Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:39 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Leaking Panoramic Roof

I have a leak starting with the panoramic sunroof that is going in the passenger side rear boot area into the deep recess area on the side and where the smaller tools are kept. It appears i have a blocked drain.

OK, i have checked several threads on this through search but really im looking for photos of the drain locations, i see many people mention it but i cant find any photos of the drains where they exit the vehicle

I can see the drain pipe in the recess area but cant seem to see where it starts or finishes in the roof or the bodywork.

Last edited by maxeaus; 07-07-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2012, 01:49 AM

Mein Auto: x3
OK, so im probably going to grow old trying to find any photos to help me so i have done it myself including some photos.

First you will need a torch and an air pump, one that you use to pump up your tyres is the best.

Second you need to raise the sunroof up but not open it, as you cant get into the recess area to unblock the drains with the roof open, you need to raise it so you can get your head and torch into the gap.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By maxeaus at 2012-07-08

You can now see the plastic thing at the end of the track, that's the drain, that's what you need to target and get the air nozzle into it and blow, you can also aim the air nozzle back towards yourself once its in there and blow some of the leaves back towards the cabin saving yourself the effort to wriggle your hand in there.

By maxeaus at 2012-07-08

Note, you will most likely need to get your wife or girlfriend to get their hand in the recess to get any remaining gunk out because a blokes arm is too big, also its a crap job anyway and any excuse not to do it is worth a try, use gloves if you want.

By maxeaus at 2012-07-08

I suggest you also do both sides even if only one is blocked because chances are if one has leaves, twigs and nuts blocking the drain then the other one isn't far off being blocked either, in fact my other one had more leaves in it than the blocked one and its a miracle it wasn't blocked up as well IMHO.

When you've finished blowing the air around and cleaning out the crap have a look at the rear of the car and see if you can see drip marks either side of the rear end which is the water coming out of the drains meaning you have been successful.

Now you have finished buy yourself a beer as you've just saved yourself several hundred dollars if not thousands that would have most likely gone towards sending your local BMW dealers kids to a private school!

Last edited by maxeaus; 07-08-2012 at 05:39 AM.