Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-14-2013, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick99Si View Post
Try password: bimmer
That worked, thanks!

Quick question, how do you back up and restore the tuning files?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 6MT
You will not be able to manipulate the engine tune with this (or any similar) software. You can, however, reflash the DME with newer software using WinKFP. This is not considered within the scope of this thread, but I can tell you that I've succeeded in doing this to an E46 M3 DME as well as SMG.

More at bmwcoders.com and m5board.com

540i - Stock/Sport / 6MT / 13.9@100mph
WS6 - 231/234 / 6MT / 4.10 / 410rwhp
ITR - 262/262 / 5MT / 12.2:1 / 9600rpm

540i/6 Sport, Jet Black, Style 65, LED tail, DICE+GROM USB, !CDV, Redline MT-90, M1 0-40w
Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick99Si View Post
You will not be able to manipulate the engine tune with this (or any similar) software. You can, however, reflash the DME with newer software using WinKFP. This is not considered within the scope of this thread, but I can tell you that I've succeeded in doing this to an E46 M3 DME as well as SMG.

More at bmwcoders.com and m5board.com
I'm not looking to manipulate the tune, just want to make sure I dont lose it.

I currently have a Dinan software tune, but was looking reflash the DME with software from an X5 4.6is so that I can enable the oil temp over can and have a working M5 cluster. I'm familiar with how to flash it with WinKFP, just worried about losing my Dinan tune. Will a software reflash affect that?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:15 AM

Anyone have a D-CAN cable they are willing to lend for testing (with deposit of course)? PM me.

540i/6 Sport, Jet Black, Style 65, LED tail, DICE+GROM USB, !CDV, Redline MT-90, M1 0-40w
Old 08-08-2013, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 1988 325e
I have a MY 97 E39 540i6 with a build date of 06/96. It has the OBDii connector in the cabin and the 20 pin connector under the hood. I keep reading that no E39 requires an ADS compatible cable setup. However, as its mentioned in the OP, if you want to be sure you can always check the voltage on pin 15 in the 20 pin connector. Well, I bought a cable and have been fighting with it to work using the 20 pin connector. So, I decided to check the voltage on pin 15..... 12v. So, am I the only owner of an ADS 20 pin connector E39, or am I doing something wrong?

Windows 7 running VMware Player Windows XP.
Ebay 20 pin adaptor to 16 pin USB cable.
INPA 4.4.7
Key to ON position.
Battery and Ignition status OFF.

EDIABAS.ini STD:OBD
USB Port set to COM1, Latency Timer = 1

No error messages, just no connection.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Mein Auto: E24 E39 E83
Not at all. Many of us with vehicles older than 00' require a ADS connector so that we can communicate with all the modules in our cars. I do also think that not all ADS adapters are made equal. I have had a problem in the past with a cheaper one bought off of eBay compared with a slightly pricier one from one stop electronics.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayster0966 View Post
Not at all. Many of us with vehicles older than 00' require a ADS connector so that we can communicate with all the modules in our cars. I do also think that not all ADS adapters are made equal. I have had a problem in the past with a cheaper one bought off of eBay compared with a slightly pricier one from one stop electronics.
I will vouch for this. I've had 4 different 20-pin adapters and only one worked as designed. It was designated as an "INPA" cable that I originally received with the interface cable from onestopshop. The others simply did not work with any of the software, only generic OBD scanners.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 1988 325e
Well, that kinda blows. In the meantime I bought an ADS interface and am hoping to set up a PC in my garage over the weekend. I'll be testing both the ebay cable (via usb) and the ADS connector (via serial port) and if I can get the ebay cable to work then I'll resell the cable and recoup the expense of the ADS module. Wish me luck!
Old 08-17-2013, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 Roadster
Not Impressed with BMW design expertise

I bought a 2008 Z4 with 17K miles. It drives real nice. I enjoy driving it a great deal, but I have to say I am not impressed with BWM's design capabilities.

Going into transport mode if the voltage drops below 11.4 volts, is not great. But requiring you to go to a dealer a pay to have it reset just adds insult to poor design. Alternatively you can install some really nifty software, buy a cable, and spend a few hours configuring a PC to be a dedicated diagnostic tool, and then click on the reset button. Nice. Perhaps BMW should consult with Yugo or Trabant on how to design a heating and cooling system. While they're at it they could ask them how to design a CHEAP cup holder, because the CHEAP cup holders in the z4 are only suitable for drinks you are willing to wear.

I expected better.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadassManWheels View Post
I bought a 2008 Z4 with 17K miles. It drives real nice. I enjoy driving it a great deal, but I have to say I am not impressed with BWM's design capabilities.

Going into transport mode if the voltage drops below 11.4 volts, is not great. But requiring you to go to a dealer a pay to have it reset just adds insult to poor design. Alternatively you can install some really nifty software, buy a cable, and spend a few hours configuring a PC to be a dedicated diagnostic tool, and then click on the reset button. Nice. Perhaps BMW should consult with Yugo or Trabant on how to design a heating and cooling system. While they're at it they could ask them how to design a CHEAP cup holder, because the CHEAP cup holders in the z4 are only suitable for drinks you are willing to wear.

I expected better.
Why would your voltage drop below 11.4v? Voltage that low means your battery is practically empty and most likely won't be able to start the engine. The cup holders, well germans have a bit different take on driving compared to US. Germans think that the driver consentrates only on driving nothing else. A cup holder is just an unnecessary distraction. They just included cup holders due to some customers demanding it (mostly US).
Old 08-17-2013, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 Roadster
I left the key in the ignition overnight, and the batter drained. I had to jump start it in the morning.

Stupid on my part. So I must go to the dealership and get my heat turned on again.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I'm heading off to Tahoe at 5am Friday morning, and I got the dreaded TRANS FAILSAFE PROG message today:

I can't read the transmission codes, because my ancient Carsoft 6 cable was built for parallel-port computers:

I can run down to Staples today, to pick up this $40 parallel-to-USB converter:

But, it's probably a long shot that it will work.
So, I'm hoping to find a double-K-line USB cable in the local vicinity ...

EDIT: I've always been confused as to which cables work best for my bimmer.
Here is what I 'think' is the current summary; but almost no sellers give you this information about their cables:
  • Preferred cable (with double k-line support):
    • K+CAN with the Primary K-Line on pin 7 (for the engine & gearbox); and with the secondary K-Line on pin 8 (for all else)
  • Less-preferred cable:
    • K+DCAN with the Primary K-Line on pin 7 (for the engine & gearbox); and with the secondary K-Line on pin 8 (for all else)
  • Non-preferred cable:
EDIT: This information posted in the TRANS FAILSAFE PROG thread may be useful for choosing the right cable:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK12 View Post
To me it's quite clear, if you want to diagnose BMW between 96-07 you'll be fine with K-CAN cable.
If you want to diagnose 96-2013 get K+DCAN.
I personally have K-CAN, because that was affordable choice when I was buying it.
Now I would buy K+DCAN, because I read codes, code modules, change settings etc. for local Bimmer enthusiast.
To read codes you need to use INPA, DIS. AFAIK EasyDIS is just easier version to install compared to DIS.

Last edited by bluebee; 08-29-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: E34 530it, e30 325ix
Does the INPA work better for OBD cars and This DIS work better for ADS cars?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 750LI,740I,X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahweh View Post
DIS is Dealer level software with very simple operation and is good for both OBD and ADS interface. INPA is engineering level software with a much more potential but it require some knowledge and experience.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahweh View Post
If you want to use INPA/DIS with cars that require ADS then you need ADS interface. This means a serial cable between car and laptop. Both will work just fine with either ADS or OBD cars. INPA is a lot faster, but user interface is harder to learn than DIS. I prefer INPA due to speed over DIS.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the record, this was asked today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblahh View Post
My k+dcan usb cable has pin 8 in place, is there any easy way to know if I have the right 16 to 20 pin adapter for a 1997 528i?

I cannot get inpa to talk to the car, the following error every time I try. IHF-0003: DATATRANSMISSION TO INTERFACE DISTURBED

Pc is fresh install XP, ftdi set to com 1 latency 1

should I try working with obd port & ecu before moving to ADS port? I had no luck on obd port either but I did not try real hard
Old 10-12-2013, 05:01 PM
New to BMWs

Mein Auto: 07 328i (My baby Blu)
I bought my 2007 328i in March of this year and last night I started looking into coding/reading errors/clearing errors. I have to tell you I was completely lost even though I'm VERY computer software/electronic repair literate, all of these acronyms confused the crap out of me. I got frustrated and decided to take a lunch break today from all the forum reading. My girlfriend had seen the frustration on my face and asked me what was wrong so I told her about all the acronyms for BMW's coding/reading errors/error clearing. Within 5 mins of searching Google she found this thread. I have to say you guys have made this SOOOO much simpler and I just wanted to say thank you for putting all this together! This thread is freaking amazing!!! Don't get me wrong I'm no pro after reading this, but it at least helps me to get started on my road to modding and fixing my BMW. I know this thread is geared more towards E39s, but I still feel the need to ask which cable/software would be best with my E90.

Here is what I've been thinking about getting:

Laptop for programming use only *will put windows XP pro on it * (unless you guys know of a cheaper alt that will work perfect with the programs)

BMW INPA / Ediabas K+DCAN USB Interface kinda expensive IMO, but I'm not trying to skimp when it comes to programming my car.

This disk for the programs (unless you guys know that the links under 'Download & install the required BMW-diagnostic software' will work for my car)

Please don't bash on me to hard for posting in here LOL. I just had to ask because you guys have done extensive research and seem extremely knowledgeable on all this; plus I've asked a question similar to this in the E90 thread and never got a response.

My question in another post.

Thanks.
Adam

Last edited by Liquidsilver; 10-12-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
I bought my 2007 328i in March of this year and last night I started looking into coding/reading errors/clearing errors. I have to tell you I was completely lost even though I'm VERY computer software/electronic repair literate, all of these acronyms confused the crap out of me. I got frustrated and decided to take a lunch break today from all the forum reading. My girlfriend had seen the frustration on my face and asked me what was wrong so I told her about all the acronyms for BMW's coding/reading errors/error clearing. Within 5 mins of searching Google she found this thread. I have to say you guys have made this SOOOO much simpler and I just wanted to say thank you for putting all this together! This thread is freaking amazing!!! Don't get me wrong I'm no pro after reading this, but it at least helps me to get started on my road to modding and fixing my BMW. I know this thread is geared more towards E39s, but I still feel the need to ask which cable/software would be best with my E90.

Here is what I've been thinking about getting:

Laptop for programming use only *will put windows XP pro on it * (unless you guys know of a cheaper alt that will work perfect with the programs)

BMW INPA / Ediabas K+DCAN USB Interface kinda expensive IMO, but I'm not trying to skimp when it comes to programming my car.

This disk for the programs (unless you guys know that the links under 'Download & install the required BMW-diagnostic software' will work for my car)

Please don't bash on me to hard for posting in here LOL. I just had to ask because you guys have done extensive research and seem extremely knowledgeable on all this; plus I've asked a question similar to this in the E90 thread and never got a response.

My question in another post.

Thanks.
Adam
1) Any Windows Laptop with XP will suffice. Make sure if it is new, it has a least one legacy USB 2.0 Port.

2) The One-Stop Electronics K+DCAN USB Interface Cable is a very good one. A great many people are using this cable, and all the feedback has been good.

3) The eBay item is just another K+DCAN USB Interface Cable. The DVD is just the USB Driver. There are no programs included with it.

For your car, you need SP-Daten files and EDIABAS (low-level ECU communication program), along with NCS Expert for Coding, INPA for Diagnosis, and WinKFP for Flashing.

EDIABAS, NCS Expert, INPA, and WinKFP are all part of BMW Standard Tools, the latest version being 212. SP-Daten comes from ISTA/P (Dealership Programming Software), the latest of which id 50.4; however, 50.2 was the last to have an Exx Chassis update.

I have PM'd you what you need.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 10-12-2013, 05:47 PM
New to BMWs

Mein Auto: 07 328i (My baby Blu)
Oh man that was a fast response! Thanks a lot! I feel 100% more confident in what to purchase. I was afraid to spend money on stuff that won't work or that might mess something up. I owe you big time!
Old 10-12-2013, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
Oh man that was a fast response! Thanks a lot! I feel 100% more confident in what to purchase. I was afraid to spend money on stuff that won't work or that might mess something up. I owe you big time!
The only money should have to spend is on a quality K+DCAN Interface Cable.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 10-30-2013, 01:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 525iT
Well,
I purchased one of the eBay K+DCAN cables pretty much identical to the one listed by LiquidSiver. It did come with a disc that included drivers as well as the INPA and EDIABAS. Not that I used them because I had already downloaded everything.

My issue is that it doesn't recognize ignition on my 2003 e39. I can view codes in INPA, but the ignition dot is not black. I jumped pins 7 & 8 (because they aren't despite the ebay ad saying it is), but it still didn't recognize ignition. It does have the FT232RL chip though. The biggest problem is that DIS coding won't work because it doesn't see ignition. That's the main reason I bought it. Looks like I'll be dropping the coin on a known good cable. Should have done it right the first time.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLX View Post
Well,
I purchased one of the eBay K+DCAN cables pretty much identical to the one listed by LiquidSiver. It did come with a disc that included drivers as well as the INPA and EDIABAS. Not that I used them because I had already downloaded everything.

My issue is that it doesn't recognize ignition on my 2003 e39. I can view codes in INPA, but the ignition dot is not black. I jumped pins 7 & 8 (because they aren't despite the ebay ad saying it is), but it still didn't recognize ignition. It does have the FT232RL chip though. The biggest problem is that DIS coding won't work because it doesn't see ignition. That's the main reason I bought it. Looks like I'll be dropping the coin on a known good cable. Should have done it right the first time.
Whenever someone posts an issue relating to INPA and having trouble recognizing modules, the first thing I point to is battery age. INPA is very voltage sensitive.

How old is your battery?
Old 10-30-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny G. View Post
Whenever someone posts an issue relating to INPA and having trouble recognizing modules, the first thing I point to is battery age. INPA is very voltage sensitive.

How old is your battery?
No idea at the moment. I've only had the car a couple months.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: E36 328i
The best place to get the software and instructions is David McLean's 4shared site. You will need some help to access the files. David's "Supp Page 8a" is in the Easy GT folder.

I didn't know that David McLean had a 4shared site, but it sounds like it has a lot of my stuff on it!

Last edited by David Mc; 11-03-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:39 PM

I finally gave up on the laptop I was trying to use. It had an issue with a repeating = in VMware that could not be resolved. I switched to one of my other laptops and was able to get INPA and DIS/GT1 working. Well, sort of. The issue is the ebay cable, the one I have is a clear connector and cable, and it doesn't seem to connect to the car without 'tricking' the cable firmware into making INPA see the battery and ignition. I was able to get INPA working completely and DIS can diagnose the car, but I am unable code the car with DIS. I get to the key cycle step and it won't recognize the key cycle because the cable is fooling INPA into thinking the ignition is on (since it apparently doesn't sense ignition or battery). I'm not the only one having issues with this cable. http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....ection-problem

I have a few other things I want to try with Mprog 3.5. I am curious if the same true ignition/battery detection mod for the vagcom cable can be used on the one I have.

All I am attempting to do is deactivate the daytime running lights. I do have NCSexpert and NCS dummy. I am also downloading Progman now. I am wondering if either of these will successfully code without an ignition cycle.

Last edited by WhiteLX; 11-03-2013 at 01:41 PM.