Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-11-2011, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535xi M-Sport
Talking Jumping into a new 2011 535xi M-Sport myself...

As of Monday August 8th I now also have a 2011 BMW 535xi ordered fresh from the factory as a few of us round out the last orders for the MY11. Listed already in production, I'm hoping for a pretty quick turnaround as I'm trading in my 2009 MB E63 tomorrow and sharing a ride with my wife's 2011 X5 until it arrives.

Standard fare seems to list the configuration, so here goes:

Imperial Blue Metallic
Venetian Beige Dakota Leather
Dark wood trim
4-zone automatic climate control
Active ventilated seat package
BMW Apps
Cold Weather Package
Convenience Package
Head-up Display
M Sport Package
Premium Package
Premium Package 2
Side and Top View Cameras
Smartphone Integration
Split fold-down-rear seat
Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles

To be fair - I had a custom configuration on order for a 2012 Audi A6 from late June that was pushed back to a late November delivery because of a supplier parts shortage (Audi is unable to get their wood trim supplied for any new A6 or A7). Coming from an E-Class I consider myself well placed for knowing all three German efforts in this mid-size sports sedan class. I will say that the 5-series has been growing on me and the incentives definitely helped during the model year-end wrap up.

Also as others - my wait now begins in earnest. Let's go, let's go, let's go!

BTW - I've written lengthy reviews on my E63 and A6 experiences elsewhere on the Internet - I'll update this thread shortly with my 535 experiences once it arrives now that I'm a personal BMW owner - not just a BMW spouse!
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
Congratulations on the order! I'm waiting on my 535 ship to come in, as well.

What was your thought process on the 535 vs. the A6? It's a popular topic around here. You seemed to prefer the A6 enough to order that first. Curious how the two models compare in your mind, and how a small difference in delivery timeline (September for your 535, vs. November for your A6) caused you to change your mind...

(Feel free to link to your E63 and A6 experiences. Would be interesting reading, I think!)

Welcome to the fest!

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter

Last edited by planet; 08-11-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi ///M Sport
Great configuration choices...you'll definitely enjoy your F10 with such options.
Only thing I would change...go with Nappa leather! The limited choices from BMW (black/oyster) are frustrating, but the smooth and sexy quality more than compensates.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:35 AM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Congrats!!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535XI M-Sport
E63.....oooh yea. pics?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:12 PM

I'd be happy to share...

Initial Driving Impressions 2012 Audi A6 - http://www.pulpfree.com/pf/1218

E63 AMG Car-niversary - http://www.pulpfree.com/pf/826

Unexpected Midlife Crisis Averted - http://www.pulpfree.com/pf/808

Those three links are some of my own ramblings on the topic of cars from the MB E63 to the more recent 2012 A6 efforts. I've liked the look of BMWs for as long as I can remember but still shied away from them as my pocket book didn't like being optioned to death. I spent a number of years with VWs, then Acura with a TL and then an RL - finally finishing with my E63. Each time I switched up cars was for a different reason. I'd take the time to test drive across the market but usually went with the original car that struck my fancy. The past few years I've had the fortunate flexibility of a few extra dollars so some of those cost limitations have decreased. (But I am starting to remove my rose colored glasses by coming to the realization that spending any kind of money on a car will always be financial indigestion.)

My wife on the other hand holds onto her cars - starting her BMW history with a 1999 323ic then last year with a new 2011 X5 xDrive35i Premium. Our needs are very different from one another and have changed over the years.

If you read through my third post above you'll see that my heart was really in an M3 4-door but got shot down after a few test drives by the wife (cave-like interior made her feel like she was suffocating while I just enjoyed the RPMs in third gear!).

My recent decision now revolves around getting into a car that can be used year-round without hassle (not getting into the winter tire debate) and continuing the family accessibility - we have our first baby on the way come end of December.

Don't get me wrong - I loved everything about the 507 HP E63 three seasons out of the year but there is a certain amount of "love" that is needed to keep one of those cars maintained and by "love" I mean $$$. I knew those things going into it but not the extent of it. So with a multitude of factors playing into it (not all discussed here) it was time to revisit Audi & BMW.

In terms of Nappa leather - I've been told by a hundred of my friends that I need to prepare for baby vomit and slobber - while I really to like the Nappa - based on my wife's X5 - the Dakota leather should wear a little better. I also spent so much time configuring the X5 that I just assumed that my want of the Active Ventilated Seats only came in Dakota leather (which for the color I like - does). If I did go with Nappa - I wasn't feeling the Oyster and I've had enough of black interiors for a little while!

And since tomorrow is the last day with my E63 - I figured I'd toss in a photo of it for posterity.

More thoughts later... And thanks for the warm welcome to the forums!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10533_1262202952089_1140151311_30775443_1912739_n.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	288847  

Last edited by basf_audio; 08-11-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
If you are preparing for baby vomit i would AVOID active ventilated seats. Even the rear seats are perforated allowing any vomit/liquid to seep into the foam cushions.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBoston View Post
If you are preparing for baby vomit i would AVOID active ventilated seats. Even the rear seats are perforated allowing any vomit/liquid to seep into the foam cushions.
DOH!! I'm a huge fan of the ventilated seats (but could give up the butt massage without issue) so I'll definitely ponder this... Although I think it's probably too late - the car went into production status on Tuesday.

I've also convinced myself that this baby will be awesome and well behaved at all times and will never cause any back seat mishaps. Am I right?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: '02 525i 5MT
Nice taste in cars... the W211 Merc and F10 are bound to be classics.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:12 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Hmmm, if it's in production it's probably too late.

BTW, Nappa is smoother than Dakota, and cleans easier.

Also, just get some protective mats. My car has Nappa with active vented seats, and we bought it when my daughter was 8 months. Protective mats are a must for under ANY car seat, so your risk of vomit intrusion is minimum.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Drink More Wine!

Mein Auto: 2011 550iX M Sport
Congratulations and nice configuration on the car, you got just about all the bells and whistles! Always liked that model year MB. Hope you enjoy your new F10 as much as I'm enjoying mine. Also enjoyed reading the three postings. Very well put together.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:28 AM

I started getting a little nervous since my car has been sitting in status 150 since last week. A few posts on here were talking about MY11 cars being cancelled in preparation for MY12 starting September 1st. Fears were averted. My completion date is August 30th. How's that for being one of the last MY11 cars?

We're still trying to lock down arrival dates as we're trying to do our second PDC delivery (one last year for our X5) but PDC historically have had their own dates a little hit and miss so hopefully we can get everything lined up.

And now - suppose it's time to relax a little and just let those robots finish up my car!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by basf_audio View Post
I started getting a little nervous since my car has been sitting in status 150 since last week. A few posts on here were talking about MY11 cars being cancelled in preparation for MY12 starting September 1st. Fears were averted. My completion date is August 30th. How's that for being one of the last MY11 cars?

We're still trying to lock down arrival dates as we're trying to do our second PDC delivery (one last year for our X5) but PDC historically have had their own dates a little hit and miss so hopefully we can get everything lined up.

And now - suppose it's time to relax a little and just let those robots finish up my car!
The tracking is notoriously inaccurate.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-18-2011, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: F10 535XI M-Sport
must be hard to let go of the E63... but anyhow, I am sure you will enjoy the F10
Old 08-18-2011, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by basf_audio View Post
As of Monday August 8th I now also have a 2011 BMW 535xi ordered fresh from the factory as a few of us round out the last orders for the MY11. Listed already in production, I'm hoping for a pretty quick turnaround as I'm trading in my 2009 MB E63 tomorrow and sharing a ride with my wife's 2011 X5 until it arrives.

Standard fare seems to list the configuration, so here goes:

Imperial Blue Metallic
Venetian Beige Dakota Leather
Dark wood trim
4-zone automatic climate control
Active ventilated seat package
BMW Apps
Cold Weather Package
Convenience Package
Head-up Display
M Sport Package
Premium Package
Premium Package 2
Side and Top View Cameras
Smartphone Integration
Split fold-down-rear seat
Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles

To be fair - I had a custom configuration on order for a 2012 Audi A6 from late June that was pushed back to a late November delivery because of a supplier parts shortage (Audi is unable to get their wood trim supplied for any new A6 or A7). Coming from an E-Class I consider myself well placed for knowing all three German efforts in this mid-size sports sedan class. I will say that the 5-series has been growing on me and the incentives definitely helped during the model year-end wrap up.

Also as others - my wait now begins in earnest. Let's go, let's go, let's go!

BTW - I've written lengthy reviews on my E63 and A6 experiences elsewhere on the Internet - I'll update this thread shortly with my 535 experiences once it arrives now that I'm a personal BMW owner - not just a BMW spouse!

nice config, not sure if you can still add this to your order but if you could tell them to add the napa leather
it is worth every single penny not to mention that this is one of the most salient features i got on mine. Its silky, I have never seen such a nice leather before only in clothes.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 650 xi
Congratulations on your order! It looks very vell thought out!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:55 AM

My new car was finished yesterday - a day early! Not that it means much in that it has several more weeks travel time - but I do like seeing the status get updated. Now time to go figure out the ship tracking effort...
Old 08-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Explore the space!

Awesome! My own car is on a boat creeping up the coast of Mexico at the moment. Due to arrive at port late tomorrow!

It was a long wait... Not over yet!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Congrats! Just stumbled upon this thread.. great stuff! Love your previous reviews. Looks like our vehicles will be buddy-buddy on their way to the States! Looking forward to the updates. Keep in touch.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi; 528xi; 2011 535xi
I ordered my 535i with X-Drive on Monday July 25 and received a call from my CA yesterday that it's in and ready for delivery. Only 5 weeks to the day from order to available for delivery at my dealership. Plus, mine sat in Bremerhaven 7 days waiting for a ship (August 5 till August 13th). I never expected it to arrive this fast!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:25 PM
Explore the space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdk9950 View Post
I ordered my 535i with X-Drive on Monday July 25 and received a call from my CA yesterday that it's in and ready for delivery. Only 5 weeks to the day from order to available for delivery at my dealership. Plus, mine sat in Bremerhaven 7 days waiting for a ship (August 5 till August 13th). I never expected it to arrive this fast!
Mutter mutter, lucky east coasters...

Old 09-12-2011, 10:50 AM

Finally some good news! Left port on 9/10 and headed out on the INTEGRITY - expected ETA to Baltimore, MD on September 25th. Might have this sitting in my garage by the end of the month after all!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2011-AW 535i Cinimon Int
NOw is the worst part...THE WAIT! Dont worry it will be here soon enough then you can enjoy it like the rest of us
Old 09-26-2011, 08:22 PM

Off the carrier ship at 4:25am on Sunday - now on a car transport headed to Saint Louis! The dealer might just get this one sold by the end of the month!! Can't wait!! (Well - I have waited... and waited, and waited!!)
Old 09-26-2011, 08:46 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Awesome. Congrats. imperial blue is a stunning color on an M-Sport.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 09-26-2011 at 08:49 PM.