Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650i convertible
windshield wiper speed

Is it me or does the windshield wiper speed seem a little slow on high? I've never had a hard time seeing in bad rainstorms on my other BMWs in the past. I've tried in rain sensing mode and in manual. I had to slow to 20mph on the interstate because I was having trouble seeing. I've never had to do that. Maybe some Rain-X is in my future. Not a big deal but wondering if anyone else has noticed it or is it my imagination?

Advertisement
Old 08-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
It does seem slow, but I've never had to slwo down even in very heavy rain.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Noticed this as noted in a previous thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=546658

Kind of disappointed that BMW is kind of neglecting some of the smaller but pertinent driving details. It's not just the F10, but all the newest BMWs are the same, like the F25 X3.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 08-06-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Yes the Fast setting is very slow. I noticed this in some serious downpours. Wanted to avoid rain-x/aquapel but oh well.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:27 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
+1. Just don't understand it. High speed on my F10 wipers is considerably slower than that on my previous '08 335i.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 08-06-2011, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
It is pouring!
When it rains this hard, I don't think it really matters how fast the wipers are going, you can't see either way.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
It is pouring!
When it rains this hard, I don't think it really matters how fast the wipers are going, you can't see either way.
I agree with TJPark: that's a heavy downpour. The wipers are doing their job, but you cannot see well far ahead because of the heavy rain. At any rate, you need Rain-X, you can see that on the glass that is not being wiped. Visibility will improve with Rain-X for sure, even more so at speeds above 50.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:40 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
I have not had any issue by a too slow wiper speed.
I would like to try the rainex though, this is a rainy country.
How frequent do you have to reapply the product, someone with experience here?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i/2009 x5
from an expert
"as far as rain-x goes it is a 4 step process. First clean your window. Then spray it on a cotton cloth and apply with the cloth. let it sit until it hazes up about 2 minutes. then get a wet cotton cloth and wipe in a circular motion. Then get a dry cotton rag and wipe again the same way you did with the wet one. It will last about 2 months depending on how often you use your wipers. Washer fluid and car washes wont take it off. The only thing that wears it off is use of your blades. And yes it is not good to get on your car paint. Rain-x is basically a alcohol based product and can harm your clear coat. What it does is fills in the pours of your windshield. Even though you cant see them there are millions of small pours in you glass. Rain-x fills them in so your window becomes more smooth. The faster you go the better it works."

2008 328i dark graphite ,cold weather pack,USB/ ipod/black leatherette SOLD
hers: 2009 X5 alpine white, dakota tobbaco leather,sport, DHP
premium pack
Old 08-07-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
I agree with TJPark: that's a heavy downpour. The wipers are doing their job, but you cannot see well far ahead because of the heavy rain. At any rate, you need Rain-X, you can see that on the glass that is not being wiped. Visibility will improve with Rain-X for sure, even more so at speeds above 50.
It is heavy rain but I've been in a lot heavier with no issues with my other cars. It's not a giant deal but if given a survey of the car, I would mention it as something they need to correct. I was always the car doing the passing in downpours in my last 5 and my X6. Now I'm getting to the far right lane and checking my mirror to make sure nobody hits me. It's not something that I lose sleep over but it is noticeable. Maybe it's a good thing. I probably need to go slower in storms anyway.

I'm putting Rain-X on it today so all will be well. Heavy thunderstorms are supposed to roll through later today too.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
I used to put Rain-X on my E46. ... My F10 is still more than a month away. ... Whimper.

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
Old 08-07-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet View Post
I used to put Rain-X on my E46. ... My F10 is still more than a month away. ... Whimper.
The anticipation is great though isn't it. Like a kid waiting on Christmas.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbod View Post
The anticipation is great though isn't it. Like a kid waiting on Christmas.
Yes. But.

(Sorry for the mini-thread hijack. Back to the windshield wipers.)

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
Old 08-07-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondoc72 View Post
from an expert
"as far as rain-x goes it is a 4 step process. First clean your window. Then spray it on a cotton cloth and apply with the cloth. let it sit until it hazes up about 2 minutes. then get a wet cotton cloth and wipe in a circular motion. Then get a dry cotton rag and wipe again the same way you did with the wet one. It will last about 2 months depending on how often you use your wipers. Washer fluid and car washes wont take it off. The only thing that wears it off is use of your blades. And yes it is not good to get on your car paint. Rain-x is basically a alcohol based product and can harm your clear coat. What it does is fills in the pours of your windshield. Even though you cant see them there are millions of small pours in you glass. Rain-x fills them in so your window becomes more smooth. The faster you go the better it works."
Thnx! I am going with your advise.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:27 PM
BMWCCA Member

Mein Auto: ED 2012 535xi TiAg
Not only do the wipers appear slower, but the articulated right side wiper is no longer there.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWF View Post
Not only do the wipers appear slower, but the articulated right side wiper is no longer there.
Yes what I rather like, it is somewhat more tranquil now the funny movement is not longer there on the long rainy journeys.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535xi
[QUOTE=tbod;6238675]Is it me or does the windshield wiper speed seem a little slow on high? I've never had a hard time seeing in bad rainstorms on my other BMWs in the past. I've tried in rain sensing mode and in manual. I had to slow to 20mph on the interstate because I was having trouble seeing. I've never had to do that. Maybe some Rain-X is in my future. Not a big deal but wondering if anyone else has noticed it or is it

When We were coming back to New Hampshire from a trip to Gettysburg we were in driving, heavy rain most of the way home. The wipers on high were not fast enough to clear the windshield and I had to slow way down. These were the slowest wipers I have had since my 53 Chevy that used to rest at times and then start working again.

When I got back to NH I brought the car back to the dealer to check the wipers. They did a water test of the wipers and said they were OK and to make me feel better they changed the driver side wiper that seemed to be less effective to me on that recent trip. In my opinion, the top speed is not fast enough. We are about to go to Pittsburgh and after reading this post I am going out to try Rain-X again. It didn't help much on that Gettysburg trip but maybe I applied it wrong. I will try the method suggested by Jondoc72.
2011 535i X Drive - Space Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Wood Trim, Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Cold Weather Package, Active Seat Ventilation, Premium Packages 1&2, Smartphone Integration.

2012 BMW R1200RT light magnesium, Sport/Touring Motorcycle
Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Familienwappen

Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
Somewhat agree on wiper speed. On manual setting of high they are a bit slower than other cars I've owned. However, on automatic they coped quite well with the downpour we had and the truck splash as well, as well as the best wipers than have been on the cars. Why they run better on automatic v. manual there's the question. All that said have been a fan of Rain-X since it first came out. First application is a pain, but when done right it's great. I also use the Rain-X washer fluid. Have found it good at cutting the most of the bugs and renewing the Rain-X coating on the windshield. Like another poster said, go faster it works better.

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Old 08-08-2011, 03:26 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgtMel View Post
However, on automatic they coped quite well with the downpour we had and the truck splash as well, as well as the best wipers than have been on the cars. Why they run better on automatic v. manual there's the question.
There's nothing faster about being in rainsense mode -- in addition to automatic intermittent, if sufficient water is detected, they can only wipe at the speeds provided in manual mode, low and high. Compared with the excellent rainsense wipers in my '08 335i, the difference between low and high speeds in my 535i are nearly indiscernible. There's a reason for everything, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why they would choose a slower high speed, especially when the car is built in a country noted for its high-speed driving.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 08-08-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 535Xi M Sport
100% agree really disappointed with my $70K car that has a very poor wipers!!!!! Even my Camry and previous Maxima had a better wipers with very high speed setting when needed.

I had to do exactly like you , drive slowly on the right side with flashers on the whole time. Parked near a restaurant as it was really impossible to see anything or drive! The funny thing is even on manual mode its not so fast and when I slowed down to be able to see the road the wipers slowed down too!!! Had to use the Auto rain sensing as it was faster than the manual mode !!! I believe no mater how complicated a car is there should be a way for the driver to override all these systems and simply chose the fastest speed by moving the lever to Max!! I had an option on my Maxima to disable the speed sensing function.

Is that the Germans engineering!!! Is that the ultimate driving machine!!! Cant do a good wipers!!

Pls nobody tell me go and code it, this is bs and might void my warranty ! A car at this class should have adequate wipers!!!

2013 535Xi Alpine White/Brown Cinnamon. M Sport - Premium - Tech - Cold Weather - Driver Assist - Soft Touch Doors - Premium Hi Fi - Auto Rear Sunshade

Last edited by ahmadddd; 09-12-2013 at 07:51 PM.