Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04/1997 528i Auto,
wish me luck!

Well after 4 hours of research. Mostly to confirm things I already thought, and to confirm that the mounting points were the same on both Pre and Post facelift E39s. I will be pulling my front bumper off tomorrow to fix my new sag.. I really hate parking curbs and will probably start backing into parking lots that have them. I still never found a TIS that I was able to download to my phone. I have a few bentley pages now though.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:47 PM

While its off I may also try to fix the two hooks I've got in the cover. One from PO that was riveted together poorly. And one from my new bumper kissing action earlier. Any ideas on this? How maliable is the bumper plastic when heated? I know its not a shirt but I basically want to "iron" it. Heat and smooth heat and smooth until it look decent then find a way to hold that new (original) shape until cool. I'm not an auto body tech, but I figure if I'm not paying a mechanic anymore why should I pay a body shop?

Last edited by JDeGraff89; 08-01-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:42 PM

Mein Auto: E39 530i
You can adjust the height of the front bumper supports by inserting a 14mm hex key into the top through the hole the big 50 Torx bolt goes through. Might help with the sag. i had to adjust mine when I installed an M5 front bumper. That's if the gap between the top of the bumper and hood/headlights is too big.

If the bumper got pulled down from the bottom then that's a different story ... the bumper got damaged and a heat gun might help or destroy the bumper. Be careful.

Last edited by Sergius; 08-01-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 530d Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeGraff89 View Post
How maliable is the bumper plastic when heated?
Check the inside of the bumper cover for the material symbol and designation. You can use heat to reform the shape if it is PP (polypropene). Start at 100C (boiling water).

Last edited by pudl; 08-02-2014 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergius View Post
You can adjust the height of the front bumper supports by inserting a 14mm hex key into the top through the hole the big 50 Torx bolt goes through. Might help with the sag. i had to adjust mine when I installed an M5 front bumper. That's if the gap between the top of the bumper and hood/headlights is too big.

If the bumper got pulled down from the bottom then that's a different story ... the bumper got damaged and a heat gun might help or destroy the bumper. Be careful.
It's not an adjustment issue. My investigation shows that the bumper has slipped off the top half of the T shaped plastic bracket being that I can't get it back on by pulling up from the bottom and pushing firmly I'll have to pull the bumper forward and then reseat it.

I did how ever end up with one question my research didn't answer, Can this be done independantly for just one side? I'm wondering if it will have enough flex to allow me to only remove one side of the bumper hardware then pull and push until I get it back on.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:01 PM

Bumper sag is fixed! I was right there is enogh flex to allow you to only remove one side at a time. Making the job much simpler. 3 bolts in total two 8mm bolts in the fender well. And one large T50 screw in the bumper itself. Now if I were to right a quick write up it would look a bit like this.

Step one: Start engine, Turn wheel all the way to the side opposite of what ever side you wish to be working on.

Step two: Remove 2 8mm screws located in the wheel well, 1 where the fender liner meets the "pork chop" and the other on the bottom of the "pork chop" where it turns into a mud flap.

Step three: Remove the small grill section that sits closest to the fog light. To do this all you need to do is remove the two push rivets located on the upper edge.

Step four: locate and remove large Torx screw. It is located along the upper edge, you gain access to it by removing the grill in step 3.

Step five: while in front of your droopy E39. Pull the bumper cover twoard you.

Step six: Locate and inspect your "bumper support" it is a plastic disk shaped part bolted to a steel plate coming off of the fender. If this is damaged remove it, looked like it was held with 3 10MM nuts. You can pick up the new part at your dealership for 5 dollars.

Step seven: This step was easiest for me to do from the side of the car where I could see the support slide into its bracket on the bumper, grab the "cheek" of your bumper. (Behind the head light, before the tire.) Push up while pulling twoard the door. This should reseat the bumper onto the support.

Step eight: using your knee as a lever push up on the bottom of the bumper pressing tight against the top off the fender, while holding tight with your knee replace 8mm screws.

Step nine: back to the front of the bumper, replace large Torx screw. Replace grill piece and replace push rivets.

Step ten: now this is the most important step in the whole process. Walk to your ice box grab your favorite fermented beverage pop the top while inspecting and admiring your 15 minutes of hard work. And enjoy that fact that you didn't have to pay a body shop so you can also afford more of your favorite fermented beverage.

Thank you.

Last edited by JDeGraff89; 08-02-2014 at 01:03 PM.