Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-10-2016, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: E39 528iT
Carbon creations hood fitment problems.

I recently just bought a carbon fiber hood for my e39 528iT. It came from carbon creations and I was curious if anyone else has dealt with hood problems like this before. They have no idea what happened and aren't really helping me at all with the problem.
I've tried moving everything from the hinges to taking the headlights out and it won't sit flush. Have other people dealt with this problem before? To me it seems like the front part is too curved in, vs my stock hood.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1460298656.842165.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	558391

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1460298670.578459.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	558392

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1460298691.221867.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	558393
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2016, 08:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi,

It's well known that the 'entry' and even 'mid level' aftermarket brands for body panels and lips, spoilers etc can often have fitment issues. Some brands are better than others though. The high end brands often have much much better fitment though and that's why they're much more expensive.

You need to take the hood to a reputable bodyshop who may get the 'best' fitment overall. It's possible that your car might be slightly bent out of shape from a previous owner's accident, or it might be the hood you have is just that much off from oem sizes and specs. If you look at many aftermarket brands, they'll all mention 'proven for track' and that's where they'll say if you are expecting oem levels of fitment quality, then their products aren't for you.

I have a CF hood/bonnet from a 'budget' maker and when I do test fit it, if I find it's perhaps 85% good, i'll keep it on. If it's quite a way out, then I'll sell to one of the E39 drift guys.

Good luck !

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:23 AM

See carbon creations is supposed to be a big name company and this was a $750 hood. I took it to a shop and this is the best they could line it up without cutting into my front end or heating and bending out the hood. I wanted to track and eventually drift this car, but it's sketchy when the hood won't even close with pins installed.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:39 AM

Hi,

A $750 hood is firmly in the budget end of the market for carbon fibre body panels, so fitment issues like this are very very common indeed.

To test the hood, you may need to see if the same fitment differences happen on another E39. At this stage, it's still possible your car is more bent/pushed in which is part of/causing the gaps etc.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:51 AM

What brand for a carbon hood would you recommend? For the non gtr hoods this is a usual price for the e39, it's actually a bit on the high side. And if this car was in an accident it would be in the hoods favor, everything would be pushed in, instead of being pulled out.
I've looked at some friends e39s and their hood is almost straight by the cardinals, while this one is curved in almost as inch.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:08 AM

Hi,

It's a risk you take with all CF panels. However, general rule of thumb is the more expensive the item, the better the development and manufacturing process was done when the moulds were made and refined. For the E39, one of the very best fitments was the Vorsteiner one, and those who paid the $4000+ dollar price when they were available all seem to have had zero or very very few issues. That item isn't available anymore and very very hard to find used.

Take a look at Seibon Carbon, Schmiedmann, ExoticsTuning and speak to the retailer known as modbargains. There's a 'few' choices out there, not many but at least you can compare stuff.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 04-10-2016, 03:38 PM
Supercharged 540i

Mein Auto: 1999 S/C 540i sedan
Your spot on about the Vorsteiner carbon fiber hoods. The fitment on mine is very good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	24156800060_original.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	558443   Click image for larger version

Name:	24156800062_original.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	496.7 KB
ID:	558444  
Old 04-10-2016, 03:52 PM
plays well with others...

Mein Auto: 5 Series
Its not often one gets to read carbon fiber and 528 in the same sentence.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:51 PM

See, I defiantly cannot have another vented hood. I had one on my MK1 while it was being stored, well turns out vented hoods are amazing nut storage for squirrels. Depending how CC handles my problem I might just switch it out for a different brand. The main reason I posted this to see if anyone else has received a hood from them with problems, I would imagine this is one of the harder hoods to mold. But when in doubt, if I'm stuck with this turd, I'll get a different one and this one will be donated to an e30 owner.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530I Sport
Are we sure this isn't a facelift vs non facelift hood issue?
Old 04-11-2016, 09:50 AM
oOO (|||) (|||) OOo

Mein Auto: 03 530iA Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon002 View Post
Are we sure this isn't a facelift vs non facelift hood issue?
The hoods didn't change at all. I have a 98 540i hood on my 03 530i.

Seabiscuit: 03-11-03 e39 530i Sport, Steptronic, Black/Black
Totaled (by me!) & Rebuilt in Fall 2014
Completed Work: Maintenance; Silver gauge rings; ECS Tuning SS Brake Hoses; Koni FSD "Golds"; Meyle rotors, Akebono Euro Ceramic pads (no dust, no bite); BMW blue-painted calipers; Aux retrofit; Canholder delete; Ultimate Cup Holders; Custom IKE coding; "BMW" valve stem dust caps; Euro lower dash; GAS DISA rebuild + coolant cap.
Bold text is best mod!
Old 04-11-2016, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530I Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
The hoods didn't change at all. I have a 98 540i hood on my 03 530i.
I know at minimum the kidneys are different. I thought the hood may be slightly different as well.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:09 AM
oOO (|||) (|||) OOo

Mein Auto: 03 530iA Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon002 View Post
I know at minimum the kidneys are different. I thought the hood may be slightly different as well.
Correct, the kidneys didn't have that chrome lip that the facelifted cars have. But other than that, they're completely interchangeable. On my hoods, the washer system was identical, too. That may be different with the "intensive cleaning" systems, though.

Seabiscuit: 03-11-03 e39 530i Sport, Steptronic, Black/Black
Totaled (by me!) & Rebuilt in Fall 2014
Completed Work: Maintenance; Silver gauge rings; ECS Tuning SS Brake Hoses; Koni FSD "Golds"; Meyle rotors, Akebono Euro Ceramic pads (no dust, no bite); BMW blue-painted calipers; Aux retrofit; Canholder delete; Ultimate Cup Holders; Custom IKE coding; "BMW" valve stem dust caps; Euro lower dash; GAS DISA rebuild + coolant cap.
Bold text is best mod!
Old 04-11-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukenGood View Post
See, I defiantly cannot have another vented hood. I had one on my MK1 while it was being stored, well turns out vented hoods are amazing nut storage for squirrels. Depending how CC handles my problem I might just switch it out for a different brand. The main reason I posted this to see if anyone else has received a hood from them with problems, I would imagine this is one of the harder hoods to mold. But when in doubt, if I'm stuck with this turd, I'll get a different one and this one will be donated to an e30 owner.
Newsflash - An E39 hood/bonnet won't fit an E30!

Good luck with claiming back from your credit card company, I doubt they'll refund you as the seller of the product will say somewhere in their Terms & Conditions that there will be manufacturing differences and that they recommend these kinds of panels for off road/track use only where exact fitment isn't so important.

Here's the link for the Seibon Carbon piece

http://seiboncarbon.com/store/produc...3-bmw-e39.html

Here's their T&C's, read where there's the disclaimer about panel gaps

http://seiboncarbon.com/terms-and-conditions/

Read the rest of it as well.

I still think that your car has some chassis damage/been pushed in but of course could be wrong. Part of you claim if you intend to go that way will be to prove your car is straight and/or try on another known straight E39 and verify.

The reason I'm telling you all this?.. because I had two E60 CF CSL style bootlids for a customer of mine from Seibon UK's distributor and the fitment was way off. I had to borrow a friends E60 M5, pay a good reputable bodyshop owner I know to swap them both over and take pictures. At that point, I did get a refund from the distributor, but they were quite reluctant to do so. I had to also pay a 10% re-stock charge as well.

Maybe the above faffing about is what you'll need to do as well..

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 04-11-2016, 04:18 PM

My new hood is currently being processed through shipping, I should have it by Friday. They assumed responsibility for it not fitting my car. It was as simple as sending them pictures and being polite about it. According to the paper I received with my hood, it comes with a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects. But only valid noticeable ones, like this.
I even get to keep this hood, but I had to cut it up. Hence why it goes to the e30, or even louvres for my mk1. I'll find some use for these chunks.

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1460416587.471550.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	558650

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search