Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 03-23-2004, 12:26 PM
pixA4

Mein Auto:
THE NEW BMW 1 SERIES (BMW Press Release)

Sheer Driving pleasure now also to be found in the compact class:
(The BMW 1 Series 5-door hatchback model will not be offered in the US. The availability and introduction timing of future 1 Series variants in the US has not been determined.)

Munich. In the autumn of 2004 BMW will unveil for the very first time a compact class automobile - the BMW 1 Series with five doors and a length of 4.23 metres, making this new model series precisely 24 centimetres shorter than a 3 Series saloon. The typical BMW drive concept, powerful engines, high-grade equipment and the experience of sheer driving fun offer a new and unique alternative in this particular market segment.

Right from the very first glance there is no doubt that this new five-door sports-hatch is a BMW through and through: The long wheelbase with a short front overhang, the lower roof line with the typical C-pillar kink and the characteristic front end with the "kidney" grille and double headlamps give the 1 Series a face that stands out in a crowd. The practical hatch opens to reveal a variable luggage compartment that offers the driver and passengers 330 to 1150 litres of storage space for even larger items of sports equipment for a variety of leisure activities.

Unique agility and steering precision.

Whether loaded or not, the 1 Series is always sheer pleasure to drive: The seating position offering long-distance driving comfort and the exemplary, clearly structured cockpit provide the driver with perfect ergonomics during his "driving experience". After starting the engine at the push of a button, one immediately senses that typical driving pleasure only a BMW can induce. Thanks to its agility and steering precision unique in the compact class, the BMW 1 Series not only ensures sporty but smooth handling of winding country roads, but also facilitates effortless urban driving pleasure. This is because - like all other BMW automobiles - the 1 Series has a front-mounted engine and rear wheel drive. Even in the tightest of bends there is no torque steer to be felt, the rear wheels having optimal traction when transferring the engine's power onto the tarmac.

Moreover, this concept offers an ideal balance of weight between the technically elaborate aluminium front axle and the five-link rear suspension. Together all of these characteristics facilitate further advantages such as optimal traction even when fully loaded and on hills. The drive and suspension concept is further enhanced by a particularly stiff body and excellent aerodynamics with a drag coefficient of just 0.29.

On the whole no other vehicle in the compact class offers such a distinctively harmonious symbiosis of sporty driving characteristics and suitability for long-distance travel as the BMW 1 Series.

Four engine variants from 115 to 163 bhp.

When the car is launched customers will have an immediate choice of four four-cylinder engines. The models 116i (85 kW / 115 bhp) und 120i (110 kW / 150 bhp) feature further developed and refined BMW petrol engines. The two diesel versions, the 118d (90 kW / 122 bhp) and the120d (120 kW / 163 bhp) are equipped with high-torque diesel engines. Needless to say, all BMW 1 Series cars meet with EU4 emission standards. A smooth-shifting manual six-speed gearbox (five-speed on the 116i) or, optionally, a comfortable six-speed automatic deliver power to large-size 16-inch wheels with emergency running properties, thereby contributing to the most dynamic performance available in this segment. Furthermore, the BMW 1 Series is one of the most economical in its class.

Active and passive safety at the highest level.

Robust, large disc brakes provide supreme stopping power in any situation. By means of two-stage brake light clusters the BMW 1 Series indicates to vehicles behind whether the brakes are being applied normally or hard. And the extensive range of standard safety equipment, which includes DSC Dynamic Stability Control, DBC Dynamic Brake Control, Electronic Differential Lock as well as a complete airbag system comprising head airbags for all seats, complies with the most stringent safety requirements. These safety features and an exemplary protective body structure are the best prerequisites for achieving five stars in the Euro NCAP crash test.

Equipment options normally associated with more luxurious classes.

In addition to the wide range of basic equipment, there are a myriad of possibilities to individualize the BMW 1 Series with optional equipment available in the usual high BMW quality. Many of these have previously only been seen in higher vehicle segments. These include: Convenient keyless access, Bluetooth mobile interface, sports seats with backrest width adjustment, acoustic PDC Park Distance Control at the front and the rear, Bi-Xenon headlights and a choice of high-performance audio and navigation systems, which can also be operated centrally or by voice control utilizing the BMW state-of-the-art iDrive operating concept.

With its unique concept, the BMW 1 Series is intended to target customers who have always appreciated the practical aspects of previously available compact vehicles but have, until now, searched in vain for an automobile that takes into consideration their increased demands in terms of driving pleasure and individuality. Whilst fully meeting these customer requirements, the BMW 1 Series offers in addition high-quality product substance wrapped up in a modern and attractive design.

Overview of specifications

116i 85 kW /115 bhp at 6000 rpm; 150 Nm at 4300 rpm; cubic capacity 1.6 litres; 0-62 in 10.8 s; top speed 200 km/h (124 mph); fuel consumption 7.5 ltr/100km

120i 110 kW / 150 bhp at 6200 rpm; 200 Nm at 3600 rpm; cubic capacity 2.0 litres; 0-62 in 8.7 s; top speed 217 km/h (135 mph); fuel consumption 7.4 ltr/100km

118d 90 kW / 122 bhp at 4000 rpm; 280 Nm at 2000 rpm; cubic capacity 2.0 litres 0-62 in 10.0 s; top speed 201 km/h (125 mph); fuel consumption 5.6 ltr/100km

120d 120 kW / 163 bhp at 4000 rpm; 340 Nm at 2000 rpm; cubic capacity 2.0 litres; 0-62 in 7.9 s; top speed 220 km/h (137mph); fuel consumption 5.7 ltr/100km

The BMW 1 Series made in Germany.

The BMW 1 Series is manufactured at the ultra-modern Regensburg plant, utilizing production facilities which provide some of the highest possible levels of flexibility and model diversity in the automotive industry, but which at the same time offer the best possible standard of present-day workplace ergonomics.

With the BMW 1 Series, the BMW Group is laying an important cornerstone for further profitable growth. Market researchers see the premium segment of the compact class as the market with large potential worldwide. Thanks to its unique vehicle concept, the BMW 1 Series will gain a disproportionately large share of the market and contribute to a further sharpening of the BMW brand profile.

Prices for the BMW 1 Series are shortly to be announced. The market launch is planned for the autumn of 2004. The BMW 1 Series will celebrate its auto show debut at the Paris Motor Show.

Additional photos in high-resolution quality can be viewed at www.press.bmwgroup.com as from 23 March 2004.

NOTE: The BMW 1 Series 5-door hatchback model will not be offered in the US. The availability and introduction timing of future 1 Series variants in the US has not been determined.
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2004, 12:27 PM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Thank You !!
Old 03-23-2004, 12:27 PM
pixA4

Mein Auto:
No problem. I'll post up the pictures in a few
Old 03-23-2004, 12:40 PM
stop staring at me swan

Mein Auto: E90 335
Dont know if this is good news or bad news...
Old 03-23-2004, 12:45 PM
pixA4

Mein Auto:
Pictures of the 1-series...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1series_one.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	27820   Click image for larger version

Name:	1series_two.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	27821   Click image for larger version

Name:	1series_three.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	27822   Click image for larger version

Name:	1series_four.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	27825   Click image for larger version

Name:	1series_five.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	27826  

Old 03-23-2004, 12:47 PM
pixA4

Mein Auto:
A couple more...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1series_six.jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	27827   Click image for larger version

Name:	1series_seven.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	27828  
Old 03-23-2004, 12:48 PM
~~~~~~~~~~

Send a message via AIM to LeucX3
Mein Auto: 06 VW Jetta GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixA4
A couple more...
I like the darker color better than lighter. Strange how that's always the case with newer BMWs.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:04 PM
ober-slacker

Send a message via AIM to WAM
Mein Auto: 325i Sport
Here are some detailed interior shots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1Series_Int1.gif
Views:	717
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	27834   Click image for larger version

Name:	1Series_Int2.gif
Views:	920
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	27835   Click image for larger version

Name:	1Series_Int3.gif
Views:	784
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	27836  
Old 03-23-2004, 06:07 PM
ober-slacker

Send a message via AIM to WAM
Mein Auto: 325i Sport
Some more. I like the black trim in the Sand interior.

What are the 2 slots for, CD/DVD?

What is the second button, next to the driver seat heater?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1Series_Int4.gif
Views:	2005
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	27837   Click image for larger version

Name:	1Series_Int5.gif
Views:	761
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	27838   Click image for larger version

Name:	1Series_Int6.gif
Views:	812
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	27839  

Last edited by WAM; 03-23-2004 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:41 PM
Nothing specific

Mein Auto: 03 325Ci 5spd SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM
Looks like Park Distance Control to me. Seems silly on such a small car.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:50 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalys
Looks like Park Distance Control to me. Seems silly on such a small car.
...but you can get it on a MINI...
Old 03-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Nothing specific

Mein Auto: 03 325Ci 5spd SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
...but you can get it on a MINI...
Well, even more so then.

I guess it might be useful for small objects that are below your line of sight.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:51 PM
What to do...?

Mein Auto: 128i
It's that knob thingy
Old 03-23-2004, 09:31 PM
MotorCityMadman

Mein Auto: '04 330i ZHP
Here guys: Go to the official press release site:

1-Series Press Release Site

It's worth exploring....unlike last time around....
Old 03-23-2004, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: .
more

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1989 325is, 1995 m3
As a side note, in the top few pics it looks like they are playing up the part lines between body panels in photoshop - it almost look like they outlined every individual piece on the car. The "only 1" ads don't seem to do it, or at least it's not as objectionable. Anyone have any idea why they'd do that?
Old 03-24-2004, 10:34 AM
MotorCityMadman

Mein Auto: '04 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryfarms
As a side note, in the top few pics it looks like they are playing up the part lines between body panels in photoshop - it almost look like they outlined every individual piece on the car. The "only 1" ads don't seem to do it, or at least it's not as objectionable. Anyone have any idea why they'd do that?
Well, we know that BMW takes great pride in the purposeful lines and contours in their vehicles. And no matter how Bangle tickles you, you can't really argue that the autos are dynamically sculptured.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 325is, 1995 m3
While I agree that the part lines help you read the form, I think most designers would be happier if there weren't any panel divisions at all. Recently there's been more effort on most cars to make them part of the overall design, probably partly due to new manufacturing techniques that allow more complex shapes, but I think the intergration of the seams is more a begrudging acceptance of reality. I mean, most concept sketches still leave out door handles, side mirrors etc. because they generally take away from the overall shape of the car.

Maybe the hard black outlines are something added afterwards so the panel lines wouldn't drop out in print?

anyway, sorry to veer so far OT.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!

Mein Auto: 320CiC
This is a bizzarre shape(again).....I dont know how much it will sell.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 320i F1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leuc330Ci
I like the darker color better than lighter. Strange how that's always the case with newer BMWs.
With the darker colors you don't see as many panel divisions or break lines, maybe thats why they tend to look better. Thats one of the main ponits I don't like about the newer BMWs, they seem desociated, like a puzzle made of many tiny little pieces put toghether .

At least this one being a hatchback doesn't have the most hedious off all Bangle features, that huge rear appendage he calls a trunk lid

IMHO
Ricardo
M68's
Alcantara Cloth seats
Aluminum Pedals (///M logo)
35 % tint
If someone is selling OEM Xenons Please tell me
Old 04-27-2004, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 540i auto (Black)
You know, from some angles it resembles an ///M Coupe.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:51 PM
95NU>*

Mein Auto: '04 Imola/Cinn M3
Old 05-03-2004, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Imola M3
Hmmm...kinda like Bizarro-Bimmer (think Superman's nemesis). But I think it's really started to grow on me. Also agree that the darker colors look better--which is pretty much the case for me with all the new cars. Love the interior trim, and also digging the 6-sp shift knob. Never liked sand interior, though. It looks like the car will have keyless start, as evidenced by the "Start/Stop Engine" button to the right of the steering wheel. I guess this will be a feature/option on all post-1 BMWs?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM
Here are some detailed interior shots.
Will they finally do away with the ridiculous dial on the dash for HVAC?! Praise God!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM
Some more. I like the black trim in the Sand interior.

What are the 2 slots for, CD/DVD?

Argh, I just noticed they moved the window controls from where they should be.

I'm a stickshift driver so I find that the window controls in the center console are perfect. I always steer with my left while my right can fiddle with the stick or the windows or the door lock. It's perfect! Why are they changing this on all the new bimmers?