Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-04-2011, 05:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 6MT
Quote:
My question:
Q: How do we know which module is in our E39?
A few ways that I know of:
1. When you read the module, NCSEXPERT pops up a window with the module's information (part number, coding info, and revision info) <-- not always correct for some reason. It recognized mine as GM3.C04 when it's in fact a GM3.C05.
2. When you select chassis (e39) and module (GM3.CXX), you will receive an error if the selected module doesn't match the file selected using the Browse button. That error looks something like
Code:
[E] An error occurred while reading "C:\NCSEXPER\WORK\Backup1\GM3\FSW_PSW.TRC": Unresolved function keyword "ALARM_AKUSTISCH_LANG". Make sure chassis and module match those of the trace file.
No error when correct module is selected:
Code:
[ ] Successfully loaded 3 groups and 114 functions from "FSW_PSW.TRC".
3. Guess and check by going through each hw revision of a specific module until no error is presented as in #2. I tested this for confirmation with a module that had 7-8 revisions, and only one came up without an error. This is risky, particularly on modules with few codeable options.
4. I noticed that a file I had printed out in INPA may be the definitive and easiest way to confirm all this. I don't recall the exact feature in INPA, but there's an easy way to output all of the modules in the car to a nice XPS file. Here's an excerpt from mine with the VIN removed. The modules are GM3_C05 and LCM3_C18:
Quote:
control unit : ZKE3_GM1
ID_BMW_NR : 6901227 ID_HW_NR : 20 ID_SW_NR : 22 ID_COD_INDEX : 5

control unit : LCM_III
ID_BMW_NR : 8386208 ID_HW_NR : 1 ID_SW_NR : 41 ID_COD_INDEX : 18

540i - Stock/Sport / 6MT / 13.9@100mph
WS6 - 231/234 / 6MT / 4.10 / 410rwhp
ITR - 262/262 / 5MT / 12.2:1 / 9600rpm

540i/6 Sport, Jet Black, Style 65, LED tail, DICE+GROM USB, !CDV, Redline MT-90, M1 0-40w
Old 09-05-2011, 06:08 AM

INPA's output of detailed module information is accessed from the main menu:
1. Press SHIFT+F8 for Special Tests
2. Double click Quick Identification
3. Select chassis
4. Read and save output for future use in NCSEXPERT

The module's coding index refers to what I consider it's hardware revision. This may refer to the software version currently loaded to a specific module. If that's the case, it would be interesting to see if we can flash newer versions for additional functionality, fixes, etc...

540i/6 Sport, Jet Black, Style 65, LED tail, DICE+GROM USB, !CDV, Redline MT-90, M1 0-40w
Old 09-06-2011, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 750LI,740I,X5
Thank you Quick99si, this is helpful information.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Thumbs up Great info

Thank you very much, this is awesome information. There are a couple of Acronyms I would like some elaboration on.

First FCS Codes, what are they, when are they needed, where to get them, average cost, generator, etc..

Second, there is a term called FA, please explain what that is. Also there is a verb called "Code the whole car" or "Code the car" what do people mean when they say that?

Thanks,
M.E.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabisoft View Post
First FCS Codes, what are they
I first looked for FCS in the BMW E39 glossary and didn't find it listed, so, it's not an E39-specific term, most likely.

Googling for "BMW FCS codes" I see you 'probably' meant FSC, as in:
- E90: FSC code needed - where to source?
- XOutpost: Lets talk FSC Activation Codes...
- Bimmerforums diagnostic forum: FSC code importing: only with progman ?
- etc.

But, FSC wasn't in the E39 glossary either! Neither was FA.

Googling for "BMW FA", I find a far fewer references:
- Strange FA error in NCS
- FA database search/convert

From a cursory look at both sets of threads, I'm not sure 'what' they mean; however do note that in those links is a pointer to a downloadable RAR file for an "FSC DVD" for use with Progman which may be of use to you.

Quote:
"Code the whole car" or "Code the car" what do people mean when they say that?
I don't know.

I could guess that "code the whole car" means to code each and every module in the car, such that all the desired available options are set to the owner's preference; but that's just a guess.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:28 PM

Thanks bluebee, I'm a bit more learned now than when I asked these questions, although not by much

I learned that FA is a string of text that holds the list of all options installed on any given car (BMW). NCSExpert coders may deal with that when adding or removing options from a car. I can imagine other coding software might also deal with it as it is a property of the car not the software. I believe it is stored on the ECU/DME.

Actually through reading one of the threads you mentioned there is a guy (dadeppa) who made a nice FA decrypter, where you can paste in the FA string as you get it from NCSExpert and it will tell you (although in German) the list of options within that string.

Here is a link: http://web424.serverdrome.eu/bmw/fa_decrypt.php

Despite all this, I still don't quite know how to edit the FA.

As for FCS, you're right I meant FSC. I know now they can be bought from dealerships although they might be on the expensive side. They're meant to enable certain features on a modded car. Would like to see if there is a generator though.

"Coding the whole car" is still a vague term for me. Once again thank you very much for this work.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0
OK, I have been doing this a small piece at a time. I finally received my Dell D600, and the cable (noted in a previous post). installed Daemon tools, a RAR tool that wouldn't expire on me, and proceded to install INPA/EDIABAS according to the pdf supplied. Couple of exceptions, Daemon tools put the CD image under F:. And since I am using an ADS converter, I set up the software on page 6, (step 2.8) to specify an ADS plug, and ran the driver setup in C:\EDIABAS\HARDWARE\ADS\ADS32\ADSsetup.exe, and rebooted the machine. When I run INPA, the screen has a weird flashing, I dont know if that is normal. I select F7 for my E53, but every selection I take from there fails (dont offhand know the error messages).

Should I have set this up as an OBD setup, since it is going through an OBD cable (along with the ADS conversion cable?

Last edited by mrshort77; 09-12-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:46 PM

Hey mrshort77, I've never done this with ADS, only OBD on COM1. The INPA flashing is normal. Did you make sure you're getting both the black dots on the INPA startup screen? If you're hooked up correctly both Battery and Ignition should be solid black dots.

The text of the error message would help. Also there is this helpful INPA FAQ, (Although it didn't quite help me with my issue) it is a troubleshooting guide so to speak, look up the error there and follow the recommendation and see if it helps you.

http://files.ka81.com/docs/INPA_FAQ.pdf
Not sure who made or posted it. I found it on a google search.

BlueBee, if you haven't already, maybe take a look at this INPA_FAQ.pdf and see if it is worth mentioning in your original post.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:26 PM

arabisoft,

OK dumb question time. I do not get either black dot. Here's the dumb question, the pdf does not specify that the car needs to be running, or even the key in the ignition. Does it? (sheepish grin).

The other observation I have is that I am using a Dell Lattitude D600 laptop, which is specifically mentioned in your FAQ doc as having a problem with the battery status via serial connection. I have the USB version of the cable on its way (Which oddly enough, is taking more time from England than the serial cable took from Hong Kong).

Oh well, I knew this was going to require patience.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:44 PM

If you don't get either black dots then there is something wrong. Battery should be solid as soon as the OBD is hooked to the car, sometimes without even hooking to the car, just by hooking the USB end to the laptop. The Ignition should turn solid when you turn the key to the second click (not necessary to turn on the car, unless your battery is dying) Some coding requires the ignition to be on and some doesn't. You hardly use INPA to do any coding, it can be used to reset modules but not to wipe it out. It can read errors and reset errors etc, just simple stuff. But the point of making sure your INPA turns both dots solid is to verify that you are actually talking to the car not just to the USB end. Like I said sometimes the battery turns solid on just hooking up the USB, so you need the ignition to verify that you don't have connection issues.

You will then select your car and perhaps pick a module and read info off of it, or go to special and read Identificaiton for all modules etc. That further ensures that you have a good connection.

Again I've done this with OBD so that is the only thing I know. As for the Dell 600 that never stopped anyone, otherwise the Dell 600 would be a really popular item I managed to run it yesterday from a virtual machine. I've ran it from a Dell XPS and an old HPdv8000, so again the laptop mentioned is for BMW to standardize their support not for a crazy wild bunch like us

Last edited by arabisoft; 09-12-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshort77 View Post
installed ... a RAR tool that wouldn't expire on me
Based on your comments, I clarified the original post by mentioning that WinRAR isn't required as long as you get a decent RAR unpacking tool (e.g., IZArc freeware comes to mind).

What 'rar' tool did you use?

Quote:
Couple of exceptions, Daemon tools put the CD image under F:
It's not 'really' an exception.

Daemon tools will, apparently by default, 'mount' the tools in the next available drive. In my case, that was "E:", which I wrote as "X:" in the first post of this thread to indicate that the actual drive letter doesn't matter.

In your case, it was "F:", because you already had a C, D, and E drive.

Quote:
BlueBee, if you haven't already, maybe take a look at this INPA_FAQ.pdf and see if it is worth mentioning in your original post.
Thanks for the heads up.

I downloaded it, compressed it, and uploaded it to the original post of this thread so we have less dependence on ephemeral external sites.

Note: It would be nice if this thread has users posting small vignette tutorials for how to code a particular E39 option (e.g., auto door locks) or how to diagnose a particular E39 problem (e.g., wheel speed sensors).

Last edited by bluebee; 09-13-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:50 AM

BlueBee, do you know where to get a recent set of daten files v39 or higher. All links seem dead to me so far. I'd love to get those and post them up on my site if I won't get in trouble. But for now I'd like to get past an error I'm getting in NCSExpert.
Thanks.

All help appreciated.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote: "What 'rar' tool did you use?"

I used Free RAR Extract Frog - from CNET:
http://download.cnet.com/Free-RAR-Ex...-10804840.html

What about the setting up as an ADS connection? Is that the way to do it?

I may have another moment tonight to give this another shot (with the ignition on this time).

Last edited by mrshort77; 09-13-2011 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Quote:
Old 09-13-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
do you know where to get a recent set of daten files v39 or higher.
This thread is not intended to replace the detailed diagnostic forums so we never intended to link to the latest files (which don't apply to the E39); we just wanted to clarify the confusing array of tools & versions available during the E39 era.

However, the top post does contain a link to all known available tools & forums, which would almost certainly contain the latest tools for your desired software:

Quote:
Summary of References:
- INPA, EDIABAS, NCS Expert, DIS, EasyDIS, Progman, & other BMW factory & dealer programming, coding, and diagnostic software (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) & related BMW diagnostic tools forums (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & the most often recommended BMW diagnostic tools & cable interfaces (1)

Note: Key users' posts to pay close attention to (alphabetically):Aca84, DavidMC, Dracon, Quick99Si, Randomly, & RDL (on a variety of forums).
Quote:
All links seem dead to me so far.
None of the links that we put into the top post should be dead, as all were painstakingly tested by Quick99Si & others. A few, such as the FTP link, stink; and some die on slow ISP connections (i.e., mine); but all should work.

Quote:
I'd like to get past an error I'm getting in NCSExpert.
We can't hope to duplicate help that is on the diagnostic forums; so I would think it prudent for you to ask a specific question over there as I certainly can't help you here.

Quote:
I used Free RAR Extract Frog
Thanks. I added a link to it in the top post, along with IZArc & WinRAR so others know they have simple choices for the RAR extraction step.

BTW, what we most need now are simple instructions for basic operation (coding & diagnostics) on the E39.
  1. We need volunteers to download & install the supplied software & make comments how to improve that process for the E39 ...
  2. We then need those volunteers to perform a simple diagnostic & supply the steps for their E39 ...
  3. And, we need those volunteers to perform a single coding step & supply the steps here for someone else to follow.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I have been doing this a small piece at a time. I finally received my Dell D600, and the cable (noted in a previous post). installed Daemon tools, a RAR tool that wouldn't expire on me, and proceded to install INPA/EDIABAS according to the pdf supplied. Couple of exceptions, Daemon tools put the CD image under F:. And since I am using an ADS converter, I set up the software on page 6, (step 2.8) to specify an ADS plug, and ran the driver setup in C:\EDIABAS\HARDWARE\ADS\ADS32\ADSsetup.exe, and rebooted the machine. When I run INPA, the screen has a weird flashing, I dont know if that is normal. I select F7 for my E53, but every selection I take from there fails (dont offhand know the error messages).

Should I have set this up as an OBD setup, since it is going through an OBD cable (along with the ADS conversion cable?
I used the OBD Setup exe file in the appropriate subdirectory of EDIABAS, as per the instructions. It only sets the the appropriate port settings. My INI file from the instruction set also uses "STD:OBD" instead of ADS. Mine is a Dell D620 with the ADS interface, connected underhood, and it worked out of the box. If you have an OBD/ADS toggle interface, you can try changing the mode via the hardware switch to see if it can communicate with the car but this will only have an affect on the right dot (IGN) in INPA.

The dots are used for connectivity confirmation:
Black dot on the LEFT means that you're connected to the car and the interface sees +12v which is funneled to the serial port (5V?)
Black dot on the RIGHT means that your ignition switch is on (set to position 3 IIRC, the where the steering wheel moves down)

I tried two USB/serial adapters and failed miserably, whereas serial worked literally as soon as it was connected.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:06 PM

Quick99si:

I don't know anything about a toggle interface, is that something in INPA? Or maybe, I need to re-run instprog.exe, as shown in the pdf on page 3, and specify OBD when I get to that screen. I will try this and re-run the OBDsetup thing when I have the chance tonight.

If this is the case, then we may want to note somewhere, that we need to install as if it were OBD, even if it is ADS in this situation (OBD - ADS adapter cable).

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Quick99si:

I don't know anything about a toggle interface, is that something in INPA? Or maybe, I need to re-run instprog.exe, as shown in the pdf on page 3, and specify OBD when I get to that screen. I will try this and re-run the OBDsetup thing when I have the chance tonight.

If this is the case, then we may want to note somewhere, that we need to install as if it were OBD, even if it is ADS in this situation (OBD - ADS adapter cable).

Thanks for the help guys.
Depending on which cable you have, you may have a hardware toggle button on the interface to switch between OBD and ADS protocols. Mine has it and I noted that the IGN indicator (right dot) is ON with the key in the on position, while the same dot is OFF when I toggle the ADS/OBD switch on the interface cable. The battery indicator dot in INPA is on regardless of mode, key position, etc.. My cable also has two internal LEDs: 1 is green and turns on when connected to the pacman connector under the hood, and the other one is red which turns on with the key in the on position. That may help you with troubleshooting, but honestly, you can avoid all this by sticking to a strictly serial solution if you have the means.

It sounds like you have a USB interface which is a lot more convenient obviously. Aside from installing the correct drivers, assigning that USB device to port 1, and playing with the port settings using the EXE files, you really can't do much to troubleshoot your connectivity issues. I would check the settings for your USB port and make sure they match the settings that OBDSetup.exe wants to set. This is done in System Properties (press WINKEY+Break), Hardware, Device Manager, find the USB-serial adapter and manipulate it's virtual port settings as per OBDSetup.exe.

I will post my settings from my other laptop in a few minutes here to see what mine is set as.

Last edited by Quick99Si; 09-13-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:34 PM

C:\EDIABAS\Bin\EDIABAS.ini --> "Interface = STD:OBD"
Code:
;=============================================================================
;EDIABAS 6.4.3 Configuration
[Configuration]

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
; EcuPath
;       Description :   ECU file path
;       Default     =   .
EcuPath          = C:\EDIABAS\ECU

; SimulationPath
;       Description :   Simulation file path
SimulationPath   = C:\EDIABAS\SIM

; TracePath
;       Description :   Trace file path
TracePath        = C:\EDIABAS\TRACE

; CodeMapping
;       Description :   Character mapping file path
;CodeMapping      = C:\EDIABAS\BIN\ansi2oem.tab

; TraceSize
;       Description :   Maximum size of each trace file [KB]
;       Value       :   0..32767
;       Default     =   1024
;TraceSize        = 1024

; ApiTrace
;       Description :   Enable/Disable API/User trace
;       Value       :   0  = Trace disabled
;                       1  = User trace
;                       2  = User trace + time stamp
;                       3  = User trace + time stamp + process id (Win32)
;                       4  = Function trace
;                       5  = Function trace + time stamp
;                       6  = Function trace + time stamp + timing
;                       7  = Function trace + time stamp + timing + process id (Win32)
;       Default     =   0
ApiTrace         = 0

; IfhTrace
;       Description :   Enable/Disable IFH trace
;                       1  = Trace enabled
;                       2  = Trace enabled
;                       3  = Trace enabled
IfhTrace         = 0

; SystemTraceSys
;       Description :   Enable/Disable system trace (runtime system)
;                       Trace levels 1..7
SystemTraceSys   = 0

; SystemTraceBip
;       Description :   Enable/Disable BIP trace (runtime system)
SystemTraceBip   = 0

; SystemTraceIfh
;       Description :   Enable/Disable IFH system trace
SystemTraceIfh   = 0

; SystemTraceNet
;       Description :   Enable/Disable network trace
SystemTraceNet   = 0

; BipDebugLevel
;       Description :   BIP debug level of ECU files
;       Value       :   0..32767
BipDebugLevel    = 0

; UbattHandling
;       Description :   Ubatt ON/OFF handling
;       Value       :   0  = Ubatt ON/OFF: No EDIABAS error
;                       1  = Ubatt ON/OFF: EDIABAS error
;       Default     =   1
UbattHandling    = 0

; IgnitionHandling
;       Description :   Ignition ON/OFF handling
;       Value       :   0  = Ignition ON/OFF: No EDIABAS error
;                       1  = Ignition ON/OFF: EDIABAS error
IgnitionHandling = 0

; TaskPriority
;       Description :   EDIABAS process/thread priority (only Win32/16)
;       Value       :   0  = Optimal EDIABAS performance = 8
;                       1  = Minimal EDIABAS performance
;                       ..
;                       10 = Maximal EDIABAS performance
TaskPriority     = 0

; LoadWin32
;       Description :   Map EDIABAS Win16 calls to EDIABAS Win32
;       Value       :   0  = Win16/32 Mapping disabled (Win16-->Win16)
;                       1  = Win16/32 Mapping enabled (Win16-->Win32)
;       Default     =   0 for Windows 9x/Me
;       Default     =   1 for Windows NT4/2000/XP
;LoadWin32        = 0

; SystemResults
;       Description :   Enable/Disable system results (ubatt/ignition/jobstatus)
;       Value       :   0  = Disable system results
;                       1  = Enable system results
SystemResults    = 1

; RetryComm
;       Description :   Repeat failed communication automatically (1x)
;       Value       :   0  = Retry disabled
;                       1  = Retry enabled (1x)
RetryComm        = 1

; Simulation
;       Description :   Enable/Disable ECU simulation
;       Value       :   0  = Simulation disabled
;                       1  = Simulation enabled
Simulation       = 0

; Interface
;       Description :   Connected diagnosis interface
;       Default     =   EDIC
Interface        = STD:OBD

; Additional information (in German) :
; Bitte beachten: Der HW-Treiber fuer das Interface muss installiert sein!

; Interface      = STD:OBD
; Beschreibung   : Serieller Pegelwandler (Nachfolger von ADS / Anschluss an OBD-Dose)
; Installation   : \EDIABAS\HARDWARE\OBD\ODBSETUP (nur noetig fuer WIN NT4, WIN 2000, WIN XP)
; INI-Datei      : OBD.ini nur benutzt wenn im Windows-Verzeichnis
; Unterstuetzung : WIN3.xx          : Nein
;                  WIN95,98  16-Bit : Ja
;                  WIN95,98  32-Bit : Ja
;                  WIN NT 4.0       : Ja
;                  WIN XP           : Ja

; Interface      = STD:FUNK
; Beschreibung   : Funk-Diagnose Interface MDA von Fa. Siemens
; Installation   : keine
; INI-Datei      : FUNK.INI
; Unterstuetzung : WIN95,98  16-Bit : Ja

; Interface      = ADS
; Beschreibung   : Serieller Pegelwandler (Anschluss an Diagnose-Dose)
; Installation   : \EDIABAS\HARDWARE\ADS\ADS32\ADSSETUP (nur fuer WinNT4 noetig)
; INI-Datei      : keine
;                  WIN95,98  32-Bit : Nein

; Interface      = KBUS
; Beschreibung   : Serieller Pegelwandler (Anschluss direkt an K-Bus oder I-Bus)
; Installation   : \EDIABAS\HARDWARE\ADS\ADS32\ADSSETUP (nur fuer WinNT4 noetig)
;                  WIN95,98  32-Bit : Nein

; Interface      = EDIC
; Beschreibung   : Serielles , PCMCIA , PC-Card Interface von Fa. Softing
; Installation   : \EDIABAS\HARDWARE\EDIC\SETUP.EXE
; INI-Datei      : EDICFW.INI, EDICHW.INI

; Interface      = EDICC
; Beschreibung   : EDIC-Card C oder EDIC-Card 2 CAN-Interface von Fa. Softing
; Installation   : \EDIABAS\HARDWARE\EDIC\SETUP.EXE
; INI-Datei      : XEDICC.INI

; Interface      = STD:CAN
; Beschreibung   : PCMCIA CAN-Interface CanCardX von Fa. Vector
; Installation   : keine (ausser Installation der CAN-Karte)
; INI-Datei      : CANRTTP.INI
; Unterstuetzung : WIN95,98  16-Bit : ?
;                  WIN95,98  32-Bit : ?
;                  WIN XP           : ?
; Ansprechpartner: Hr. Jusko
;   Telefon      : +49-(0)89/382-35891  (Hotline)
;   email        : FLASH.SERVICE@BMW.DE (Hotline)

; Interface      = STD:ADS4MOST
; Beschreibung   : Most-Interfaces von Fa. Oasis
; Installation   : keine (ausser Installation der Oasis-Karte)
; INI-Datei      : ADS4MOST.INI
; Unterstuetzung : WIN95,98  16-Bit : ?
;                  WIN95,98  32-Bit : ?
;   Ansprechpart.: Hr. Rowedder
;   Telefon      : 089 / 382-29159
;   email        : Michael.Rowedder@bmw.de

; Interface      = REMOTE
; Beschreibung   : Anbindung eines EDIABAS-Interfaces über TCP/IP
; Installation   : Anpassung der Einträge in [TCP] auf beiden Seiten (ins.: RemoteHost, Port)
; Unterstuetzung : WIN95,98  16-Bit : Nein
;                  WIN NT 4.0, XP   : Ja
; Sonderfall     : Interface OPPS

; Interface      = REMOTE:name
; Beschreibung   : Anbindung eines EDIABAS-Interfaces über TCP/IP
; Installation   : Anpassung der Einträge in [TCP] auf beiden Seiten (ins.: RemoteHost, Port)
; INI-Datei      : REMOTE.INI (insbesondere für Parallelbetrieb notwendig)
;                  In REMOTE.INI stehen unter [name] spezif. Einstellungen(z.B.: RemoteHost, Port)
; Unterstuetzung : WIN95,98  16-Bit : Nein
;                  WIN NT 4.0, XP   : Ja
; Sonderfall     : Interface OPPS

; NetworkProtocol
;       Description :   Network protocol
;       Default     =
NetworkProtocol  = TCP

;TCP/IP Configuration
[TCP]

; RemoteHost
;       Description :   server address/name
;       Default     = diaghead
RemoteHost           = 192.168.68.1

; Port
;       Description :   IP communication port
;       Value       :   1000 < port < 30000
;       Default     =
Port                 = 6801

;TimeoutConnect
;       Description :   Timeout for establishing the connection
;       Default     =   5000
TimeoutConnect       = 2000

;TimeoutReceive
;       Description :   Timeout for receiving a message
;       Default     =   5000
TimeoutReceive       = 2000

;TimeoutFunction
;       Description :   Timeout for a long function
;       Default     =   59000
TimeoutFunction      = 10000

;DisconnectOnApiEnd
;       Description :   Enable/Disable Disconnection with function call ApiEnd
;       Value       :   0  = Disconnection disabled
;                       1  = Disconnection enabled
;DisconnectOnApiEnd   = 1

;InitCmd
;       Description :   Initialization command  (normally for OPPS)
;       Default     =   
;InitCmd0             = FE,04,00,03,01
;InitCmd1             = FD,05,00,03,01

; End Of File EDIABAS.ini

Old 09-13-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks bluebee, I'm a bit more learned now than when I asked these questions, although not by much

I learned that FA is a string of text that holds the list of all options installed on any given car (BMW). NCSExpert coders may deal with that when adding or removing options from a car. I can imagine other coding software might also deal with it as it is a property of the car not the software. I believe it is stored on the ECU/DME.

Actually through reading one of the threads you mentioned there is a guy (dadeppa) who made a nice FA decrypter, where you can paste in the FA string as you get it from NCSExpert and it will tell you (although in German) the list of options within that string.

Here is a link: http://web424.serverdrome.eu/bmw/fa_decrypt.php

Despite all this, I still don't quite know how to edit the FA.
I don't know if you've heard of NCS Dummy, but man, do yourself a favor and use that utility instead of dealing with FA strings. Simply put, it uses trace files generated by NCSEXPERT and it allows you to manipulate all the available options in that module (read: code) for uploading back to the module. I apologize in advance if you already knew of this, and if you haven't, read the creator's thread at: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1553779

For me, using NCSEXPERT without NCSDUMMY is reckless and a waste of time.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 AM

Well, it seems to work now. Part of my confusion appears to be the location of the black dots. They are on the extreme left of the screen, one above "BMW Group..." and one below. I was looking at the circles next to "Battery" and "Ignition". It turns out that setting this up as OBD as per the PDF appears to work. I was able to carefully explore a bit. Havent quite found what I am looking for yet, but I am learning. I may need to do it all again though, since the D600 I bought off of ebay seems to be crapping out on me.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 E39 535i Sports
Hi Blue
First of all thanks man, You always come through with great stuff.
I bought VAG-COM V409.1 USB Vehicle OBD/OBD2 Cable with the BMW 20 PIN 16 PIN DIAGNOSTIC ADAPTOR CABLE OBD2 for my 2000 model 535i Msports.
Can you tell me what is the best free program that can be used with setup please mate.
I am using a older Sony laptop that uses Windows Xp.
Is there a program that is compatible with another incase I end up buying one later.
Could you post a link for me. I have tried to download one but I found out it was for a serial port.
Thank you Blue
Regards
Addam
Old 09-14-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I may need to do it all again though
If you can, it would be nice if you follow the help that is in the first post, and let us know (Quick99Si and me) what steps need clarifying so that others can then follow more easily in your footsteps!

Also, if you do a diagnostic procedure or a coding, write down the steps you followed so that we can add that as a vignette for future users!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick99Si View Post
using NCSEXPERT without NCSDUMMY is reckless and a waste of time.
A lot of folks have said that so it must be true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozibimmer View Post
Can you tell me what is the best free program that can be used with setup
You didn't mention what you want to do with it ... and ... well, the title of this thread, and the very first post, should already answer your question. Right?

That is, assuming you want to do coding (i.e., setting options), and diagnostics (i.e., reading error conditions & operating conditions), and maybe even some programming (i.e., flashing modules), the 'best free program" is already listed in as simple a manner as we can make it in the first post.

Maybe I misinterpreted the question, as the recommended software is exactly listed in the title of this thread, and in the order of appearance in both the title and in the first post.

Last edited by bluebee; 09-15-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 1994 325IC
Carsoft 6.5 can do all of those

How about if we use carsoft 6.5.06 for Window 7 and USB port

Click YouTube Logo to view description / comment on YouTube up here ^

And physically connect interface and ECU via computer

Then do a high way live test for it

Finally, Diagnose the ECU accumulated all kind of problems.

P.S
This is a list of all files necessary to run Carsoft 6.5.06 in windows 7 laptop with only USB slots

1. Download the Winzip 15.5 trial version http://www.winzip.com/win/en/index.htm
2. Get Carsoft Interface at CarsoftWest for $56 http://carsoftwest.com/services.html
3. Get Carsoft beta software from David Mc, http://www.4shared.com/file/EEyW2qRh...Windows_7.html
4. Buy Belkin (F5U409) http://www.frys.com/product/5756282#detailed
5. Download the driver of Belkin USB-Serial converter for windows 7
http://www.mct.com.tw/upload/Driver/U232_10.2.zip

Last edited by Ricardo567; 09-17-2011 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Update video
Old 09-17-2011, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 97 528i
ricardo
or anyone else that can answer. you did demonstrate that carsoft was able to clear engine codes, any chance that it can clear ABS and SRS codes?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by july865 View Post
any chance that [Carsoft] can clear ABS and SRS codes?
There 'are' separate threads already on what Carsoft 6.5 & Carsoft Ultimate Home (different beasts) can do.

It's probably best to look/ask/answer there ...
- What do Carsoft 6.5 & Ultimate Home do & what do they not do (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Last edited by bluebee; 09-18-2011 at 06:27 AM.