Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 08-12-2011, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: Want bmw m5
Question E60 M5 OR F10 M5 IN 5 Years?

Hey all bimmer lovers, I am 19 years old and currently joining the military. I have wanted a bmw m5 since I was 9 years old and I will get one. I plan on saving my money while in and purchasing a bmw m5. I love the E60 m5 but I was wondering if I should get the f10 m5 since I will be purchasing the m5 in a few years in the future. So what do u guys think if I want to purchase a m5 say in 5 years should I get the new model or E60?
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2011, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
I think the M5 is going to be too much car for you, even 5 years from now. I'd suggest you work you're way up through various models to allow you to become acquainted with the ability of the BMW, and let's face it, you're probably more prone to getting yourself in trouble at the age of 24 just because youth has a tendency to behave irrationally at times. Sorry if that offends you, but if I were your parent, I'd really do my best to steer you away from the M5 until you're in your 30's.

Retired: 2006 330i, Gray, sports/cold/premium packages
Old 08-14-2011, 04:57 PM

If you were my parent I don't think you should be able to tell your 24 year old what to do especially if I don't live with my parents. I also feel that if I am old enough to serve this country I should be able to drive any car I want and I am sure that everyone with an "M" car has had 1 speeding ticket or pulled over for speeding in their lifetime. Why have a car with so much power and not have fun with it? I drive an infiniti g37x right now so I would like to move up on a car with more power. I also made this post seeing whether or not the e60 m5 would be a better buy than the f10 model, not asking if I am old enough to drive one.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty1gonz27 View Post
If you were my parent I don't think you should be able to tell your 24 year old what to do especially if I don't live with my parents. I also feel that if I am old enough to serve this country I should be able to drive any car I want and I am sure that everyone with an "M" car has had 1 speeding ticket or pulled over for speeding in their lifetime. Why have a car with so much power and not have fun with it? I drive an infiniti g37x right now so I would like to move up on a car with more power. I also made this post seeing whether or not the e60 m5 would be a better buy than the f10 model, not asking if I am old enough to drive one.
Sir, first of all Thank you for serving;
So are you planning to buy it 5 years from now? if yes then the E 60 will be obsolete
and the F10 will be ready to turn in the the next cycle (model)
I was looking for a new M5 E60 that was discontinued few months ago,
and I was unable to find one.Do you think you will find one after 5 years?
unless if you are talking about a used one
in which case you will probably have to get an F10 M5 since the E60's will be probably
beaten with 100,000 miles by that time. (Not the best bet to buy an M car used)
what I would heavily suggest is to buy an E9X M3
you will find so much more satisfaction from it since this car is likely to survive by that
time and its 413 hp The 5 current F10 series is not a flexible car anymore especially on the F10 body
I am curious to see what the reviews will be on the upcoming F10 M5...
finally,
remember always (in life and in the army) with power comes responsibility. Apply it and you will prevail
ignore it and perish.

Last edited by bmw_enthusiasm; 08-15-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
Are you honestly asking what car you should buy in 5 years? If so, that's just plain dumb.

'05 545i, Auto, Orient Blue, Beige Dakota,Bamboo Anthracite, Logic 7, Xenon, PDC, Premium Package, Mtec V2 AE, 19" E92 M3 Rep. Wheels, M5TEC Bumper , MTEC rear bumper, 70k miles as of 1/13.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Debt View Post
Are you honestly asking what car you should buy in 5 years? If so, that's just plain dumb.

There's nothing wrong with planning for the future, as a responsible individual should.

I bought my e39 540i 6-speed when I was 20yrs old. I was in the market for a possible m5, as a few came up in my price range. I agree with the earlier posts that you should scale down from the M series. You may not experience the car in full if you are constantly scraping by to keep it maintained as the M series engines require much more attention. Also, I am using my experience with my 540 to prepare me for when I finally go buy that m5.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i w/sport M pack
M5

I'm 31 and in the same boat planning to buy an M5 in 3-5 years. As a reference point I drove a 1999 Cobra Mustang straight out of college when I was 21 and then a Saleen S281E when I made Captain at 25(Army). It sounds like you are light years ahead of others your age so I will avoid age comments like these other knuckle heads. Funny thing about the M5 is it bottoms out on depreciation at about $25k unless it's beat. In all likelihood you will be looking at a low mileage E90 vs a low mileage F10 for around a $7-10k difference. Is the F10 worth $10k more? Read some car and driver type "vs" reviews to understand what the difference is between old and new to answer that. I would never buy a 2002 vs a 2006 right now because the styling and performance of the E90 is much better. I have also owned a 2007 Z4 M version as a reference point. I'd buy the newest M5 you can afford but not newer than 3-4 years old to take advantage of upfront depreciation. Buy it from someone with all maintenance records and have a trusted BMW mechanic inspect it. If I buy in 2014 I will look for a 2006-2009 for $20-27k with 60k miles or less and one that is stock. They exist and represent the best value. Good luck and feel free to write me to discuss more. Perhaps we can help each other make the best decision.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535 X Drive M Sport
If you have to "save up" for 5 years for a M5, do you think you can really afford it? I mean, in the big picture, shouldn't those savings start a retirement fund, house fund, kids education fund, etc? The way things are going in the US right now, social security will be bankrupt and medical coverage will be poorer than it is now. Until the US can find countries to buy stuff from it that they can't produce themselves and pay cash, things aren't going to get better. Injecting money into the economy by building roads just drives up the national debt and brings the US closer to Greece (a long way to go though). Getting a home equity loan to buy stuff and drive the economy hasn't worked - witness the last bubble and the current recession. Bottom line, when you get out of the military, you'll be happy if you can find a job, never mind afford an M5. Of course, you can always dream -- that is what your youth is for.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i w/sport M pack
Jack Wagon

Ah yes, another financial genius... let me guess you have a 30 or 50 year mortgage, 2 or 3 car payments.. maybe even a lease and you think you can come on here and lecture others on their spending habits. Pure genius... personally I have a 10 year low interest fixed rate mortgage on a 2500 sq ft house in a location that has a cost of living 50% higher than the US average, no car payments, 3 fully stocked college funds and 15% towards my retirement. I guess you could say I'm living like my grandma would have... paying cash, no credit cards, no loans and money stacked to the roof. Oh, and yeah... I'll save the $ each month now by giving myself a car payment so that when the day comes I can pay cash for my 3-4 year old, lightly used, heavily depreciated M5 and drive it for 5-10 years. The M cars actually drive so much better when they don't have the anchor of a car payment or lease slowing them down.

By the way, I do agree with you on social security and believe it should be personalized like Chile but that's another forum. Great point there. Also, your general views on government seem spot on so kudos there. As for the personal finance check out www.daveramsey.com for an alternative perspective. Cheers
Old 10-28-2011, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535 X Drive M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper141 View Post
Ah yes, another financial genius... let me guess you have a 30 or 50 year mortgage, 2 or 3 car payments.. maybe even a lease and you think you can come on here and lecture others on their spending habits. Pure genius... personally I have a 10 year low interest fixed rate mortgage on a 2500 sq ft house in a location that has a cost of living 50% higher than the US average, no car payments, 3 fully stocked college funds and 15% towards my retirement. I guess you could say I'm living like my grandma would have... paying cash, no credit cards, no loans and money stacked to the roof. Oh, and yeah... I'll save the $ each month now by giving myself a car payment so that when the day comes I can pay cash for my 3-4 year old, lightly used, heavily depreciated M5 and drive it for 5-10 years. The M cars actually drive so much better when they don't have the anchor of a car payment or lease slowing them down.

By the way, I do agree with you on social security and believe it should be personalized like Chile but that's another forum. Great point there. Also, your general views on government seem spot on so kudos there. As for the personal finance check out www.daveramsey.com for an alternative perspective. Cheers
Actually, I live in a 3,200 sq ft house in one of the best areas of my city, and although compared to many cities in the US, at a market value of $1.5M it is probably an inexpensive house, the first thing we did after we bought it 5 years ago was burn off the mortgage, so we are mortgage free. My wife drives a Honda Accord and I lease my cars, changing every 3 years or so. Like you, I put away for education and retirement (I'm in my early 50's). My wife is younger and we have 2 young kids (2 and 4), so we have years of expenses ahead of us.

I don't consider myself to be a financial genius, just practical in my approach to financial matters as I don't have a golden egg waiting for me (beyond my own savings and retirement fund). No one is going to take care of us but ourselves. The OP may not get it at his age, but it is true. The money guys on Wall Street (sorry guys) are looking out for themselves and they lobby the government to write the rules in their favour. That is how we ended up with credit default swaps and derivatives after they were outlawed years ago to help prevent the market from financial meltdown the US has just been through. I wonder why the government would deregulate those instruments after the fiasco in the late '30's??

Check out Michael Moore on the point (check out the last 1/3 of the interview here: http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...-the-1-percent ).

So to the guy is saving every penny to buy an M5 in 5 years; I repeat - If you have to save for 5 years to buy a car, I think you're in over your head. It's nice to be able to dream though.

Just my $0.02 worth (I've got that spare change)

Last edited by grover432; 10-28-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:28 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Consider this: An M5 is very much to handle, as is an F22. Do you think pilots get to fly F22s with a couple hundred hours?

It is not about what you think you deserve, it is about your real capabilities. Now, if, over the next several years, you go and get some serious driving school lessons on top of a whole lot of miles driven, that might do it. But driving is a skill, and consider that your skill level might not be up to it.

Either that, or you would just be sitting in an M5, but driving it like it was a Camry.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:39 PM

WOW everyone and there opinions I love it!! You see unlike most of you guys that have your jobs and went to college maybe having mommy and daddy pay for your schooling, I actually work. I have a job that consists of 24 hours a day 7 days a week and if you live in the U.S. making sure you can drive your wonderful bmw's because I am in the military and i have to risk my life and be away from my family and cannot enjoy the little things. But it is my decision to be in the military and I think I have the right to sign the papers for a car if I can sign my life away to the government. I am deploying over seas which causes me to wait until I get back to the states which wont be until after 4 years at least maybe longer. So do i have to wait five years to buy a car..no Im sure i can go and get a loan right now if i so chose to, but for what? To have hit sit in a garage not get driven? I dont know about you guys, maybe some of you drive your cars once a year but if im gonna spend money on something im gonna use it. So thankyou for all the opinions but before trying to be mommy and daddy about finances and safety with me, I dont live with mommy and daddy anymore and safety? I am going to the middle east I should be worrying about safety over there but im not because its my duty to not be scared or think I can't handle guns shots or some bombs? So please save the safety comments.

Last edited by Ty1gonz27; 10-28-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 05 530i
Buy it dude, dont listen to these geezers, you will have plenty of time to save for retirement

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer
Old 10-28-2011, 05:57 PM

I dont know why there is so much hate to.someone who is just looking to buy a great car when I.get back to the states.

Last edited by Ty1gonz27; 10-28-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:42 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Because people get killed when they drive cars way above their abilities.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:47 PM

Soldiers get killed overseas
Old 10-29-2011, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 05 530i
Only if u drive like an idiot

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer
Old 10-30-2011, 03:03 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Okay, I'm one of those old geezers (46) who will pay off his mortgage on a 4,000sq ft home before his 50th birthday, has a fat 401k, planning on an early retirement, and only have a car only loan because it is at 0.9% interest.

That said, 28 years ago, I enlisted in the Navy straight out of high school. My first car was a brand new Suzuki SJ410 (pre-Samurai). I had to take an advance on my pay for a down payment, and the combination of car payment, insurance, and the advance pay repayment left me with little leftover in my paycheck. I didn't always have gas money or money for entertainment, but I do remember having a lot of fun in that little jeep. Just in case you safety guys think it's ludicrous to compare a 45hp jeep with 500hp über-car, just means you guys have never driven a vehicle into the Atlantic Ocean or jumped out of a moving vehicle when you saw a couple of pretty girls.

Anyway, I couldn't really afford it at the time, it wasn't a practical choice, but I don't think I would have done it any differently - there's plenty of time to think about your future. So you enjoy your youth while you are young, but more importantly come back home in one piece.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 11-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport und i3
I wouldn't encourage someone that is not very well off to purchase a 10 year old super car. While you could probably save enough and afford the purchase, the maintenance will kill you.

When I was fresh out of college, a buddy bought a Ferrari 308. Seriously, like Magnum PI style (look it up on wikipedia; Your parents watched it). It was 15 years old and he got it for a "steal", at around $22k. Made fun of my first post college car, an Acura RSX Type S, right up until the Pony's maintenance started crippling him. Car was great when it ran, but it constantly needed something done. I think he ended up selling it to another schmuck a year later.

I'm not saying that a BMW would have the same type of problems, but there is a certain amount of care required for older cars that push the limits, especially if you use them as daily drivers.

If you find yourself in a position to purchase an M5 five years from now, buy an F10.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Alter Peter

Mein Auto: 2012 ///M3 LMB/Black
Quote:
Hey all bimmer lovers, I am 19 years old and currently joining the military. I have wanted a bmw m5 since I was 9 years old and I will get one. I plan on saving my money while in and purchasing a bmw m5. I love the E60 m5 but I was wondering if I should get the f10 m5 since I will be purchasing the m5 in a few years in the future. So what do u guys think if I want to purchase a m5 say in 5 years should I get the new model or E60?
Thank you for serving your country and mankind

My recommendation would be check into your choice in 4 years from now after test driving a few cars of your choice at that time. In five years from now you deserve the best Technology is changing all the time at BMW.

Driving mt 2012 /// M3 LMB & Black Leather Interior Fully Loaded
I drove a Z4 35i across the USA in 2010 & loved it.
Somehow I just had to get back into the /// M3 and so I did.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:02 PM

I sure will, I know i will be deff getting a Bmw though.. And thank-you for the respect unlike some of our fellow members.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: X5M
Quote:
I sure will, I know i will be deff getting a Bmw though.. And thank-you for the respect unlike some of our fellow members.
Kid, dream big and aim high. With these atittude, you are more likely to accomplish your goals in your life.

I have a 2008 M5 with 18K. This is my weekend car and used only in good weather condition. My goal is to keep this car for a loooong time. I will rotate my other cars but not the M5.

I am your you can find well kept M5's with tracable maintenance records.

At you age, I couldn't afford 50 cents for a bus ride and had to work miles for job interviews. However, I dreamed big and was able to achieve most of my dreams.

Good luck!

2011 X35D, Alpine white, Tobacco brown, all options except 3rd row

2008 ///M5 Alpine White

2008 335 Convertible, Monaco Blue (gone 2011)

2007 Z-4 Roadster - Alpine White, Black top (gone 2011)

2006 530 Black black (gone in 2009)
Old 11-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Gap Filler for a M6 GC?!?

Mein Auto: '10 550i M-Sport
Thank you for your service to this country.

Work hard, live life to the fullest, and don't finance yourself into a bad situation.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 07 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
Consider this: An M5 is very much to handle, as is an F22. Do you think pilots get to fly F22s with a couple hundred hours?

It is not about what you think you deserve, it is about your real capabilities. Now, if, over the next several years, you go and get some serious driving school lessons on top of a whole lot of miles driven, that might do it. But driving is a skill, and consider that your skill level might not be up to it.

Either that, or you would just be sitting in an M5, but driving it like it was a Camry.
This one @ the top. He is not driving in the 24 Hour of Le Mans he is driving an E60 M5 on surface streets. He can go to the track and start entering the beginner level stages and learn the basics there or even attend the BMW driving school if he wanted. If he plans to drive it like a Camry then, whats it to you or me, at least he won't be endangering peoples lifes. Honestly its none of our business what he plans to do or how he drives his future ///M5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumrace View Post
I think the M5 is going to be too much car for you, even 5 years from now. I'd suggest you work you're way up through various models to allow you to become acquainted with the ability of the BMW, and let's face it, you're probably more prone to getting yourself in trouble at the age of 24 just because youth has a tendency to behave irrationally at times. Sorry if that offends you, but if I were your parent, I'd really do my best to steer you away from the M5 until you're in your 30's.
Come down to So Cal and lets introduce you to the dozen of 18-25 year olds whom are E60 M5 owners

I'd say more but I'm not going to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
If you have to "save up" for 5 years for a M5, do you think you can really afford it? I mean, in the big picture, shouldn't those savings start a retirement fund, house fund, kids education fund, etc? The way things are going in the US right now, social security will be bankrupt and medical coverage will be poorer than it is now. Until the US can find countries to buy stuff from it that they can't produce themselves and pay cash, things aren't going to get better. Injecting money into the economy by building roads just drives up the national debt and brings the US closer to Greece (a long way to go though). Getting a home equity loan to buy stuff and drive the economy hasn't worked - witness the last bubble and the current recession. Bottom line, when you get out of the military, you'll be happy if you can find a job, never mind afford an M5. Of course, you can always dream -- that is what your youth is for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
So to the guy is saving every penny to buy an M5 in 5 years; I repeat - If you have to save for 5 years to buy a car, I think you're in over your head. It's nice to be able to dream though.

Just my $0.02 worth (I've got that spare change)

I'm Khyber over @ M5board and stumbled on this thread through a friend and just had to budge into the discussion. I drive a 2007 BMW M5 (Black Sapphire). How old am I? I am 22 years old. I track my M5, willow springs, button willow, Las Vegas Speedway (during MFEST), Laguna Seca, and random runway 1 mile runs. I used to have a Porsche Cayenne Trassyberia and beforehand a M3 when I was 19. My point is that it is his problem, as long as he can afford to buy an M5 more power to him, its his dream why are you hating on his dream.

For those of you whom say the M5 is to much car to handle, why sorry you can't afford one but in five years this "MAN" (the OP) will afford an M5 and most likely go the track and be in a beginner level stage and start to learn the limits of whichever future M5 he buys. This is not my problem nor anyone else is problem. He asked for simple advice and not a lecture from strangers who are obviously "haters".

I did a Targa Trophy Rally when I was 19 in my Porsche Cayenne Trassyberia and got 2nd place out of all the other amazing drivers and supercars. I'm not a pro driver but for my age I am a damn good driver. To sit behind my computer and here members lecture this guy about how his driving ability might not be up to par for an M5 is just wrong. If he can afford the insurance & the car by all means he can do whatever he pleases, For crying out loud its his dream. Let the man follow it and encourage him to do so. I hated when people tried to wreck my dreams and leave me hopeless and I hate to see this happen to a fine young gentleman who is about to serve our country while you bash him behind your computer screens.

In 5 years buy whichever ///M5 you want and enjoy it. If you decide to track it, find a good organization and go out track with them, like (speed ventures) for example & become a board member @ M5board.com and again in 5 years you might be making even more money or be in a better financial state, don't think about all these negative comments of how "a M5 is out of your driving ability, or you can't afford that or this."

As an actual M5 owner I am going to say to follow your passion and dream sir.

In 5 years or less I expect to see you and your M5 @ the Rose bowl for BIMMERFEST! Goodluck to you and Thank You for serving the United States of America.

I will agree about finance and getting yourself in debt (don't get yourself in debt), everything comes in time, just pursue that dream, and one day you will have the beast in your garage.

ALSO BMW DOES OFFER SOME DAMN GOOD MILITARY DISCOUNTS, i know 4 of my M5/M6 buddies whom are in the Marine Core or Navy and can afford there M5's with ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartm333 View Post
There's nothing wrong with planning for the future, as a responsible individual should.

I bought my e39 540i 6-speed when I was 20yrs old. I was in the market for a possible m5, as a few came up in my price range. I agree with the earlier posts that you should scale down from the M series. You may not experience the car in full if you are constantly scraping by to keep it maintained as the M series engines require much more attention. Also, I am using my experience with my 540 to prepare me for when I finally go buy that m5.
If your buying your BMW "new" don't worry about the maintenance, its free for 50,000 miles. If you find a used M5 under 45,000 miles you still have that free maintenance from BMW. Service on the ///M engines especially today's M engines is pretty straight forward, BMW's labor costs are horrible if something breaks outside warranty the part can be $500.00 but the labor will be $1900.00, save up for a extended service plan. You will get your moneys worth and if not its a nice stress reliever.

Stay Positive, be safe, dream big, & make those dreams a reality Ty1gonz27! GOODLUCK!

Last edited by KhyberM5; 11-21-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: '10 M5
Blimey, this post went south fast!

The E60 will undoubtedly be cheaper in the near term (i.e. next 5 years), but it may be hard to find a good condition lowish mileage example. I just bought a 2010 with 6K miles on it (yesterday in fact), why not ping me in 5 years