Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-23-2004, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: x5
fixed prob with new 04 X5's?

I know the old 2004 models have had problems with the temp gauge (software problem), transmision problem (not changing gears) and delay of throttle when depressing the accelerator. Has any of these been corrected? Ive been told the software and the transmission were replaced in the older models, but not the throttle. Should I just tell them to replace the transmission and software as soon as I get the car ?
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2004, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 3.0 2004
Replacements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuownr
I know the old 2004 models have had problems with the temp gauge (software problem), transmision problem (not changing gears) and delay of throttle when depressing the accelerator. Has any of these been corrected? Ive been told the software and the transmission were replaced in the older models, but not the throttle. Should I just tell them to replace the transmission and software as soon as I get the car ?
As I understand it, the throttle problem is the transmission problem. Same fix: new transmission

Good luck
Old 03-24-2004, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 4.4
Bad Transmissions

The problem with the transmissions and elecctronics have not been fixed. My new 2004 4.4 has been in the shop for over a week. First they replaced the transmision and know the there are electrical problems. When will I get my car back that only has 300 miles on it ...who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuownr
Old 03-24-2004, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: Honda Accord + Volvo 850
Dear all,

Should I put down the money for a new 2004 X5 4.4i? I mean I have read 6-7 issues in this and other forums with the 2004 X5 and here is their ranking as I read it - the most serious one last:

7. Rattles in the cargo area.
6. Temperature gauge has the wrong temperature.
5. BMW Assist not working below 32'F
4. Radio / speaker faulty.
3. oil cap
2. Service Engine Soon light coming on - when there is no service needed.
1. Transmission / throttle issue with lurching ahead, after crusing to a stop. A drive-by-wire issue or a mechanical issue or both? This one sounds disturbingly dangerous!?

I am looking at the 2004 X5 4.4i with the Activity Package (for Canada) - see www.bmw.ca - and will begin price negotiations within this week for a end of May delivery. This late model year X5 comes standard with the panorama roof in Canada.

Any comments? Many thanks.

Last edited by rting; 03-25-2004 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: x5
I spoke to my dealer, this is what they claim (take this with a grain of salt..)

the temp gauge was a software problem - its been corrected

Transmission - dealer claims very few and far between, no cases that shes aware of, but she did adknowledge it was a problem in the 7 series (where this engine came from)

Throttle - I believe its a seperate issue, where there is a delay when hitting the gas. She claims you wont even notice it, very small.

The PDC option - is aware that you need to turn it off/on. Not automatic with putting the car in park or turning it off.

Since I just ordered the car, we will have to see. I will be checking very carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rting
Dear all,

Should I put down the money for a new 2004 X5 4.4i? I mean I have read 6-7 issues in this and other forums with the 2004 X5 and here is their ranking as I read it - the most serious one last:

7. Rattles in the cargo area.
6. Temperature gauge has the wrong temperature.
5. BMW Assist not working below 32'F
4. Radio / speaker faulty.
3. oil cap
2. Service Engine Soon light coming on - when there is no service needed.
1. Transmission / throttle issue with lurching ahead, after crusing to a stop. A drive-by-wire issue or a mechanical issue or both? This one sounds disturbingly dangerous!?

I am looking at the 2004 X5 4.4i with the Activity Package (for Canada) - see www.bmw.ca - and will begin price negotiations within this week for a end of May delivery. This late model year X5 comes standard with the panorama roof in Canada.

Any comments? Many thanks.