Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-19-2011, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 1994 325IC
Quote:
Originally Posted by july865 View Post
ricardo
or anyone else that can answer. you did demonstrate that carsoft was able to clear engine codes, any chance that it can clear ABS and SRS codes?
Yes, I did for my E36 1994 325IC to clear ABS. But this car doesn't have SRS code so I don't know about SRS.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 E39 535i Sports
Hi Guys
I bought software from Jimmy on another forum with the leads but after installing the Inpa it does not show the E39 model.
The model version is
Inpa V5.0.2
I loaded up BMW Group Rectification prorams UK
I am unable to get the E39 model up on any keys just all new models
Any help would be great as I am unable to use the reader at the moment.
Thanks alot guys in advance
Old 09-22-2011, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozibimmer View Post
Hi Guys
I bought software from Jimmy on another forum with the leads but after installing the Inpa it does not show the E39 model.
The model version is
Inpa V5.0.2
I loaded up BMW Group Rectification prorams UK
I am unable to get the E39 model up on any keys just all new models
Any help would be great as I am unable to use the reader at the moment.
Thanks alot guys in advance
You should contact the seller for help. If he's making money off this, then he probably has experience in dealing with problems that arise with installation. I'll send you a PM shortly.

540i - Stock/Sport / 6MT / 13.9@100mph
WS6 - 231/234 / 6MT / 4.10 / 410rwhp
ITR - 262/262 / 5MT / 12.2:1 / 9600rpm

540i/6 Sport, Jet Black, Style 65, LED tail, DICE+GROM USB, !CDV, Redline MT-90, M1 0-40w
Old 09-22-2011, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
I agree with contacting your vendor for help.

There is a method to modify the menu that I've seen described in this forum
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=233
Sorry but I don't have the thread. Your vendor probably did this to the version he sent you.

In the meantime. Try shift + F5 for old models. Perhaps the E39 is listed there on your version.

Regards
RDL
Old 09-22-2011, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0
Cables

After putting new memory in my D600, it turns out I wont have to do this all again. It appears that the serial cable I bought is working, sort of. I can look at stuff, and it is giving me answers I expect, but I never did get the battery and ignition dots. I had also bought a USB cable that I finally received, and was thinking about trying that. Is there anything I need to do to get it running with my setup, or will it just work?

This is what the USB cable is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adapter3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	294255  
Old 09-22-2011, 07:46 PM

Hi Guys
Thank you for your help, I have the software up and running on my laptop but the software Inpa is not picking up my car. I have a 99 model with the plug under the hood. I also bought the BMW 20 PIN 16 PIN DIAGNOSTIC ADAPTOR CABLE OBD2 to use with my car. I have it plugged in and the ignition on but it still does not pick up the software as it still shows Ingition off on the computer can anybody help me please.Do I have to change my settings in some way?
Thanks again
Addam

Last edited by ozibimmer; 09-22-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:51 PM

Hi All
I bought a 16 to 20 pacman plug for my car,
I have installed the INPA and downloaded the right driver for the USB to 16 pin lead I got with my software.The program still did not pick up my car it was showing battery but no ignition.
I opened up the pacman lead to check the wires and it has wires going to the below pins
now after being told I now have to add a new wire on my 16 to 20 plug from number 16 to number 1 on the other end that connects to USB lead. Have any of you guys had to do this and do anyone have any info on why this has to be done.
Is there anyone that knows of a plug I can buy without having to pull mine apart
Cheers
Addam
Old 09-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Mein Auto: E24 E39 E83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozibimmer View Post
Hi Guys
Thank you for your help, I have the software up and running on my laptop but the software Inpa is not picking up my car. I have a 99 model with the plug under the hood. I also bought the BMW 20 PIN 16 PIN DIAGNOSTIC ADAPTOR CABLE OBD2 to use with my car. I have it plugged in and the ignition on but it still does not pick up the software as it still shows Ingition off on the computer can anybody help me please.Do I have to change my settings in some way?
Thanks again
Addam
I'm in the same boat as you! Going to be working one on one with someone on it tonight. Will report on the cure if we get it working smoothly.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:08 PM

OK, answering my own question. When using a USB type cable, you need to install the drivers (I got them from the CD that came with it). One of these drivers will be a usb-serial controller. Then go into Control Panel -> System -> Hardware tab -> Device Manager. Reassign COM1 to some other COM that is unused (probably only need to do this if your computer has a serial port). Go into the Universal Serial Bus controllers, and set your new controller to use COM1 instead of whatever it had been set to (mine was on COM4).

Once I did this I FINALLY got the Battery and Ignition dots to turn on. Not sure the cable worked any better, but the dots are on.

Last edited by mrshort77; 09-26-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Bimmer Loyalist

Inpa/ediabas help!

FRUSTRATION SETTING IN! NEED HELP!

I have been trying to get my INPA/EDIABAS to communicate with my 00' E39 528it and have had no luck at all. Randomy has been of huge help getting my settings correct and I commend him for his patience working with me on this. I though that I should throw this out there and see if anyone else (probably is) having or had similar problems.

When I try to run program I cannot get the battery light to come on the screen but does turn on little led on cable adapter. After choosing E39 and try to connect to engine management system (using ADS adapt)I keep getting "IFH003" error and when I try to use straight OBD connection in vehicle, I get "IFH009" error. Looking at the FAQ that Bluebee has provided, both these codes seem to be related to interface problems.

I am using a Prolific USB to serial adapter. Has anyone used this, and know that it does or does not work? Do I need to purchase the Belkin USB to serial?

Thanks to Randomy, USB port and COM settings seems to be correct as well.

Ediabas.ini file settings seem to be correct as well.

Need your advise and help. In my opinion it really has something to do with interface cables? Looking for opinions. Any help appreciated.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:04 PM

You can try disabling the other serial ports, any AV/firewalls you may have including Windows, test it on a laptop with a serial port, test it on another e39, etc. I can tell you that USB-serial adapters without additional onboard hardware don't seem to virtualize the serial ports as effectively. Take a look at your adapter and then take a look at a Belkin: http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/357894...al_no_logo.jpg

Also, this site has common causes of the IFH003 error: http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=842420

Realistically though, a laptop with a serial port dedicated to BMW diagnostics completely eliminates all this guess work and frustration...

540i/6 Sport, Jet Black, Style 65, LED tail, DICE+GROM USB, !CDV, Redline MT-90, M1 0-40w
Old 09-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick99Si View Post
You can try disabling the other serial ports, any AV/firewalls you may have including Windows, test it on a laptop with a serial port, test it on another e39, etc. I can tell you that USB-serial adapters without additional onboard hardware don't seem to virtualize the serial ports as effectively. Take a look at your adapter and then take a look at a Belkin: http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/357894...al_no_logo.jpg

Also, this site has common causes of the IFH003 error: http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=842420

Realistically though, a laptop with a serial port dedicated to BMW diagnostics completely eliminates all this guess work and frustration...
Thanks for the info. I odered a Belkin cable through ebay and a serial 6ft extension cable as well. Will be searching for a older laptop too. Looks like they are running anywhere from $75-$175 w/ the all important serial port.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Well, I ended up getting a Dell Latitude D610 w/ serial port (made sure with seller first) running Windows XP Pro, 512 megs of RAM, 40gig hard drive, 6mo warranty all for $80. This will be dedicated to running INPA/Ediabas, Progman etc... Hope that this thing works out. Worst that can happen I gues is re-sell on Ebay if it doesn't. Will report back with success or horror stories as it happens.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to crazyb0064 Send a message via MSN to crazyb0064 Send a message via Yahoo to crazyb0064
Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayster0966 View Post
FRUSTRATION SETTING IN! NEED HELP!

I have been trying to get my INPA/EDIABAS to communicate with my 00' E39 528it and have had no luck at all. Randomy has been of huge help getting my settings correct and I commend him for his patience working with me on this. I though that I should throw this out there and see if anyone else (probably is) having or had similar problems.

When I try to run program I cannot get the battery light to come on the screen but does turn on little led on cable adapter. After choosing E39 and try to connect to engine management system (using ADS adapt)I keep getting "IFH003" error and when I try to use straight OBD connection in vehicle, I get "IFH009" error. Looking at the FAQ that Bluebee has provided, both these codes seem to be related to interface problems.

I am using a Prolific USB to serial adapter. Has anyone used this, and know that it does or does not work? Do I need to purchase the Belkin USB to serial?

Thanks to Randomy, USB port and COM settings seems to be correct as well.

Ediabas.ini file settings seem to be correct as well.

Need your advise and help. In my opinion it really has something to do with interface cables? Looking for opinions. Any help appreciated.
Did you try turning the key on? I ran into a similar problem accessing some things without the key being on acc or the car being on.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Yes, tried with key on, anti virus off, firewall disabled, and every other hint or trick.
New USB to serial should be here soon hopefully that will do it. New ( old) laptop will be here next week to be also loaded and configured for sole purpose of using software. Hopefully one or both will work to full potential.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:11 AM

OK, worked on installing EasyDIS and GT1 last night. "Worked on" implies failed so far. Gotta few questions though.
1. The "read this first" says to burn the base on a CD and the Programs on a DVD. Had some struggling, but got it done. But why? I thought we were gonna run these from daemon tools.
2. Daemon tools lite only appears to support two images at once. With INPA, easyDIS base, and GT1 Programs, that would be three. Is it necessary to have all three mounted at once?
3. The "read this first" references an "EasyDIS installation .PDF", notably page 8a. Where am I missing this? I have googled it and was able to come up with page 8a, but not the whole thing. Maybe I am overlooking something.
4. When I try to start the virtual machine (Randomy's guide, after mounting EasyDis base), it is telling me that I need to be registered or get a a license or something. There is a link that takes me to VMware 8 purchasing for $200. Not gonna do that. I recall I didn't disable the virus or firewall thing, not sure if that has something to do with it, but I wont have the opportunity to try again for a couple of days.
5. How to #2: http://quick99si3.home.comcast.net/b..._interface.mht does not appear to be a how to, but contains a great deal of what appears to be coded data. What is it? - wait, figured this one out, as this link only works in Internet Explorer, never mind.

Last edited by mrshort77; 09-29-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshort77 View Post
OK, worked on installing EasyDIS and GT1 last night. "Worked on" implies failed so far. Gotta few questions though.
1. The "read this first" says to burn the base on a CD and the Programs on a DVD. Had some struggling, but got it done. But why? I thought we were gonna run these from daemon tools.
2. Daemon tools lite only appears to support two images at once. With INPA, easyDIS base, and GT1 Programs, that would be three. Is it necessary to have all three mounted at once?
3. The "read this first" references an "EasyDIS installation .PDF", notably page 8a. Where am I missing this? I have googled it and was able to come up with page 8a, but not the whole thing. Maybe I am overlooking something.
4. When I try to start the virtual machine (Randomy's guide, after mounting EasyDis base), it is telling me that I need to be registered or get a a license or something. There is a link that takes me to VMware 8 purchasing for $200. Not gonna do that. I recall I didn't disable the virus or firewall thing, not sure if that has something to do with it, but I wont have the opportunity to try again for a couple of days.
5. How to #2: http://quick99si3.home.comcast.net/b..._interface.mht does not appear to be a how to, but contains a great deal of what appears to be coded data. What is it? - wait, figured this one out, as this link only works in Internet Explorer, never mind.
1. You do not need to burn any disks. It's a waste of media, time, and it makes installations slower. The burning is effectively substituted by DaemonTools and VMware, as you seem to have understood. If you're looking for confirmation that you can bypass the CD/DVD burning, then yes, I can confirm you can simply mount in DT, though I believe the GT1 ISO will be mounted from within VMware.

2. Install INPA/EDIABAS, unmount the image you used to install it and move it somewhere for safekeeping. You don't need it anymore unless you wish to run the install program again. STOP here and test your cable, if you haven't already. If your cannot commnicate with the car, you need to resolve the issue before moving on.

3. No comment yet, I need to do some reasearch for you on this.

4. Have you tried the recommended version of VMware? There are ways to get that specific version, there's a link in Bluebee's first post, but PM me if you need help with this one

5. The MHT file extension was a pain to download so I re-uploaded the guide URL to: http://quick99si3.home.comcast.net/b..._interface.htm. That file is my offline archive of this page: http://www.dvsntt.com/INPA/ with credit given to Randomy. Scroll down to the heading "DIS with INPA interace" (bottom half) or the purpose of installing EasyDIS/GT1.

Last edited by Quick99Si; 09-29-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:52 AM

Additions and corrections to the main post:

1. Additional mirror for virtually all files can be found here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1374483
2. EasyDIS How-to #3 has changed to: http://quick99si3.home.comcast.net/b..._interface.htm (see "DIS with INPA interface" heading)

Has ANYBODY got a serial interface to work with anything but a Belkin serial-USB adapter??

Old 09-29-2011, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 740il
The best way to get answers to most of the questions raised in this thread is to search the Bimmerforums Diagnostic software forum. Except for Quick99Si, there are few people with much knowledge of and experience with INPA, DIS, etc who pay much attention to this thread.

The best place to get the software and instructions is David McLean's 4shared site. You will need some help to access the files. David's "Supp Page 8a" is in the Easy GT folder.

One major source of confusion seems to be what was labeled the "ADS" connector/interface in the first post of this thread. It's misleading to label the 20-pin diagnostic connector under the hood the "ADS" connector, because that implies you need an "ADS" interface. The ADS interface uses pin 15 (RXD), which was phased out in 1996. None of the E39's in this 1997-2003 forum should need an ADS interface, but if you have any doubt, check the voltage at pin 15; if you see about 11v you need an ADS interface. If not you need an OBD interface. In any event, if you have the 20-pin under hood diagnostic connector you must use it, not the under dash OBD connector, to access all the modules.

BTW, I'm now using a MacbookPro with a bootcamp windows XP partition and a Syba true serial port express card. It works flawlessly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Diagnostic socket.pdf (195.6 KB, 346 views)
File Type: pdf bus system.pdf (1.22 MB, 259 views)
Old 09-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstri View Post
The best way to get answers to most of the questions raised in this thread is to search the Bimmerforums Diagnostic software forum.
I was wondering 'when' you were going to chime in Jeff! Remember, you started all this by your discussions with me as to the usefulness of the 'quick sensor test' versus the detailed INPA/NCS/DIS methodology!

Then, Quick99Si reported that the quick sensor test gave different results than the detailed fancy schmancy tools test ... and we were off (dozens of PMs later) with the first post of this thread being what it currently is.

I do agree with you that this thread (indeed, this forum) is NOT the best place for detailed Q&A with installation problems.

What this thread is 'supposed' to be about is to simply make sense of the bare minimum software and equipment to get an E39 user going on the most basic factory & dealer setup of the E39 era.

If this thread allows E39 owners to simply 'obtain' and understand the E39-era tools, then this thread has done its intended job.

In summary, you're right about 'where' to get help once you've obtained the E39 software & hardware (i.e., it's not here).

Quote:
The best place to get the software and instructions is David McLean's 4shared site.
If that's the site we originally obtained the software, then that's the wrong answer.

The best place to get the recommended E39-era software is, now, actually, Quick99Si's site.

Quick99Si took great pains to download 'just' the versions needed for the E39; and he compressed the files into far far far fewer files; and, best of all, the horrifically punishing 4shared site is eliminated from the mix! (Trust me on how horrid it is for a user on a 1Mbps connection. It's actually impossible to obtain all the files needed due to the timeouts that occur.) So, anyone reading this for the E39, DO NOT go to the 4shared site unless you enjoy complexity and failure; use Quick99Si's site instead for the exact versions of E39-era software discussed in the initial post of this thread).

In summary, Quick99Si's site is 'just' what you need for the E39 (not what you'd need for all BMWs); and, most importantly, Quick99Si's renditions don't have the heinous download problems of the 4shared commercial site (which is designed to be onerous to the freebie users - and which amply accomplishes that odious goal).

Quote:
One major source of confusion seems to be what was labeled the "ADS" connector/interface in the first post of this thread.
The whole point is to REDUCE confusion: not create it!

Check that first post in about an hour and let me know what else needs to be fixed as I'll try to incorporate your suggestions into the original post.

Thanks for the help. Remember, you started this ... it's only fair that you're part of the solution!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diagnostic socket_Page_1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	295275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diagnostic socket_Page_2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	295276  

Last edited by bluebee; 09-29-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 PM

The files hosted on my server came directly from the 4shared location listed above. Other sources scattered throughout have mostly the same files, likely having originated from that 4shared account, but they typically require premium accounts or days to download. I only uploaded the install files and pertinent documentation because I went through the tediuous 4shared shuffle and spent way too much time downloading stuff from there piece by piece. I realized that I myself would have LOVED a one-click-and-walk-away download location when I started this, so there you have it and it's all linked in the first post.

Fact is, my mirrors should only be considered as an alternative to the original because I did not author any of this, nor have I included the totality of the 4shared website. I only uploaded the exact files and documentation which I used from scratch, which is to say that you can grab those on your laptop, disconnect your modem, and finish the installations without the need for any additional tools or guides.

With that said, I consider David McLean's 4shared to be the Bible of our operation here and I myself am very grateful for what he has provided to us all. If there is anything important that may need rehosting for easier download, please PM me the information and I'll get it done immediately. During my installations, I would have also appreciated a guide and a breakdown of all the requirements and suggested material (eg what software does what, which is preferred, and how to run it). I wasn't able to find any of this myself, and all the information I came across was all over the place with various intents and uses in mind... this thread would have saved me so much time by simply breaking down the process into organized steps, yet it goes so much deeper than that. Heck, I still refer to it to keep up with the updates myself

Last edited by Quick99Si; 09-29-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

FINALLY! SUCCESS!

Finally got both bat and ign lights to come on and all modules are accessible. I had to use a Belkin F5U409 USB to Serial and a 3 foot serial extension to do it. Note to all: When you run the OBDsetup.exe all the results must say OK for program to work smoothly. (in my case anyway) I had to change serial enum values with registry editor unitl everything matched the OBDsetup expected values. I would like to thank everyone who chipped in with all the advice to get this program working. Now on to next step and practice and install DIS/GT1, Progman.

So thrilled I had to share.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Bimmer Loyalist

DIS/GT1 Network Problem

Need your assistance again folks.

When installing DIS/GT1, the stage were you have to configure the network editor instead of getting the "VMware Network Adapter VMnet1" under VMnet1 I get this config instead.

I have changes IP address and all instructions as per install guide. Proceeded to install the software and everything went smoothly.

After reboot and try to fire up DIS I get the following screen warnign next but program then loads normally.

Once I get DIS running to the point "Calibrating Touch Screen" to run "Configure EDIABAS" then "API test", I get a error 009, which according to the guide is a network communication problem. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do next to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated again.

THANKS
Old 10-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Got everything in DIS up and running as well using Bluebee's associated guides and links! Guess you really have to be patient and take the time to read every little note thats out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayster0966 View Post
Need your assistance again folks.

When installing DIS/GT1, the stage were you have to configure the network editor instead of getting the "VMware Network Adapter VMnet1" under VMnet1 I get this config instead.

I have changes IP address and all instructions as per install guide. Proceeded to install the software and everything went smoothly.

After reboot and try to fire up DIS I get the following screen warnign next but program then loads normally.

Once I get DIS running to the point "Calibrating Touch Screen" to run "Configure EDIABAS" then "API test", I get a error 009, which according to the guide is a network communication problem. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do next to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated again.

THANKS
Old 10-10-2011, 08:25 AM

!

Last edited by mrshort77; 10-12-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: This is frustrating