Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 520d (new 2010 model)
2010 520d New Model Problems

I have a 520d new model purchased in Aug 2010. It has been taken in under warranty 3 times to 3 different BMW main dealers and returned to me. Problems are still arising and it has been with BMW again since June. Issues are the Locking System wont open , cruise system faulty, in car heating over heating, engine stalling , engine vibrating and shuddering, engine stopping and difficult to restart. No errors are showing for any of these problems on the cars display, 2 Ecu-main components have been replaced to date. BMW are unwilling to discuss my lack of faith in their car which has only travelled 8,000 miles. Has anyone any suggestions how I get them to meet me face to face as I am deeply unhappy and worried about the cars safety systems in an emergency. I should also point out I am a disabeled driver and this is my fifth BMW and I never had a problem before.

Last edited by trimmer; 08-16-2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: wrong forum
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
hmmmm.... this is 1 series forum !!!!!

5 >> 1
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 08-16-2011, 06:12 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimmer View Post
I have a 520d new model purchased in Aug 2010. It has been taken in under warranty 3 times to 3 different BMW main dealers and returned to me. Problems are still arising and it has been with BMW again since June. Issues are the Locking System wont open , cruise system faulty, in car heating over heating, engine stalling , engine vibrating and shuddering, engine stopping and difficult to restart. No errors are showing for any of these problems on the cars display, 2 Ecu-main components have been replaced to date. BMW are unwilling to discuss my lack of faith in their car which has only travelled 8,000 miles. Has anyone any suggestions how I get them to meet me face to face as I am deeply unhappy and worried about the cars safety systems in an emergency. I should also point out I am a disabeled driver and this is my fifth BMW and I never had a problem before.
Nope.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimmer View Post
Have they tried running diagnostics on the can-bus module communication system? With so many varied electrical problems it could be a damaged or faulty bus. Have they also tested the battery and looked for electrical spikes from the alternator?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 520d (new 2010 model)
Exclamation Faulty (new 520d 2010 model)

Dear JSC
Thank you for your reply, I'm at my wit's end. I need my car as I live in a rural area and the bus service isn't great and being disabled I cannot stand for long and cannot walk very far - BMW have refused to meet or even discuss the faults, extending the car's warrenty or the loss my car's resale value when I change it.

I forgot to mention in my 'thread' but when my car was just a week old, I had to attend an important meeting and put highly confidential documents (night before) in the car's boot, I then discovered next morning I could not unlock my car using the remote. I phoned the main dealer (who supplied car) who advised using the manual key. I managed to open my car and was nervous driving (about 30 miles) to the meeting. When I got there, tried to get my documents I found car's boot cannot be manually opened when the door's locking is faulty. I even tried using the remote switch located on the driver's door frame - still no joy. Felt like a fool - could not explain to colleagues (admiring new BMW) my brief case and contents are locked in the boot and cannot be retrieved no matter how I tried. This is a serious design fault - say it was doctors kit/pain/drugs going to accident - life or death situation - this needs urgent redesign - like yesterday?

I have asked for all reports and from all garages my car has been taken to for repairs. I am still awaiting these reports. I cannot say whether the CAN system has be checked out fully. I was told the latest repair (under warrenty) required a ECU/Junction Box and repairs including the replacement part cost about 1,700. The previous repairs lasted 3 weeks and a Power Module was fitted. The locking system seemed time related. OK the evening before but next morning car doors will not unlock uning remote. I tried changing the onboard clock time, tried changing the date, still no joy. Even offered/suggested BMW return car to factory and look for software/design fault - offer refused. Seems to me, Dealers are looking for faulty components without first checking for the 'cause of the fault' which you rightly suggested may be the CAN system!
Thank you so much for your reply, it meant a lot to me. Please keep in touch/I will keep you updated - seems BMW want's to bury these faults etc in their new model 520d - I feel let down as this is my 5th BMW and especially hurt by the appalling response from BMW.
JSC, I thank you again and kind regards 'trimmer'. Reply sent to JSC on 18 August 2011 @6:45am local time

Last edited by trimmer; 08-17-2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Errors in my reply!