Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i 1993
Plastic Jacking Points and Jack Stands

I have a question regarding the four plastic fittings that the BMW jack fits into and using them with jack stands. I bought 3.5 ton craftsman jack stands at Sears and they seem to fit just about right, hugging the outside of the rectangular plastic piece. The thing is, I'm not sure these pieces are designed to bear a load in that way (the BMW jack puts forces on the inside of these pieces.

Is it normal to leave these on when using jack stands?

*** SOLD *** (pics of my E34 to be posted soon)
1999 540i 6-speed
Dinan CAI/Stage II Software
Xenon Headlights
M-Technik Rear Bumper
CDV Delete
Clear Front/Side Blinkers
Ads by Google
Old 03-26-2004, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Montego Blau E91 6spd
Just look couple of posts down http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56144

That is how most E39 DIY guys do it.

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
Author Unknown

Old 03-26-2004, 03:19 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to DZeckhausen
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW F30 328i 8-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettInLJ
I have a question regarding the four plastic fittings that the BMW jack fits into and using them with jack stands. I bought 3.5 ton craftsman jack stands at Sears and they seem to fit just about right, hugging the outside of the rectangular plastic piece. The thing is, I'm not sure these pieces are designed to bear a load in that way (the BMW jack puts forces on the inside of these pieces.

Yes. These plastic blocks are where you should place jackstands. That's what they are designed for.

------
2012 BMW F30 328i Luxury Line 8-Speed
StopTech 4-wheel big brake upgrade

2001 BMW E39 540i 6-Speed (Traded-in for F30)
M5 Limited Slip Differential, Front Swaybar
Dinan Stage 3 Suspension, Strut Tower Brace
Rogue Short Shifter, Transmission Mounts
European Dash Conversion
CDV deleted
Old 03-26-2004, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 525i 1993
Thanks Dave! I wasn't sure becaue it doesn't seem very stable since the jack stand fits on the OUTSIDE of those plastic pieces... nothing really keeps the car from sliding sideways of the stands except gravity and friction.

*** SOLD *** (pics of my E34 to be posted soon)
1999 540i 6-speed
Dinan CAI/Stage II Software
Xenon Headlights
M-Technik Rear Bumper
CDV Delete
Clear Front/Side Blinkers
Old 03-26-2004, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 00 540ia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZeckhausen
Yes. These plastic blocks are where you should place jackstands. That's what they are designed for.

Dave my car is missing those jackstands, what's the part#.
Another thing is it the same part for all 4 corners.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:42 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettInLJ
Thanks Dave! I wasn't sure becaue it doesn't seem very stable since the jack stand fits on the OUTSIDE of those plastic pieces... nothing really keeps the car from sliding sideways of the stands except gravity and friction.
It's probably ideal to go on the inside of the block, but my stands fit the blocks the same way and it's never been a problem with anyone in our TechSession group.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: 01 530
Jack Blocks

Hi,
Does anyone have a better way to fit a jack into these blocks? How do you jack up the car and then stick a jack stand in the same spot? There has to be a better way to do this?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:08 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five4o View Post
Dave my car is missing those jackstands, what's the part#.
Another thing is it the same part for all 4 corners.

Thanks in advance.
I guess I missed this question back when it was asked. Sorry!

The parts are the same at all four corners. The BMW part number is 51-71-8-268-885 and you can expect to pay between $3 and $5 each.

------

European Dash Conversion
CDV deleted
Old 03-22-2007, 11:56 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcolangelo View Post
Hi,
Does anyone have a better way to fit a jack into these blocks? How do you jack up the car and then stick a jack stand in the same spot? There has to be a better way to do this?
When I work on my car, I usually only jack up one corner at a time. For example, when installing a big brake kit or new brake lines, I jack up one corner, install and bleed that corner, then put everything back together and move to another corner. If I have to jack up the entire front end of the car, say for a CDV delete, then I use one floor jack to lift the car at the left (or right) front jacking pad, just enough so I can slip a second floor jack under the car from the front. There's a cross-member that runs just behind the engine. On your 530i, it has a rubber block in the center, where you can easily place a floor jack. On the V8 models, it's a little tougher, since the rubber block is missing and you have to be careful not to damage the flimsy sheet metal support for the belly pan that runs diagonally right next to the jack point.

The plastic jacking blocks are designed to support either the factory jack (inside the hollow in the middle) or a metal jackstand. It compresses slightly and has a high friction level, so it's not likely to slip off the jackstands, even if slightly off center. Even so, when I'm crawling under the car, I make sure to support it by two jackstands (one on each side) and I also leave the floor jack in place at the cross-member, lowering the car just enough to spread the weight around across all three supports. That way, if one of the three supports fails, it's backup up by two more and I won't be crushed.

For the rear of the car, if I have to lift both wheels off the ground at the same time, I slip a jack under the differential. Then I lower the car down onto jackstands under each plastic jacking block. As with the front, I leave the jack under the differential, if possible, for that added margin of safety. If I'm only jacking one corner, I'll use the floor jack on the plastic jacking blocks.

If you're supporting the car with just a floor jack, keep in mind that the hydraulic seals can fail suddenly and without warning. So keep arms and legs out from under the car!

------

European Dash Conversion
CDV deleted
Old 03-25-2007, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 01 530
Better way to jacking up your car

Has anyone used this method on their BMW?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...55&forum_id=74
Old 07-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
E39 Support Lifting Platform 51-71-7-001-650

For the record, there's a related thread to xref to titled:
*******>********>
bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=267424

Old 07-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Underdog On Top

Mein Auto: Techno M3 / Cosmos 540iT
One thing I always do when DIYing it, is the ol' "push/pull" test. Once the car is up on stands and before I get underneath, I give it a good solid shove/pull in each direction to make sure it is staying put and not coming down on top of me when I start torquing on bolts, etc.

Those rubber blocks deform around the jackstand "hands" forming a nice solid connection. No slipping/sliding goin on there.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to Neils528iM5
Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 530i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZeckhausen View Post
When I work on my car, I usually only jack up one corner at a time. For example, when installing a big brake kit or new brake lines, I jack up one corner, install and bleed that corner, then put everything back together and move to another corner. If I have to jack up the entire front end of the car, say for a CDV delete, then I use one floor jack to lift the car at the left (or right) front jacking pad, just enough so I can slip a second floor jack under the car from the front. There's a cross-member that runs just behind the engine. On your 530i, it has a rubber block in the center, where you can easily place a floor jack. On the V8 models, it's a little tougher, since the rubber block is missing and you have to be careful not to damage the flimsy sheet metal support for the belly pan that runs diagonally right next to the jack point.

The plastic jacking blocks are designed to support either the factory jack (inside the hollow in the middle) or a metal jackstand. It compresses slightly and has a high friction level, so it's not likely to slip off the jackstands, even if slightly off center. Even so, when I'm crawling under the car, I make sure to support it by two jackstands (one on each side) and I also leave the floor jack in place at the cross-member, lowering the car just enough to spread the weight around across all three supports. That way, if one of the three supports fails, it's backup up by two more and I won't be crushed.

For the rear of the car, if I have to lift both wheels off the ground at the same time, I slip a jack under the differential. Then I lower the car down onto jackstands under each plastic jacking block. As with the front, I leave the jack under the differential, if possible, for that added margin of safety. If I'm only jacking one corner, I'll use the floor jack on the plastic jacking blocks.

If you're supporting the car with just a floor jack, keep in mind that the hydraulic seals can fail suddenly and without warning. So keep arms and legs out from under the car!

+1

Typically to get the rear up, you can jack up on the diff and then lower the car on the jack stands on the side.

For the front you can jack up on the Cross member and then lower the car on the jack stands on the side too.

Sold - 01/05/2010.....
Old 07-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Stimulus Package

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
My jackstands didn't seat well with those things, so I just took them all off.

I follow Dave's suggested methods otherwise. Never trust your life to a single piece of equipment, whether it's a jack, a jackstand, or anything else!
2002 530i | Black/sand | Rondell Style 81s: 18x8.5 Front 18x10 Rear | Koni FSD | Eibach Pro-Kit | Zimmerman X-Drilled Rotors | Axxis Deluxe+ Brake Pads | StopTech SS Brake Lines | 50w 6000k Xenon Lows/LED Fogs/Phillips Luxeon LED DRLs | Angel i Brights v3.0 | Solaris Invisibulbs | Shadowline Trim | ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler | 35% Madico Tint | Dynavin D99+ ///M3Evolution | Backup camera | Intake Muffler, Front Plate, Badge & Cup/Coinholder Delete | Klasse AIO+SG
Old 07-08-2008, 01:59 PM

I don't think the BMW emergency jack is safe without the jack pads in place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis530i View Post
My jackstands didn't seat well with those things, so I just took them all off. ... Never trust your life to a single piece of equipment
You what!? That BMW jack-of-death only works with the jack pads in place.

There's no way it's anywhere near safe in an emergency ... rain pouring ... cars splashing mud ... trucks shaking the ground ... that I would trust the BMW jack-from-hell to hold without the jack pads in place!

At least keep a spare BMW jack pad in your trunk if you've removed them all! Please. For your sake. And that of your children.

On the other hand, I certainly agree with you on never trusting a single piece of equipment. Living in Silicon Valley, every time I go under my car, I wonder if an earthquake is gonna hit at that moment. I too, before I go down, shake the bejeezus out of the car ... cuz ... if it's gonna fall ... I want it to fall when I'm shaking it and not when a truck rumbles by and I'm left shaking under it.

Here's pics of my car, under test ... notice the nice folding wheel chocks that came with the car in place on both sides of the wheels, the floor jack, the jack stands, and the wheel ramps all in place ... just like you!

Donna

Old 07-08-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettInLJ View Post
Is it normal? I've put jack stands with and without the jack pads on the E39. Seems to work both ways. But I agree with you. Most other people put rags or wood blocks on top of the jack stand.

I can't see how a rag would protect anything but a wooden block might even out the forces. Still, you are correct, it would seem, that the designed forces are from the inside out which a jack stand doesn't simulate well.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Underdog On Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post

This is incorrect stand placement.

The stand should be rotated 90 degrees so the stand "hand" and the pad form and "X", with the pad sitting in the "V" of the stand hand. The pad will then deform around the stand hand a bit, forming a nice solid no-slip contact.

Last edited by Mad Dog 20/20; 07-08-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:30 PM

How to place the jack stand on the jack pads

Quote:
The stand should be rotated 90 degrees so the stand "hand" and the pad form and "X", with the pad sitting in the "V" of the stand hand.
Seems reasonable. I don't remember why I did it the way I did; it didn't seem to fit right the other way ... but I will try next time I jack up the Bimmer.

You can see why, given the V shape of my jack stand hand, that I'm loathe to use a wooden block, balancing it precariously as such. I don't know how anyone else uses a wooden block ... unless their jack stands have a different hand than mine.

Donna
Old 07-08-2008, 03:32 PM
it's NOT old man gray...

Mein Auto: 528it, 5M, born 7/2000
I made little hardwood blocks which fit inside the plastic jack pad. The blocks are just a bit thicker than the depth of the well in the pad. Car is supported by wood, wood is supported by jack stand. Very secure.

My bro actually proved that using a floor jack on just the jack pad, will crack the pad. Not meant to be used that way.

Wife's: 325iT/5M; Premium, Cold Weather,
Stereo that doesn't suck, Xenons, Sport Package, ZHP shift knob, PDC, DSC still working.

'88 R100GS - and yeah, it's been offroad

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 07-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Underdog On Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatstone View Post

My bro actually proved that using a floor jack on just the jack pad, will crack the pad. Not meant to be used that way.
How did he prove this?

When the car is placed on a professional lift, the same pads are used to support the car when hoisted.

I have used a floor jack many a time on the pads, without issue.

They are made of plastic with a finite life span. I'm sure they all crack and die someday . . . does not mean they were not inteded as a jack point.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:22 PM
it's NOT old man gray...

Mein Auto: 528it, 5M, born 7/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog 20/20 View Post
How did he prove this?
OK, I should have been more clear. How do we know he cracked it? he lifted the corner, and heard a crack. Later, lowered the car, and we observed a crack.

Exact circumstance? I think he just used his floor jack, with a circular lifting thing, on the plastic pad. Had there been a rubber pad in between, like at a shop, I expect that there wouldn't have been any issue. I think good floor jacks also have those rubber pads?

Anyhow, my main point is just that using jack stands with that T-shaped top, on the plastic jack pads, is an iffy situation. The wood block idea is free, easy,... a no-brainer.

Wife's: 325iT/5M; Premium, Cold Weather,
Stereo that doesn't suck, Xenons, Sport Package, ZHP shift knob, PDC, DSC still working.

'88 R100GS - and yeah, it's been offroad

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 07-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Stimulus Package

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
You what!? That BMW jack-of-death only works with the jack pads in place.

There's no way it's anywhere near safe in an emergency ... rain pouring ... cars splashing mud ... trucks shaking the ground ... that I would trust the BMW jack-from-hell to hold without the jack pads in place!

At least keep a spare BMW jack pad in your trunk if you've removed them all! Please. For your sake. And that of your children.
I do better than that. I keep a spare floor jack in there. I've owned BMWs long enough not to trust the OEM jack.
2002 530i | Black/sand | Rondell Style 81s: 18x8.5 Front 18x10 Rear | Koni FSD | Eibach Pro-Kit | Zimmerman X-Drilled Rotors | Axxis Deluxe+ Brake Pads | StopTech SS Brake Lines | 50w 6000k Xenon Lows/LED Fogs/Phillips Luxeon LED DRLs | Angel i Brights v3.0 | Solaris Invisibulbs | Shadowline Trim | ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler | 35% Madico Tint | Dynavin D99+ ///M3Evolution | Backup camera | Intake Muffler, Front Plate, Badge & Cup/Coinholder Delete | Klasse AIO+SG
Old 07-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Underdog On Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatstone View Post
OK, I should have been more clear. How do we know he cracked it? he lifted the corner, and heard a crack. Later, lowered the car, and we observed a crack.

Exact circumstance? I think he just used his floor jack, with a circular lifting thing, on the plastic pad. Had there been a rubber pad in between, like at a shop, I expect that there wouldn't have been any issue. I think good floor jacks also have those rubber pads?

Anyhow, my main point is just that using jack stands with that T-shaped top, on the plastic jack pads, is an iffy situation. The wood block idea is free, easy,... a no-brainer.
Oh. Well, I guess I can say that I have proven the plastic pads were meant to be used w/ a floor jack and jack stands, since I have never had an issue.

Yeah, ANY jack should be used w/ a jack pad of some sort, or its likely to mar/dent surfaces and/or break stuff. A hockey puck stuck to the jack w/ double-sided tape has worked well for me over the years.

The wood block idea seems like overkill to me. Its a big enough PITA getting a car on stands as it is, without having to worry about the placement of 4 little blocks of wood created to protect $2 disposable jack pads that I've never managed to damage w/ a jack or stand anyway . . .

But to each there own.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog 20/20 View Post
The wood block idea seems like overkill to me. Its a big enough PITA getting a car on stands as it is, without having to worry about the placement of 4 little blocks of wood created to protect $2 disposable jack pads.....

$21.75 EACH at my dealer
Old 07-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Underdog On Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by la528it View Post
$21.75 EACH at my dealer

I meant to say $12.

But $22 is criminal.