Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E82 1M Coupe (2011 - 2012)

E82 1M Coupe (2011 - 2012)
In many ways the spiritual successor to the E30 M3. Powered by a M derivitive of the N54 the inline six makes 340hp and giving the 1M a 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: Z3M Coupe
Extended Warranty Question

Just for starters I doubt there are enough "data points" out there to give a reasoned answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway.

I have just purchased but not yet received a 2011 1M Coupe purchased used from a Canadian seller for importation into the USA. The car will be modified before shipping to do the changeover from KMs to Miles. It presently has approximately 26,000 miles on it, and retains about 6-7 months or perhaps a little less of the original MFRs warranty, which I have been assured by a US BMW dealer is valid in the USA. I will receive the car in mid-May, and it is billed as being in "pristine" condition, although it was not possible for me to examine it prior to purchase due to distance and other factors. The seller is reputed to be reputable. I have spoken to the Canadian BMW dealer's shop where the car was serviced and he tells me the car had its regular required maintenance done and they have found nothing concerning to be wrong with the vehicle.

One concern I had was rust as the car came out of eastern Canada and was clearly driven in the winter. The selling dealer and servicing dealer have both told me there is nothing to worry about. We shall see on that. It is not like there are a large quantity of these cars out there for purchase at semi-reasonable prices with reasonable mileage.

I am trying to decide if I should consider buying the BMW-offered extended warranty that is available from BMW service departments on vehicles coming out of warranty. Obviously, I need to get a feel for the vehicle itself and see if it looks troublesome once I get my hands on it. On the other hand, this vehicle is not going to get driven a lot of miles as I have a couple of vintage Z3 Coupes already in my collection, not to mention my "real" car which isn't even a BMW.

I might only put a couple of thousand miles on this M1 per year, as I am really buying it as part of a collection of cars I hope to keep at low mileage and in really good shape for a decade or more.

My best guess is that it makes no sense for an owner such as myself who will put limited miles on this car to buy an extended warranty on it after the original warranty expires by the end of this year. I do however solicit any input that forum members might give based on their knowledge of expensive to fix issues that have been common on these cars, or if they themselves based on their own experiences will or have already bought the BMW extended warranties for their M1s.

Also factoring into this is whether other people have been using local, non-BMW repair shops for their M1s as they come out of warranty and if they have found these shops to be up to the task. I would not take either of my Z3 Coupes to a BMW branded dealer's shop, but then those are much older cars with lots less electronics and no real reason to take them into a BMW dealer for service.

thanks.

Last edited by champignon; 04-29-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Advertisement