Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-04-2011, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Exclamation New X3 window problem

I'm new to this site. And I need some suggestions from you!

So my new X3 that only drove for 1 week had a problem with the driver side window. I sent to the dealer and was told the motor was broken and they might need to order parts to replace it from Germany if its unavailable in SC.

I might have to wait for 2 weeks to get it back. And I just got it 1 week ago!

The dealer rented a car for me to drive, but its not fully loaded as my car. They also told me if it had to ship from Germany they will probably give me some "compensation" since its a brand new car that had problems.

Do you guys know what I can ask from them as compensation? Any free service or complimentary accosseries?

Many thanks to your replies!!
Ads by Google
Old 08-05-2011, 04:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F25 x28 n52 + n20 / B8 A4
if your car was leased or financed they might offer to knock off a payment as a goodwill gesture but if you bought, not so sure. maybe accessories and the like as you mentioned.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
In CA there are some fairly tough lemon laws and BMW is well aware of them. Start documenting your experience now. Get the name/time/date of the person(s) you talk to, a note on the subject of the call, and a precis of what was said. Keep this handy and update it as required. If the car is not returned to you within 30 days (I believe) you can get it "lemoned" but BMW will never let that happen, they will move heaven and earth to get you another car. This may (hopefully) be an isolated incident and you will get the car fixed and move on. However if it is not, and you got a "Monday" car -- then you will need all the documention you can get. I would be very surprised if a window motor would not appear quickly toward the end of the 30 day period -- and the "sales manager's wife's" new X3 would suddenly have an inoperative window. Assuming everything goes well and the dealer gets the motor and fixes the window, be sure that the service write up shows that a new vapor barrier was installed. This is important because the vapor barrier keeps water from getting inside your X3's footwells.

Last edited by UncleJ; 08-05-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
I would follow UncleJ's advice about documentation, but wouldn't worry too much about lemon laws at this point. With anything electrical or mechanical the first hours of use are the most likely time for failure. Chances are that once the window motor is replaced the car will be fixed.

I do however share your disappointment in BMW not stocking parts in the US. By now they should have at least a complete set of repair parts and not constantly rely on shipments from Europe for just about everything.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. (Mark Twain)

any spelling or gramitical errors on my part are just glitches that appear to those that are not pproperly keyed into my code generator. If this occurs, pleas PM me for an updated deKription key.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 28i
I had exactly the same problem with the motor for the passenger side window within two weeks of delivery. They ended up taking the window motor/regulator out of another X3 they had at the dealership because the part was on a long backorder (like 1 month) from Germany. Seems to work fine now.