Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-28-2015, 07:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to StPike75
Mein Auto: 1999 540iT
SLS adjustable links - update - left right height difference

Where can i find adjustable links for the SLS rear ride height sensors?

Bavauto has them, but will only sell as a lowering kit (with front springs).
There are adjustable links for newer cars, but google is not finding them for my 540iT.

I want to even out the touring left to right, and to induce a slight rake.

Last edited by StPike75; 08-07-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2015, 08:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
IMHO installing these links is ridiculous. The links are not 'adjustable' they are bent to fool the ride height system.

The rear ride height is adjustable using a sophisticated scan tool like Autologic, GT1, etc. You need to find a BMW expert shop that has such a tool and will level out the rear left to right and adjust your rear ride height just like you want. Be aware that changing ride height will alter rear camber and thus tire wear. You may need an alignment after changes.

Go to www.bimrs.org for an expert shop in your area. Then give them a call and ask what they are willing to do.

VF Supercharger Kit much modified & tuned by FS Tuning Tech, M5 Front Sports Seats, CVV to Catch Can Conversion, Boost Gauge, Schmiedmann S.S. Header to Rear Muffler High Flow Exhaust, Header Ceramic Coated Inside & Out, Heat Wrapped from Header Flanges to & Including CATs, Kicker Sub w/200 Watt Amp, CCFL Angel Eyes, Blackout Facelift Kidney Grills, Quaife LS Diff, Zionsville Super Duty Cooling Kit, Derale Electric Cooling Fan Ajustable Controller w/2 Speed Circuit (JimLev Design).
Old 07-29-2015, 03:17 PM

Threaded adjusters ! Where are those threaded adjusters?

An app that will let me dial the ride height would be even better. And torque motors for the eccentric chamber and toe bolts!

How about spacers between the subframe and the chassis?

I'm just obsessing on finding threaded adjusters. Their non existence is making me feel empty.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 525i touring
I just redid mine this summer. The old ones were rusted pretty bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121702814008...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Had Adjustable links for over four years with out the gloom n doom of previous post. Just buy some threaded stainless rod and cut to fit links. I think $20. is what I have into them.

Better way is to have it lowered by software adjustment. Any good Indy can do this.

Mine is lowered quite a bit and is spot on factory specs. I also have Thayer Motorsports adjustable upper rear links.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the link on adjustable links. These looks like they need to be disconnected on one end to adjust length. Turn buckle adjustment would be terrific.

I checked with local indie, and they want 1 hour work to hook up the diagnostic ... ridiculous.at $128.

Note: I had recently replaced the rear ball joint and integral link. While dropping the right rear lower control arm, the ride height sensor got pulled straight, so either I broke it or it could be completely out of calibration.

The driver side is sitting 5/8 lower for the rear and 1/2 lower in front as compared to the left side. Ride height is not changing over night, so doubt it is a leak.

At $128 for re programming, it seems cheaper to replace the sensors.
Is reprogramming is needed after a sensor replacement?

Last edited by StPike75; 08-07-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:30 PM

So it turned out that I screwed up reinstalling the passenger side ride height sensor. When I replaced the ball joint and integral link.

The alignment pin was not in place and the sensor tilted up and gave the extra ride height. I'm back on an even keel.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:13 AM
One wheel roaster

Mein Auto: 1998 bmw 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPike75 View Post
So it turned out that I screwed up reinstalling the passenger side ride height sensor. When I replaced the ball joint and integral link.

The alignment pin was not in place and the sensor tilted up and gave the extra ride height. I'm back on an even keel.

Easy way to do a lift kit lol. I've been thinking about doing it to my Range Rover

current
1993 740il chipped
1997 Range Rover HSE 4.6
parting out
1998 540i sport, cold weather package. 18" M-pars, clear corners, M5 bumper.
sold
1999 528i sport premium
1997 540i premium