Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-04-2011, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 325xi
Question Overheating issue

I'm looking for a little help on a nagging problem with my gf's BMW 325xi. It is an automatic and has about 90,000miles on it and we live in Phoenix to give you an idea of the ambient temperature. To make a long story short the reservoir tank was cracked and caused the car to overheat so I replaced that but the car still experienced overheating. I next replaced the water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, and belts. I knew the fan clutch to be bad for sure and I figured it was time for the other two. I have a scan gauge 2 hooked up to the car and have been seeing temperatures that fluctuate drastically. I will see temperature of around 200F once he car gets up to temperature and then after some stop and go driving it will go up to 220F-225F, on the freeway the temperature seems to stabilize around 215F. Obviously the dash gauge doesn't move but these seem a little high and volatile to me as my Mini Cooper will get up to temperature at 202F and will sit there like a rock. Kinda curious if anyone else has taken temperature readings and see any fluctuations that that or if it generally is constant. Yesterday she took the car out and the needle actually started to move off center. She turned off the a/c and the gauge went quickly back to center. I have to take this thing on a long roadtrip in a couple of weeks and would really like to have this problem fixed. I'm wondering if I got a faulty part, I'm open to any help and suggestions.
Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 08-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
You probably have an air bubble trapped in the system. Try bleeding it again, with the front end of the car slightly elevated....(make sure the heater & blower are on)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 AM

When I completed the work I had the cooling system flushed and bled at a garage as I was concerned about air pockets, but nothing says they did it right so I'll give that a try.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
Yes, I say bleed the system again.

Sometimes air can still be trapped.

Best

Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Old 08-04-2011, 03:45 PM

I mentioned that my Mini will run a steady 202F when I read from the Scan Gauge II, does anyone have a typical temperature that they usually run at and is it a constant? Just trying to get a baseline number that this system should be running at. thanks.