Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 05-22-2011, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: E39 M5
Unhappy M5 Wont Start , not sure what to try now.

Hi my first Post and really need some advise, I have a 99 E39 M5 that just wont start .

The car was not in use for a few weeks and the Battery went flat, I tried to start it with my booster pack but im concerned i might have flooded it and now it just does not seem to want to catch, i tried to jump start the car but still no luck.

The car tries to start , It sounds like it wants to but just wont ?

My question , what can i do next ,

What i have checked so far.

I checked the plugs they looked quite black and smelt of fuel , I changed the plugs but the car still wont start, I have spark at the plugs ?

I tried to remove the fuel pump fuse to see if the car would start but still no luck ( thinking it might have flooded when i tried to boost start it )

I tried 2 sets of keys and the fault still remains.

Im really lost as what to do ? i think it has been flooded but not sure how to overcome this ? all fuses seem to be ok ?

Please advise if anyone has any suggestions ?

Last edited by Aki2011; 05-22-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
you probably need a new battery to give the engine a strong cranking. The M5 needs a lot of juice to start the engine. Jump starting may not help unless the jumper cable is super large. In the past, I tried to jump start the M5 from a 2003 530i with a large jumper cable; the engine wouldn't even crank. However, a new battery got the car started.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
The BMW M5 requires a battery that is MUCH more cranking power than the rest of the E39 line. The M5 can NOT be EASILY jump started by normal cars. You would need to have a truck w/ DIESEL engine (i.e. a tow truck) to jump start an E39 M5 with a drained or aged battery.

beewang