that's not going to be an issue.

I've gathered some good ideas to minimize the problem if there turns out to be one, but I'd rather not have to mess with it if I don't need to.
I have used mine for a few months now and it has never fallen down, and we do get pretty windy here. However, I don't know if the problem will develop as time goes on. Keep my fingers crossed.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:25 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolneo View Post
Pardon my ignorance... in what way does it make a huge difference? I've been quite content with the airflow in my E93 and wondered what the value of the deflector is, especially considering the MSRP of the item... In what way is it beneficial? Wind on the back of your head, aerodynamic efficiency, other?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Cobb-Powered N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
This will definitely help.
Thanks, Kat!

Please pardon a dumb question for you and fun2drive, but where did you find the blocks? I've been trying to figure out where to buy them, but my underactive imagination is drawing a blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvator View Post
I've been quite content with the airflow in my E93 and wondered what the value of the deflector is
I suppose it's just a personal preference. Me, I don't necessarily need the deflector because my hair is always short (holdover from my military days half a lifetime ago). However, my wife prefers to wear her hair down and it's about as long as Kat's, and we love driving verts but after a while my wife gets tired of having the cabin turbulence blow her hair into her face. And she'll do the baseball cap/ponytail thing if necessary, but would prefer not to and I can't blame her.

I spent quite a while reviewing all the comments regarding the E93's wind management and the deflector before we decided to buy one, and the comments generally boiled down to one of two categories: about 10% were "I've never had one but don't see the need for it" (which is certainly a fair opinion); and about 90% were "I can't imagine driving my E93 without the deflector." The latter were enough to convince us to get it, although definitely not at MSRP (yikes).

Last edited by Verts4Ever; 08-05-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Convertible
Quote:
Pardon my ignorance... in what way does it make a huge difference? I've been quite content with the airflow in my E93 and wondered what the value of the deflector is, especially considering the MSRP of the item... In what way is it beneficial? Wind on the back of your head, aerodynamic efficiency, other?
For me, the main benefit is reduced air buffeting in the passenger compartment at highway speeds. It also significantly reduces swirling air at lower speeds. Kind of a silly explanation on my part considering that is the purpose of the thing. As far as aerodynamics, I don't think anyone, except maybe BMW wind tunnel testers, really cares about that aspect. And I agree the price point of the thing is a bit high. Mine was thrown in with my deal. Probably because they were laughing at what I paid for the car.
2001 X5, 2009 528i (retired)
Old 08-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
Thanks for the responses! I understand the "hair-swirling" concern... My hair is short enough that the "wind-blown" look suits me, but my wife and daughter have hair that would benefit from the added wind deflection... however, they are typically not in my car, and when they are, they put a scrunchy or a hairband on (I actually like the baseball hat / pony tail look, but my wife won't wear it... I even keep a "BMW" baseball hat in the car as a "loaner" for those with too much hair, or not enough! (sunburn )).

I guess if I could get one cheap enough I might consider it (I've seen that it can also be installed in such a manner as to keep things in the back seat area covered) but thus far, even $350 is too much for something that might get used a couple of times a year...
Old 08-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Thanks, Kat!

Please pardon a dumb question for you and fun2drive, but where did you find the blocks? I've been trying to figure out where to buy them, but my underactive imagination is drawing a blank.
I made my blocks. We used some sticky back furniture protector rubber. There is velcro then stickied to the wind deflector to hold them in place. Excuse the lousy quality of the camera phone pics, but here you can get an idea of what I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110805_105452.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	287852   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110805_105507.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	287853  

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 08-05-2011, 09:47 AM
energetik9

Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
Quote:
I've had one on a couple different convertibles and will buy one for my wife for her 128 vert. Granted, the aerodynamic properties of every car is different, but in general, I've always found that there is reduced buffering and at speed, I found a reduced noise level from the wind.

On another note, I had one on my M Roadster and because it sat so low, it was nice having the windscreen give some block from all the SUV and truck headlights at night. Not a deal breaker, but something I appreciated.

Not a required item, but I highly recommend em.
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...
Old 08-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Cobb-Powered N55

Quote:
I made my blocks.
Nice job. And thanks for the pics... They gave me a much better idea of what you all were talking about.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW M5
Quote:
I made my blocks. We used some sticky back furniture protector rubber. There is velcro then stickied to the wind deflector to hold them in place. Excuse the lousy quality of the camera phone pics, but here you can get an idea of what I did.

Thx for the pics Kat. Question for you. Did you put Velcro on two parts of the deflector (one on bottom of WD amd one on part of WD that folds down? Is that block with just one piece of Velcro really enough to keep it from getting knocked down and the Velcro coming undone?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: ca
Its a year old and in very good condition with the case
Old 06-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandit View Post
Thx for the pics Kat. Question for you. Did you put Velcro on two parts of the deflector (one on bottom of WD amd one on part of WD that folds down? Is that block with just one piece of Velcro really enough to keep it from getting knocked down and the Velcro coming undone?
Vandit,
I posted some additional pictures and explanation in your original thread since it seemed more on topic there than here.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Monaco Blue 'vert
I bought one off a guy on eBay for a good price.

Wife says that it makes a big difference to her. Hair doesn't blow around at all even at 80mph. Pleased with the results.