Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 bmw 528i
Thumbs up 2000 528i Cooling system replaced

I want to firstly thank all the posters who somehow have the time to delve into the inner
workings of the E39 and then share the information with us all.

Recently I noticed a problem with my cooling system. I decided to investigate the workings of
my auxiliary fan .

It was non-operational. Main "Three Wire Connector" was shot due to exposure to elements.
Also the fan clutch was locking up but at a high temperature that made me uncomfortable.

Checked the codes with a "Snap On Solus", Codes read were #125 Cooling Fan Circuit and
#11 Radiator Temperature Sensor. Decided it was time to do a complete overhaul of the
cooling system. Sourced BMW only parts and in addition included a Stewart water pump.

While waiting to gather all the parts needed, i opened my "OBD" temperature diagnostics
on the dash just to see what was the highest temps that i was reaching in stop and go Chicago
highway traffic. Not real scary from other posters experiences, 99 Celsius-102 Celsius in cool
weather. If the outside temps were higher it would maybe hit 103-104C If that was the case,
I turned my heat adjustments to 90 and blasted my fan on high to keep the temps at 98-99
Celsius.

I have an Indy shop that lent me a space and a lift in his shop and I did the work myself.
Not everyone has that luxury;I was very thankful for that. All good now, running at 93-95
Celsius consistently. New fan works after replacing,re-crimping and re-soldering the "Three
Wire Connector" on the main wire loom side of the connection. Of course the new fan has a
fresh connector. All the"Female" connectors are available at a BMW dealership. Pulse wire,
positive and negative.

No problems with #75 /50 amp fuse blown or any relays bad.

Don't go cheap, you will get lots of miles from your e39 if you replace it with
original parts.

Thanks again for the quality information and sound advice that you all some how have the
time to provide. This is not the first project I have completed on this car without your
advise and guidance .:thumbup
Advertisement
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Thanks for the feedback. Glad we could help with these old crocks.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM

Also, since I had my front clip off to replace the auxiliary fan, I added a 6x6 piece of window screen over the snorkle of the alternator air intake.The intake hole is
only 3 inches or so but if you wrap the screen over the hole and then secure it with a large zip tie it fits into the female plastic hole of the ducting without a
problem. No more leaves or debris sucked into alternator.It looks like it belongs there. Why BMW didn't do this in the first place is beyond me.My original
alternator got ruined because of debris getting sucked into it.
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM

2000 528i cooling system replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Glad we could help with these old crocks.
Thanks Edjack,
You have been very helpful.
Is that an Eichler built home behind your e39?
Former San Jose resident I am.