Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-17-2011, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 e36 convertible
erratic instrument panel/delay starting car

Hi I have a 94' conv. 325i and I have something going on with the electronics.

I'll be driving down the road and all of a sudden all the accessory lights come on, you know when you start the car all the accessory lights come on then all my instruments go all the way to the right.

Everything on the dash gas, temp, tach, speedometer everything. Then everything goes to zero and then it will come on again and then it starts all over and repeats the same thing again.

And sometimes when I start the car sometimes I'll turn the key all the way to start and sometimes I have a 2 or 3 sec. delay before it starts. And sometimes it wont start. And I will sit there and wait a few min. and it starts.

I don't know what's going on with this car so frustrated. It's summer time and I am afraid to drive my car.

Anyone know what the problem could be?

I'm wondering if my cyclinder lock is causing the delay when I start the car before it turns over.

Or possibly the ignition switch maybe.

please any suggestions is much appreciated

thank you
Ads by Google
Old 08-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Style5 lover

Mein Auto: 320i E36
About the ignition - it also could be the main relay. When turning the key listen for the fuel pump, if it does not work, it is the relay.
And the dash thingy - I know that the dash does this when you hold the reset pin and turn the key to position 1 from 0. Maybe it really is something with the cylinder, or maybe the dash itself.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost9 View Post
About the ignition - it also could be the main relay. When turning the key listen for the fuel pump, if it does not work, it is the relay.
And the dash thingy - I know that the dash does this when you hold the reset pin and turn the key to position 1 from 0. Maybe it really is something with the cylinder, or maybe the dash itself.
Thank you so much for the help much appreciated for sure.

Ok the relay your talking about. Now sometimes when I turn the key it doesn't even crank over at all. It is a total delay of the car even starting to crank over. Could that still be caused by the relay?

I just talked to a guy at BMW near where I live and he said that he didn't think it was the cylinder lock. But Maybe like you say it could be the reset pin in the cylinder.

As far as the relay which relay are you talking about? Are you talking about the fuel pump relay? There are many relays.

And how would I check the ignition switch? Is there anything I can do to see if it's my problem.

I did install a new hi-end stereo in my car and I put 2 different head units in and it seemed like the 2nd HU I put in is when I started having the erratic instruments. Or maybe something just went out after this install. But I have looked at all the connections everything is right and I can't find anything wrong with the install.

Not sure if the accessory wiring from the HU would have anything to do with whats going on?

I need help summer is almost over!!! thanks!!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 323is
k i'm probably an idiot but i think you need a alternator with higher amp since you did the stereo equip
Old 08-21-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchavera View Post
k i'm probably an idiot but i think you need a alternator with higher amp since you did the stereo equip
I am going to have my electrical system checked tomorrow
Old 08-21-2011, 10:48 PM
I feed trolls

Mein Auto: 3 series
Unground the new stereo so it can be ruled out, though I highly doubt thats the issue. The main relay is located by the DME in the DME compartment. Come to think of it, make sure that isnt filled with water. That could be an issue if the cowl is clogged

RIP Ben "Jever" Doebele, we wont forget you

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates, it needs a CUMMINS!!

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Cummins, cab swap, 5 speed, and lots of motor work. 20 MPG, 40 PSI, 507 ft/lbs torque