Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series

M Series
The ///M Series Forums. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 03-23-2004, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: E30 M3
2.5L Piston Specs

Hey Guys,
I'm in the process of rebuiling my engine. Im getting JE pistons. Can anybody help me out on getting some specs for the 2.5L, prefer info from somebody who's done it. Thanks for any help. The info I need is as follows. I havent pulled the head,
Deck Clearance
2.5L Head Gasket thickness
exact Combustion Chamber volume in cc's
and if anybody did this in California, what compression did you use. and how's the 91 octane working for you??
Thanks for anybody's help/ info.
Ads by Google
Old 03-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Car Junkie

Mein Auto: '88 M3, Ex-'99 M3
Welcome.

I was very sorely tempted to go the 2.5 route myself, but I stopped myself somehow. Unfortunately, I didn't do much research on the various piston options, as I had decided to use my original pieces.

The info you want is definitely out there. I suggest you either pose your questions to the E30 M3 SIG (a group within BMWCCA), or to the folks at iigomotiv:

http://www.iigomotiv.com

Jefrem helped me out immensely when I went through my own rebuild (which culminated just last week). He probably have the engine specs tattooed to his eyelids by now. Good luck.

'88 M3
Conforti chip, Evo airbox/K&N filter, UUC short shift kit, oil pan baffle, Hella H4 lights, OEM glass sunroof
sold: '99 M3 Coupe
Cosmos Black
Airbox baffle removed, ZKW ellipsoid headlights, UUC short shift kit, BMW x-brace, debadged

'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8
(Support Vehicle)
Old 03-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Car Junkie

Mein Auto: '88 M3, Ex-'99 M3
BTW: Most of the "2.5L kits" available from places like Turner use 11.25:1 pistons, or somewhere in that generaly area. I've heard conflicting things about whether those pistons have detonation issues on CA gas. If you plan to run your car primarily on the street, you might want to step back on the compression a bit. Stepping back a smidge won't leave you all that far down on power, and it should definitely help with engine preservation. At least, that's what I was told months ago.

'88 M3
Conforti chip, Evo airbox/K&N filter, UUC short shift kit, oil pan baffle, Hella H4 lights, OEM glass sunroof
sold: '99 M3 Coupe
Cosmos Black
Airbox baffle removed, ZKW ellipsoid headlights, UUC short shift kit, BMW x-brace, debadged

'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8
(Support Vehicle)
Old 03-23-2004, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the info. believe me I've been doing the research, I have specs from a friend who's popping a stroked s14 into his 2002. But he doesn't have some of the specs that i need. This is primarily a driving school/ weekend car.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:39 PM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
iigomotiv will have a chip for 2.5s with 91 gas for Calfornia.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
iigomotiv will have a chip for 2.5s with 91 gas for Calfornia.
Thanks Bruce