Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-18-2014, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw x5
Fuel Pump working but not pumping gas to the engine BMW X5

Hello Guys sorry for my English, I have a 2002 bmw x5 4.4.
I went to Big bear CA last week and all was working just fine . after not using my x5 for 4 days I try to start the engine and it was really low on battery, I charge my batter and then I notice that it was no gas on the manifold, I take out the Fuel pump (passenger back side) and test it on a bucket of water, for my surprise the pump works just fine.... then I installed back and start the engine ( I dry the water out the pump ) and I can hear the pump working but not pumping the gas out.... Any ideas ?? I am so frustrated

(I replace the Fuel pump sensor)

Thank you all in advance !!
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2014, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto:
Maybe fuel filter clogged? You can take it out, drain it, run some cleaner though it in reverse direction. If really dirty get a new one.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectasia View Post
Maybe fuel filter clogged? You can take it out, drain it, run some cleaner though it in reverse direction. If really dirty get a new one.
Thank you for the reply ! I will try this right now and come back later with the results, I appreciate your help
Old 12-18-2014, 06:55 PM

Hello after my first attempt to take the filter out and having a big battle with the plastic that covers the filter, finally I decide to wait till tomorrow ..
I am having trouble thinking that it could be the filter because the problem is not after the filter, the problem is when I plug directly that fuel pump and no signs of gas coming out But this morning when I test the fuel pump on the water I have a really nice pressure out the pump...
then I come back to the vehicle I put back the pump I connect a clear hose to the tip to see if the gas is coming out and for my surprise I can hear only the pump working but no gas coming out the pump ... is this making sense ?
Old 12-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto:
Hmmm. Understand.

How do you run the pump with water? You take it out of tank? How do you power it?

When in the tank can you hear the pump working? You can see gas in the tank?

Offer some more details on how you did your water test.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:33 PM

Hello ProjectAsia

Yes I take it out from the tank then I put water on a small 1 gallon bucket and then I connect Ground and positive to a 12v source power pack , then I submerge the pump and turn on the power, the pump start pumping water out like a fountain with nice pressure..
That confirm that the pump is pumping the liquid out.
After that I install back on the fuel tank and same procedure I put power in the pump manually with my power pack and I can hear my pump working, but not coming any liquid out.

that way I am frustrated because when I connect in to the water the pump works an once I install back on the tank the pump powers on but not fuel pressure coming out... After this explanation will you still thinking in the gas filter ?

Last edited by Bajafaux; 12-18-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto:
Not filter. I understand. So all I can say is gas and water should pump the same.

If some external tube is not clogged then it has to be the gas level in the tank is too low.

Or the position of the pump - a slight tilt makes to start and stop working.

Also are you tightening the large ring when in the tank? Maybe if the ring is tight it will compress the pump a little make it stop working. Or maybe something shorts to the frame when you install the pump in the tank?

Can you carefully set the pump in the tank but don't tighten. Power external 12v. Lift and wiggle it a little

Really check the fuel level in the tank. Make sure gas level is not low. Sometimes the gauge can fail and make you think you have gas.

Also be very very careful using external voltage around gas!!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:45 PM

Thank you for your comment, I have about 13 gallons in the tank, I can see the gasoline and looks like a little less of half tank.. I will try to Power external 12v. Lift and wiggle it a little
I will try to make a video of the pump test on water and then installing back. Thank you for all.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:48 PM

Mein Auto:
I think the pump is bad. When you tighten it into the tank it maybe deforms or flexes. Which causes some short of the power internal to the pump.

External power will tell you if it is the power plug harness or the pump.

Let us know what you find.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:59 PM

Its funny because I have an extra used pump that I test in water also and works exactly the first pump.. but is possible that both pumps are damaged... I just order a new pump and have it by saturday but I will try tomorrow again. I will let you know.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:16 PM

Hello I found the problem but I still cant figure out... the pump is working now but I test with a multimeter the plug that connect to the pump and is not reading any voltage .. 2 months ago I replace the fuel pump relay , I check the pump fuse and is good.. any otter idea ?? thank you
Old 12-19-2014, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5 4.6is
hi

can you hear the pump run when its in the tank ??
Old 12-19-2014, 07:06 PM

It was a fuse ........