Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Potential new X3 owner needs suggestions...

So my wife and I have narrowed down our 540iT replacement as being the new X3 35i. We have a good idea of the options we want, and would be ordering it. But there are some questions I have before fully committing...

1) As the X3 may also end up replacing my '97 F-150 as well, what is the X3 35's tow rating?

2) How well does xDrive work in real world snow and mud situations?

3) Because we are getting close to the new model year, what will be the differences between '11 and '12 X3s? Should I wait to order a '12?

4) I need to go test drive an X3 with non-active steering, but until then can anyone tell me if there is better feel (particularly at low speeds) with the regular steering?

5) Our 540iT has a set of 18" RG-Rs that I want to keep when we sell the car. The size is the same as the X3's, but I would expect the hub diameter might be different. If anyone is more of an expert than I on wheel fitment, could you tell me if it would be possible to fit these wheels to our new X3?

6) Is there an aftermarket NavTV system sold for the new X3, so pipe video through iDrive?

7) There is an outside chance that we might consider taking delivery at the Performance Center and road tripping back to CA. Has anyone done this? Is it worth doing?
Old 08-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Pal, you are probably already over the time limit for the '11 X3's and will be getting a '12 if you order anyway. There is a post here by nj356 that outlines what is new. One thing you WILL get with the 12's is "free floor mats"! You may want to hang on to the F-150 it is probably paid for and you can dial the mileage driven down for your insurance so that it costs you very little to keep it. Well worth having a truck available because when it is gone you will really miss it! It will tow better than the X3 anyway, and you won't have to worry about breaking or stressing anything expensive and hard to get on the new toy. Since you are in SoCal you are blessed with a plethora of BMW stores all salivating to get your business so shop around and you will find an amazing deal. Good luck!

Last edited by UncleJ; 08-04-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Pal, you are probably already over the time limit for the '11 X3's and will be getting a '12 if you order anyway. There is a post here by nj356 that outlines what is new. One thing you WILL get with the 12's is "free floor mats"! You may want to hang on to the F-150 it is probably paid for and you can dial the mileage driven down for your insurance so that it costs you very little to keep it. Well worth having a truck available because when it is gone you will really miss it! It will tow better than the X3 anyway, and you won't have to worry about breaking or stressing anything expensive and hard to get on the new toy. Since you are in SoCal you are blessed with a plethora of BMW stores all salivating to get your business so shop around and you will find an amazing deal. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

According to the dealer salesman last week we're still a couple months away from '12 ordering. Not saying 100% that he was correct.

Several of the other questions have been answered via additional research. I'm still looking for more info on #2, #5 and #6.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
12's start production as of September so unless the dealer has an August slot left, you will be getting a 2012.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
12's start production as of September so unless the dealer has an August slot left, you will be getting a 2012.
-Thanks for the heads-up. We may be ordering one tomorrow morning.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
So my wife and I have narrowed down our 540iT replacement as being the new X3 35i.
Interesting, I came to the same conclusion. We have a 2000 540iT and am getting prepared for it's replacement. Depending on how our iT behaves over time will determine if the replacement is sooner vs later. At 140K miles still runs fine, but need to address the leaking upper timing chain covers.

But without the new touring being brought over, there are few equals. Can't understand why the USA does not embrace a vehicle so darn practical. If the GT wasn't so expensive, it could be a contender. But the 5" extra rear seat leg room in the GT over an X3 is certainly a plus.

After making a chart of size and interior space comparing the E39 540iT, a new X3, new 5 and the new GT, it became quickly apparent that the X3 is the closet that BMW now has to offer to a 5 Series touring (in the US).

If the X3 were 5" shorter in height, and got 30MPG instead of 26, it would be about perfect. Don't understand why the MPG of the X3 is not at least as good as in the GT, when the X3 weighs about 400 lbs less.

An BMW if you are listening, when are we going to get the X3 diesel over here.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Well, our new X3 is on order. It'll be a 2011 35i, White/Chestnut/Wave Wood with Premium, Tech, and MSport.

Our 540iT will be up for sale soon after we take delivery of the X3.
2002, Sapphire Black, black interior, appx. 97000 miles.
Mods and features: Dinan S2 engine, S3 suspension with special valve-matched rear Konis, BBS RG-Rs with new 255/40R18 V12s, StopTech front BBK, LSD, BSW amp, sub and speakers, Check Corp front seat heaters/massagers. MTech front bumper, K2 (M5 style) mirrors, window tint.