Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-28-2015, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: '03 BMW 530i Sport Auto
What exactly does this OBD2 code specifically mean?

68 [104] Exhaust camshaft, VANOS end position not reached, adaptation value outside tolerance

My scanner report in hex[dec] instead of P codes that everyone else seems to use. VANOS? Exhaust camshaft position sensor? These codes came up when I had my rough idle. Planning to do my VANOS and CCV when it gets warmer.
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2015, 08:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 BMW k75s
I only have the single VANOS, on the intake camshaft, on my car, but it sounds like your exhaust camshaft timing isn't retarding enough, possibly because of bad VANOS seals, judging by the symptoms at idle. In other words, at idle, the VANOS should retard the camshaft timing, but from the code description, it sounds as if it isn't retarding fully, producing a rough idle.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
The version of MS43 fault codes I have turns up this description, which is a little different than what your scanner reports.

P code dec hex
P0014 104 68 'B' Camshaft Position Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

'B' Camshaft in this context refers to the exhaust cam.

Another reference, from http://www.obd-codes.com/p0014
############
"B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

A code P0014 refers to the VVT (variable valve timing) or VCT (variable camshaft timing) components and the car's PCM (powertrain control module, also called an ECM).

A P0014 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:
- Incorrect camshaft timing
- Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system - - Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber
- Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)
############

The best bet to avoid semi-blind part swapping would be to find someone with a BMW diagnostic software, e.g. DIS or ISTA/D. It should have a step by step interactive diagnostic routine that would narrow down root cause for the DTC.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto: '03 BMW 530i Sport Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
The version of MS43 fault codes I have turns up this description, which is a little different than what your scanner reports.

P code dec hex
P0014 104 68 'B' Camshaft Position Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

'B' Camshaft in this context refers to the exhaust cam.

Another reference, from http://www.obd-codes.com/p0014
############
"B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

A code P0014 refers to the VVT (variable valve timing) or VCT (variable camshaft timing) components and the car's PCM (powertrain control module, also called an ECM).

A P0014 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:
- Incorrect camshaft timing
- Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system - - Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber
- Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)
############

The best bet to avoid semi-blind part swapping would be to find someone with a BMW diagnostic software, e.g. DIS or ISTA/D. It should have a step by step interactive diagnostic routine that would narrow down root cause for the DTC.
I unfortunately have no idea what any of this means.... Gonna have to educate myself. Does the forum have a member source in Seattle for reading into these codes? I'd like to avoid the dealer if possible and still pay for the person's time.
Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
I sympathize. When starting out trying to set up diagnostic software for myself I found the blizzard of acronyms confusing too.

You could try asking on these forums if anyone local to you has BMW diagnostic software & is willing to help out.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/fo...ostic-Software

Or post on this E39 thread with the same request.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...70#post8866370
You'll also find the early pages of this thread has a roadmap through the fog.