Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 08-07-2011, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 5 series, M3, Tahoe
TPS Water Damage?

Hopefully somebody has dealt with the following issue. Somehow our TPS unit in the trunk was damaged by pooling water in the trunk of our 2008 528xi. We park the car in a garage at all times when we are home. The dealer said he had heard of water entering the trunk when driving in rain. The trunk "lifts up" to allow water under the seal? I am getting ready to turn in the car at the end of our lease and I would like to possibly get some evidence of this problem to prevent me from being charged.

Thanks for all of your responses in advance.
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2011, 12:24 PM

Sorry. I meant TPM Water Damage

I meant TPM Water Damage not TPS. Sorry.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:12 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Below is a thread that you may want to read in its entirety. You will gain insight and make your decision on how to deal with your issue. There are others but this is one of the longer running one dealing with your issue...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=259095

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 08-28-2011, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 650i
It is an easy fix. Order the TPM module online around $64 and replace it. It will take about 10 minutes at best . The dealer will tell you that it will cost around $600 to replace and to program. As long at the dealer knows your VIN numer you will not have to program it to your car. It is plug and play.
Silver / Gray
Old 08-29-2011, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmad1 View Post
Hopefully somebody has dealt with the following issue. Somehow our TPS unit in the trunk was damaged by pooling water in the trunk of our 2008 528xi. We park the car in a garage at all times when we are home. The dealer said he had heard of water entering the trunk when driving in rain. The trunk "lifts up" to allow water under the seal? I am getting ready to turn in the car at the end of our lease and I would like to possibly get some evidence of this problem to prevent me from being charged.

Thanks for all of your responses in advance.

My tire pressure monitor went out as well. I didn't realize that it was in the trunk. When I took it into the dealership, they told me that water sometimes leaks into the trunk, possibly from heavy rain, and causes it to short out. They replaced it with no questions asked as the car was under warranty. However, when they explained where the TPM was and that it had gotten wet, I knew immediately what had happened. The malfunction light went on when I started the car up one morning when I was on an out of town trip. Before starting the car that, I put our luggage in the trunk and noticed that the cooler we had used for drinks the prior day had tipped over spilling water into the trunk. I didn't connect the malfunctioning TPM with the water until the dealer mentioned the reason for the malfunction.

The dealer didn't ask me anything about water in the trunk and I didn't mention anything. It seems to me that BMW should have the TPM system protected better or, at the least, BMW should warn owners not to allow water in the trunk. Based upon what my dealer said, I don't think it uncommon for trunks to leak and damage the TPM.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:57 AM

RWVW415, thanks for the information. Any suggestions of where to purchase the module? Also, you said it will just plug in right? No need to program?

Thanks again.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 650i
I bought mine from BMW Parts Source http://bmwpartssource.com/partlocato...?siteid=216042

They were very easy to deal with and they sell real BMW parts at a very good price. Good luck. Ray
Silver / Gray
Old 08-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmad1 View Post
I meant TPM Water Damage not TPS. Sorry.
From the bestlinks, I looked at the BMW glossary for TPM (and TPS):
- BMW technoterms, acronyms, glossary, definitions slang, technical terms, & abbreviations (1)

TPM = Tire Pressure Monitor (see TPC & TPW)
TPS = Throttle Position Switch/Sensor
Old 01-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Mein Auto: 2009 528i
Getting ready to replace mine. My wife had an "Accident" involving laundry detergent in the trunk. fried the TPM module.

Anyone have link or part number? Im finding one on BMW Directparts, but no part number and its $120...

Thanks if anyone knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwvw415 View Post
It is an easy fix. Order the TPM module online around $64 and replace it. It will take about 10 minutes at best . The dealer will tell you that it will cost around $600 to replace and to program. As long at the dealer knows your VIN numer you will not have to program it to your car. It is plug and play.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

This link doesnt work anymore, Im finding this one, but would prefer a $65 part over a $118 if possible :-) hehe

http://www.nhbmwparts.com/parts/2008...ntrol%20module

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwvw415 View Post
I bought mine from BMW Parts Source http://bmwpartssource.com/partlocato...?siteid=216042

They were very easy to deal with and they sell real BMW parts at a very good price. Good luck. Ray
Old 01-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Im relocating my TPM module just behind the black plastic trim piece thats where the trunk latch is. It comes off with 3 screws and has room behind it. The locaiton BMW chose is ridiculous, and makes no sense, considering stuff spills in trunks.

I also see there is a computer module under the spare tire, in that same molded foam piece that the TPM sits in. Im moving that behind the left side trim piece. Its got Fiber Optic and antenna cabels going to it, and when unplugged the car wont even start, unlock, etc...not sure if its the main computer, but without it, No Running Car.

Once I get enough Posts I will take some pics and post.

Ive never seen any critical electrical components located like this in any vehicle. Its crazy..plus the units are not water tight, and the circuit boards are not epoxy coated.

Its clearly a major design oversight...the reason you go with luxury vehicle is so ya dont worry about dumb things like "Hey if I spill milk in my trunk, will it make my car not statt?"
HAHA Oh well, live and learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW View Post
My tire pressure moitor went out as well. I didn't realize that it was in the trunk. When I took it into the dealership, they told me that water sometimes leaks into the trunk, possibly from heavy rain, and causes it to short out. They replaced it with no questions asked as the car was under warranty. However, when they explained where the TPM was and that it had gotten wet, I knew immediately what had happened. The malfunction light went on when I started the car up one morning when I was on an out of town trip. Before starting the car that, I put our luggage in the trunk and noticed that the cooler we had used for drinks the prior day had tipped over spilling water into the trunk. I didn't connect the malfunctioning TPM with the water until the dealer mentioned the reason for the malfunction.

The dealer didn't ask me anything about water in the trunk and I didn't mention anything. It seems to me that BMW should have the TPM system protected better or, at the least, BMW should warn owners not to allow water in the trunk. Based upon what my dealer said, I don't think it uncommon for trunks to leak and damage the TPM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Ok,

So with some effort, and thru a lot of searching I think Ive answered my question on Part Number. With the help of here: http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...236785279.html

And looking at pictures on Ebay of similar modules, it appears there are several different module numbers that will work:

Near the top of the label there is a 4 part number, mine reads 6 778 387-01

Most of the ones on ebay read 6 778 387-01

I believe they are interchangable along with these other numbers:
6 773 535-01 | 6 773 723-01 | 6 774 160-01 | 6 775 834-01 | 6 778 387-01 | 6 782 800-01

Several used ones on Ebay, stating they came out of 2008 528i's have the 6 778 387-01 number, and I found one for $65, so Im getting it.

If it works I will post back so everyone knows.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Got the replacement TPM module in the mail yesterday. It works!

Plugged it in, went to the iDrive menu, selected to reprogram TPM, 5 minutes later it worked!! I did have to exit the iDrive TPM menu for the warning light on dash to go away, but other than that, its as simple as plugging it in and going thru the iDrive menu.