Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 328IS, Black Beauty
Pissed, Pissed, and more pissed

Okay, last night we got a huge downpour. And now not only do my headlights completely fog up but now my foglights have filled with water

I guess, I learned my lesson from ordering DDM products. Never, ever again. Way too much of a headache.

I tried emailing them and of course no response yet. I still have hope they will contact me, but I guess I'm living on mars if I believe that.

Are there any options for me to either get new fogs/headlights through DDM if they ever get back to me or should I make a complaint to my bank??
Ads by Google
Old 08-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
A couple of things:

- Absolutely send the headlights back. Take photos of everything first.

- I find the water in the fog lights to be odd, since my DDM fog lights never fogged or allowed water in, neither did my eBay fog lights. Did you make sure the rubber gaskets were installed in the rear caps?

- When I had problems with DDM not keeping me informed of the shipment status of an order (I waited a month before cancelling), I had to open a "service ticket" with them through their website. Emailing in a traditional sense does not work, but I had decent success getting a hold of them via their ticket system.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 08-16-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:57 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
sorry to hear. perhaps you could do a custom golfish mod?? a mobile aquarium of sorts...or perhaps a beta in each headlight?? (tryin to make a positive here, work with me...)

in all honesty, i have no idea. you haven't had these lights that long, have you??

df
Old 08-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Fast Cars Suck!

Send a message via AIM to Poorboysracing
Mein Auto: '13 FIAT 500 '68 BMW 1602
I had a ddm fog fill with water after creating the ticket discribed above they replaced my fogs at no cost to me, i would assume same goes for the headlights.

*The I Drove to Both East and West Coast Bimmerfest Club* Member #1
@PoorBoysRacing on twitter & instagram
Old 08-16-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
A couple of things:

- Absolutely send the headlights back. Take photos of everything first.

- I find the water in the fog lights to be odd, since my DDM fog lights never fogged or allowed water in, neither did my eBay fog lights. Did you make sure the rubber gaskets were installed in the rear caps?

- When I had problems with DDM not keeping me informed of the shipment status of an order (I waited a month before cancelling), I had to open a "service ticket" with them through their website. Emailing in a traditional sense does not work, but I had decent success getting a hold of them via their ticket system.
Thanks for the advice.

I am just extremely frustrated.

Yup, the rubber gaskets are on each foglight. I couldn't believe how much water filled in there. Unbelievable.

Do you think I should take everything apart and try to reseal. Or send it back to DDM if I get a hold of them?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Fast Cars Suck!

Send a message via AIM to Poorboysracing
Mein Auto: '13 FIAT 500 '68 BMW 1602
dont take them apart!

then they wont help you at all, they will say you had them apart before and thats why they leaked.

just do the ticket and go from there, if they dick you around then go for it and try to fix em.

*The I Drove to Both East and West Coast Bimmerfest Club* Member #1
@PoorBoysRacing on twitter & instagram
Old 08-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Yeah, don't mess with them yourself. Send them back as-is.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 08-16-2011, 06:05 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Yeah, don't mess with them yourself. Send them back as-is.
....in a Ziplock bag with the water still in 'em!

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 08-16-2011, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
sorry to hear. perhaps you could do a custom golfish mod?? a mobile aquarium of sorts...or perhaps a beta in each headlight?? (tryin to make a positive here, work with me...
okay that was some funny sht
Old 08-16-2011, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Are they bad at back ordering fog lights? I've been waiting about two weeks now.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer
Old 08-16-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorboysracing View Post
dont take them apart!

then they wont help you at all, they will say you had them apart before and thats why they leaked.

just do the ticket and go from there, if they dick you around then go for it and try to fix em.
Did you send your foglights back first? And then did they send you new ones?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM

Everytime I try to click on submit on ticket via DDM's site it gives me a fatal error message.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 323is
Slick

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App
Old 08-17-2011, 06:12 AM
Sometimes Out To Lunch!!!

Mein Auto: 1993 318i 1994 325i 1998
Tell them that you will contact the better business bureau, and if that doesn't work let them know that the next communication they get from you will be from your attorney letting them know you are filling a lawsuit against them. I know this is harsh but you gotta do what you gotta do. Most of the time these threats work very well.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:17 AM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Mein Auto: e30, e36, e70
I got fog lights, headlights and bumper from ddm....my fogs were fine, but my headlights get very very cloudy but could not send them back bc one of the damn ears broke of the lights (cheap cough cough) i even heated them up before install like was said and was very careful...therefore I had to take apart my old lights and install lens onto the new ddm lights so the angel eyes and hid's were not wasted, but the lenses are peeling thats why I tinted them and are so dark....the bumper was my only positive experience with products from ddm
"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (95 m3 swap).Vaders..Bavauto short shifter..dinan cat back..sways..3.23lsd..tms chip..staggered dsII's...BCracing coilovers..F&R strut tower bar...M3 brakes..x-brace..AFE CAI
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
Old 08-17-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Fly View Post
Tell them that you will contact the better business bureau, and if that doesn't work let them know that the next communication they get from you will be from your attorney letting them know you are filling a lawsuit against them. I know this is harsh but you gotta do what you gotta do. Most of the time these threats work very well.
That was exactly my next move but who knows if they even check their email.

I'm trying to a "submit ticket" request but I can't get through.

Do they answer their phones ever?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Mein Auto: e30, e36, e70
hard to get to someone on the phone as well....hate to say but there customer service "from my experience" is not very good or professional.
"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (95 m3 swap).Vaders..Bavauto short shifter..dinan cat back..sways..3.23lsd..tms chip..staggered dsII's...BCracing coilovers..F&R strut tower bar...M3 brakes..x-brace..AFE CAI
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
Old 08-24-2011, 03:08 PM

Quick update and two quick questions.

I think I found the reasoning behind my foglights filling up with water.

So I know this is going to be really unusual but I would like to make an apology to DDM. I believe my foglights filled up with water due to my own error. But please correct me if I am wrong.

You know how the DDM fogs come with the two rubber thingies attached to each end of the fog well all of mine were turned up instead of down.

Once I took those rubber thingies off all of the water drained right out.

Now my question to you. Are those rubber thingies just for shipping purposes or are we supposed to take them off.

And my other question. Now that I have drained the water from both fogs do you think the condensation will clear up if I keep the car facing westward in the sun?

Or should I just invest in another pair but make sure I install them correctly this time around?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Comrade Vlad

Mein Auto: 99 M3 Conv MT, 06 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidifleiss View Post
I guess, I learned my lesson from ordering DDM products. Never, ever again. Way too much of a headache.

I tried emailing them and of course no response yet. I still have hope they will contact me, but I guess I'm living on mars if I believe that.
Quote:
Everytime I try to click on submit on ticket via DDM's site it gives me a fatal error message.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
I was just looking at their website for couple of days, deciding if I should place an order for some headlights with angel eyes. The feeling I got was that place was sketchy for several reasons, so I did not place an order... Their prices looked real good... Now I know why.

I really glad I came across this topic, too bad you had this experience though. Good luck in resolving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
....in a Ziplock bag with the water still in 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Fly View Post
From my personal experience - it might work, or it might not work. Companies that are not BBB accredited (don't have BBB seal on their website) might not care about BBB complaint.

If website has accreditation (read, pays to BBB) BBB will most likely with the website if it made "reasonable attempts to resolve the complaint, but customer remained unsatisfied". Plus, BBB cannot really force anyone to do anything.

As for attorney, it would be really nice to have an attorney friend, who could really file a lawsuit. Otherwise, it's better just to suck it up, or it will end up costing thou$ands. And for small things like this, it just not worth it. So, all these companies know that too, and don't really care if you try to threaten them with lawsuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1MM3R View Post
I got fog lights, headlights and bumper from ddm....my fogs were fine, but my headlights get very very cloudy but could not send them back bc one of the damn ears broke of the lights (cheap cough cough) i even heated them up before install like was said and was very careful...therefore I had to take apart my old lights and install lens onto the new ddm lights so the angel eyes and hid's were not wasted, but the lenses are peeling thats why I tinted them and are so dark....the bumper was my only positive experience with products from ddm
Another great comment about DDM. I really glad I found this topic.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:31 PM

I cancelled my order with them yesterday after waiting for a month, on some e36 fog lights. When they emailed me back about cancelling the order they said they would have them the first week of September, yea I believe that.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:34 PM
hookersandblow

Send a message via AIM to Moeman10
Mein Auto: 1992 325is
I've only experienced horrible customer service. I've had no complaints with the quality of products, because DDM isn't the only one that sells the same things... Come on. It's not DDM's fault for some defective DEPO's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:40 PM

I absolutely love Pelican parts. Everything is so organized and easy to find. Since I have been a repeat customer they've been emailing me rebates future orders. Great service.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:02 PM

Love pelican as well.

But does anyone know about those rubber thingies on the back of DDM's foglights? Do I take them off when installing or do I keep them on but just have them face downwards so water does not accumulate in the light?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:22 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
Quote:
Love pelican as well.

But does anyone know about those rubber thingies on the back of DDM's foglights? Do I take them off when installing or do I keep them on but just have them face downwards so water does not accumulate in the light?

they should be for moisture venting, not shipping. they may have been turned 'up' for shipping, although i do not know why, since they should have been packed with enough bumper material to make that insignificant.

if you are not getting resolution, i would suggest turning the drain elbows down and see how that works for you.

df
Old 08-24-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
they should be for moisture venting, not shipping. they may have been turned 'up' for shipping, although i do not know why, since they should have been packed with enough bumper material to make that insignificant.

if you are not getting resolution, i would suggest turning the drain elbows down and see how that works for you.

df
I think you are absolutely correct.

Because when I took the drain elbow off the foglight that had the drain elbow turned up it was filled with water and that is where the water poured out from. But I still have the condensation from the water being in there for a while. Do you think this will disappear eventually from the sun?

However, my passenger foglight which had the drain elbow turned down had not a drop of water.

I just didn't know if those rubber drains needed to stay on or not.

But I think you for clarifying my situation.

Do you think I should order new fogs? Or wait and see if the one will clear up on its own now that I drained it and turned the drain elbow downward?