Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 04-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 325i
Bluetooth phonebook question

I've got the bluetooth kit installed in my car, and it is working very well with my Sony-Ericsson T616, but there's one strange thing I can't figure out. I would like to have my most frequently called phone numbers at the top of my list. This way I could dial them with just one or two clicks of the steering wheel controls.

My phone keeps the names in alphabetical order by first name, and this order is transferred, for the most part, to the car when they synch up. So I add a name like AAA Home AAA to the phone, and it appears at the top of the phone list, but not at the top of the car's phonebook! This is weird. Has anyone figured this out?
Ads by Google
Old 04-08-2004, 06:41 PM
Happy Trails!

Mein Auto: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by whk
My phone keeps the names in alphabetical order by first name, and this order is transferred, for the most part, to the car when they synch up. So I add a name like AAA Home AAA to the phone, and it appears at the top of the phone list, but not at the top of the car's phonebook! This is weird. Has anyone figured this out?
I wish I could put the BT kit in my car you lucky dog! (I have Assist in my car )

"AAA Home" was completely new entry, not just a name change? I worked on some on other BT sync products before. There are some sync solutions that would not change it because the phone number was the same. If there is a way to remove the whole phonebook from the car then resync the phone I would try that, even if you have to delete and do a BT re-pairing.

04 BMW 330xi 6spd w/Premium,Sport,Winter & Xenon (Sold, sniff)
02 BMW K1200RS moto
06 Pontiac GTO 6MT

RIP '99 BMW 528iT
Old 04-09-2004, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 328/formula350/mb3204mat
bt sept

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojira-san
I wish I could put the BT kit in my car you lucky dog! (I have Assist in my car )

"AAA Home" was completely new entry, not just a name change? I worked on some on other BT sync products before. There are some sync solutions that would not change it because the phone number was the same. If there is a way to remove the whole phonebook from the car then resync the phone I would try that, even if you have to delete and do a BT re-pairing.

Hey perhaps well get luckey if the ruhmors are true about a sept bt option for us w/assist
330xi 04 blk(j) blk lther, coldwp/sport/premium pkg's, DNAV,HK,R elec sunshad, xenon, plushmats,cd chger,StepT, Runflts w/alert,sirus sat . 328is 98,525xi-2007-Idrive/nav, headsup and 20waaayout seats,2000 328i wagon.X5D, blk/blk. 2014 535xi
Old 04-09-2004, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi
Quote:
Ditch Assist and install Bluetooth My current contract expires in June, so I will be buying a bluetooth phone and install the bluetooth module myself or have the dealer do it (havn't decided yet ).
Old 04-09-2004, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzy
Ditch Assist and install Bluetooth My current contract expires in June, so I will be buying a bluetooth phone and install the bluetooth module myself or have the dealer do it (havn't decided yet ).

I've heard people complaining that dealers won't remove the Assist in order to install Bluetooth. Some dealers are even refusing to sell the BT Kit if they know you have Assist. So either way you will be installing it yourself.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Happy Trails!

Quote:
Yeah I now have a 2 year contract (they up'ed it because they did not deliver the Assist module when the car was delivered) If they don't deliver a BT/Assist module I may just do that.

02 BMW K1200RS moto
06 Pontiac GTO 6MT

RIP '99 BMW 528iT
Old 04-13-2004, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: '03 325i
Quote:
Your comment got me looking in the right direction. The synchronization algorithm must be checking to see which phone numbers need to be synched, and then transferring over the corresponding name. I had two names with the same number, and it was only transferring over one of them. It works now - thanks.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: '03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by whk
I've got the bluetooth kit installed in my car, and it is working very well with my Sony-Ericsson T616, but there's one strange thing I can't figure out. I would like to have my most frequently called phone numbers at the top of my list. This way I could dial them with just one or two clicks of the steering wheel controls.

I also have BT and T616, and having possibly same problem -- can't get the phone's list to update the car's list.

However, there is a workaround that does work, if a bit radical, another poster mentioned it: Delete the pairings and re-pair the phone and car. This will also kill the car's phonebook and it will re-load from phone. I have done this and it does work.

I too wish that the car's list was sorted by last use, rather than alphabetic by first name. Takes a while to scroll thru them names.

rpeeples
Old 04-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Happy Trails!

Glad that my info helped you out - nice to know that old sync knowledge is still useful!

--pete

02 BMW K1200RS moto
06 Pontiac GTO 6MT

RIP '99 BMW 528iT
Old 04-16-2004, 08:33 AM
Chewbaca is a pimp!

Send a message via MSN to Jim Seattle
Mein Auto: 2000 323Ci
Hey guys, I have a T616, 2000 Ci...what do I need (or can I) to hook it up to my car? I've always thought you had to buy the motorola? As well, I'm about to purchase BT...and this would be icing on the cake if I could get this to work.

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2004, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: 328/formula350/mb3204mat
bt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Seattle
Hey guys, I have a T616, 2000 Ci...what do I need (or can I) to hook it up to my car? I've always thought you had to buy the motorola? As well, I'm about to purchase BT...and this would be icing on the cake if I could get this to work.

Thanks!
a good start would be to read this tread and use the search feature to find more bt info here.. in particular the bmw web site link for list of aproved phones.

not sure what you ment by about to purchase bt,, did u mean bmw? if so it will come with a book of instructions.

that plus all the info you can search for here should give you a warm fuzzy

best of luck w/ur car and bt phone ' there way cool
330xi 04 blk(j) blk lther, coldwp/sport/premium pkg's, DNAV,HK,R elec sunshad, xenon, plushmats,cd chger,StepT, Runflts w/alert,sirus sat . 328is 98,525xi-2007-Idrive/nav, headsup and 20waaayout seats,2000 328i wagon.X5D, blk/blk. 2014 535xi
Old 04-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Happy Trails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Seattle
Hey guys, I have a T616, 2000 Ci...what do I need (or can I) to hook it up to my car?
There's probably other info here on the board but the quick answer is I think the BMW kit only works on 3/02 and later builds of the E46.

You could use one of the other BT kits and wire that into your car, such as the Sony Ericsson HCB-30 or the new HCB-300 (which allows multiple phones to connect easily to the interface), the Parrot DriveBlue or the Nokia car kit. I don't have any experience in installing these particular kits, although I have been thinking of installing the HCB-30 in the truck.

02 BMW K1200RS moto
06 Pontiac GTO 6MT

RIP '99 BMW 528iT
Old 04-16-2004, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeeples
I also have BT and T616, and having possibly same problem -- can't get the phone's list to update the car's list.

However, there is a workaround that does work, if a bit radical, another poster mentioned it: Delete the pairings and re-pair the phone and car. This will also kill the car's phonebook and it will re-load from phone. I have done this and it does work.

I too wish that the car's list was sorted by last use, rather than alphabetic by first name. Takes a while to scroll thru them names.

rpeeples
If you get tired of seeing the numbers listed by first name, there is a fix, assuming you're synching with Outlook on your PC too. It takes a bit to do, but once you do it, you're all set. You change the mappings in the SE software on your PC so that first name = last name and last name=first name. Then you set the phone to display contacts by first name. You end up with both the phone and the ULF listing numbers by last name.

Might be an easier way, but I couldn't find it with the T616.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfeiner
I've heard people complaining that dealers won't remove the Assist in order to install Bluetooth. Some dealers are even refusing to sell the BT Kit if they know you have Assist. So either way you will be installing it yourself.
Dealer has already stated that they have done this for a couple of other people. They just ephasized repeatedly that I would no longer have assist.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: '03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF
If you get tired of seeing the numbers listed by first name, there is a fix, assuming you're synching with Outlook on your PC too. It takes a bit to do, but once you do it, you're all set. You change the mappings in the SE software on your PC so that first name = last name and last name=first name. Then you set the phone to display contacts by first name. You end up with both the phone and the ULF listing numbers by last name.

Might be an easier way, but I couldn't find it with the T616.
Hey, this works! Thanks for spelling it out for me, it is a little convoluted, but it does the trick.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Dealer has already stated that they have done this for a couple of other people. They just ephasized repeatedly that I would no longer have assist.
but why not remove the assist now so you can go to BT, then, if they figure out how to make them both work together you could go back?