Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5d
Picked up an X35d!

Read the forum for a while and settled on the X35d. Got a reasonable deal (about $6700) off sticker on a late production 11'. Its pretty loaded with everything but premium sound. Mine actually has tweeters in the front doors......

How the heck do I disable the annoying feature of having to open the door handle twice to open the door to the vehicle? Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2011, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
All BMW's do that. Only thing you can do it to hit the unlock button on the dash before you open the door.

-- Lee
Old 08-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 14 X1 xdrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmantx View Post
Read the forum for a while and settled on the X35d. Got a reasonable deal (about $6700) off sticker on a late production 11'. Its pretty loaded with everything but premium sound. Mine actually has tweeters in the front doors......

How the heck do I disable the annoying feature of having to open the door handle twice to open the door to the vehicle? Thanks in advance!
Congratulations!! You will love it.

There are grates there for the tweeters but there are probably no tweeters inside. Take a close look. If they are in there that is an improvement since my July build.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
Only way to avoid two handle pulls is to not lock the car. Auto locking can be turned off through idrive.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer
Old 08-18-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeX5 View Post
All BMW's do that. Only thing you can do it to hit the unlock button on the dash before you open the door.

-- Lee

My 06 M3 didn't do it......At least I don't remember it doing that.....
Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 M Sport
Quote:

There is feature in the Idrive labryth of screens that allows for unlock on first try or unlock all doors. You can choose either one. I should know, I've done it on mine

Current Ride: 2015 X5 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2014 X3 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2011 X5 Sport
Retired: 2008 X5 3.0si
Retired: 2006 330 Xi
Retired: 2003 325 'Vert
Retired: 2000 323 Ci
Old 08-18-2011, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 M Sport
Quote:
My 06 M3 didn't do it......At least I don't remember it doing that.....
Don't proliferate bad info if you don't know...an 06 M3 doesn't even come close to technology in 2011 and 2012 rides.

Current Ride: 2015 X5 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2014 X3 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2011 X5 Sport
Retired: 2008 X5 3.0si
Retired: 2006 330 Xi
Retired: 2003 325 'Vert
Retired: 2000 323 Ci
Old 08-18-2011, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: '14 M5 CP
Congrats!

'14 M5 CP
Black Sapphire | Black | Executive | Lighting | B&O | Exhaust Meister | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

'13 X5 50i M Sport
Carbon Black | Black | M Perf | 20" 333M | Lux Seat | Active | Adaptive | Cold | Tech | Sound | Prem 2 | Apps
Black kidneys | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

Retired:
'12 550xi, '11 335xis, '11 X5 50i, '08 BMW 535i, '08 BMW 335xic, '05 Audi S4, '02 Audi TT Coupe
Old 08-18-2011, 02:20 PM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
Quote:

you will become conditioned to do it on every car you are in over time! I find myself doing that in other people's non BMW/Mini's and the door is already open by the time I am on the second pull. LOL
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 08-18-2011, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing BMW yet
If you don't mind sharing, what was the MSRP, and did that 6700 off include the 3500 eco credit or was that before it? I've been looking at leftover 2011s recently, haven't been getting quite that good of a price.(if your price is before the discount, that is)

Congrats!

--Mike
Old 08-18-2011, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshotel View Post
There are grates there for the tweeters but there are probably no tweeters inside. Take a close look. If they are in there that is an improvement since my July build.
If this is true, then **** BMW
Old 08-19-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfrank View Post
If you don't mind sharing, what was the MSRP, and did that 6700 off include the 3500 eco credit or was that before it? I've been looking at leftover 2011s recently, haven't been getting quite that good of a price.(if your price is before the discount, that is)

Congrats!

--Mike

Sticker was 65325, 6700 included the eco credit, so really it was 3200 off sticker + eco credit. I don't think the dealer can break even if they discount the car 10% before the credit....Invoice markup is like 8%-9%
Old 08-19-2011, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: Nothing BMW yet
Quote:
Sticker was 65325, 6700 included the eco credit, so really it was 3200 off sticker + eco credit. I don't think the dealer can break even if they discount the car 10% before the credit....Invoice markup is like 8%-9%
Cool, thanks for the info. I assumed that included the eco, but I wanted to make sure. That at least gives me a target to shoot for. ;-)

--Mike
Old 08-19-2011, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: Two E39 Sports + an '11X5
We ordered an '11 X5d last week with an MSRP of $66,300 with a final sales price of $57,800 after all the discounts, credits, etc....so he's got more room to come down for you.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I am amazed when people with access to the internet- and therefore access to INVOICE PRICING- still talk about 'discount off MSRP'
Old 08-20-2011, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I am amazed when people with access to the internet- and therefore access to INVOICE PRICING- still talk about 'discount off MSRP'
I like MSRP better. First off, many people confuse the two, talking about how much they got off invoice, when in fact they mean MSRP. Secondly, MSRP is a harder number. I've known dealers to claim one invoice price, while on line sites give another invoice price (probably the real one). And MSRP truly does change sometimes, particularly with new model years, and some of the on line services don't immediately update.

When the dealer messes around with MSRP at least it's blatantly obvious--the extra dealer sticker packing on paint protection and that sort of crap.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

The only number that matters is the DIFFERENCE between dealer cost and sale price.

To say 'invoice is hard to verify', well duh! And so is finding the hidden dealer incentives, etc..but to evaluate YOUR deal, or any specific deal, you simply must know these details.

I've heard people bragging about getting "$4500 off MSRP" and they didn't realize there was a $4500 eco credit. So they paid list.

When I walk into a dealership, i really do not need any numbers from them- sticker, blue sky, "invoice" (do people really rely on a dealer to tell them invoice?)... "Here is what the car should cost you; here is what I'll pay". Actually I do it over the phone.

I guess my point is simple: If you know what you paid, and you can look up the invoice for the car and every option, and you can find any dealer incentive, why do people post "hows my deal?"... It seems as silly as saying 'my lease is $678 a month, is that a good deal?"

On the other hand, asking "On a diesel, what is a reasonable profit for the dealer?" This is a simple answer and is independent of options, etc, etc. Generally there are two numbers for the X5- one for gas, one for diesel.

A
Old 08-21-2011, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
The only number that matters is the DIFFERENCE between dealer cost and sale price.

To say 'invoice is hard to verify', well duh! And so is finding the hidden dealer incentives, etc..but to evaluate YOUR deal, or any specific deal, you simply must know these details.

I've heard people bragging about getting "$4500 off MSRP" and they didn't realize there was a $4500 eco credit. So they paid list.

When I walk into a dealership, i really do not need any numbers from them- sticker, blue sky, "invoice" (do people really rely on a dealer to tell them invoice?)... "Here is what the car should cost you; here is what I'll pay". Actually I do it over the phone.

I guess my point is simple: If you know what you paid, and you can look up the invoice for the car and every option, and you can find any dealer incentive, why do people post "hows my deal?"... It seems as silly as saying 'my lease is $678 a month, is that a good deal?"

On the other hand, asking "On a diesel, what is a reasonable profit for the dealer?" This is a simple answer and is independent of options, etc, etc. Generally there are two numbers for the X5- one for gas, one for diesel.

A
I don't disagree with you at all. I always feel confident of my ability to determine the true invoice price. But the same people that post "how's this deal?" probably are the same people that may not be the most experienced at determining what the true invoice price is. So for those people, I like to know what MSRP they're starting with.

Either way, I love it when people agonize over the deal, then go in to sign the papers and get presented with a page of last minute profit boosters by the dealer, which can often add up to $6-8K or more, and end up paying for paint protection, dent and ding insurance, etc.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

^^ +1000
Old 08-21-2011, 11:02 AM

Besides being informed, the best tool you have in negotiating in my experience is being willing to walk away...
Old 08-21-2011, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi (ED)
At the risk of having somebody jump at me for not doing my own research, I would like to state for the record that I did look at the invoice pricing on tuecar.com (although I still was not able to see the 2012 pricing for the diesel option there), and have read several posts on bimmerfest regarding recent X5 purchases.

Few things have changed since I picked up my 335xi through ED from Munich, and therefore I would appreciate a quick nod on whether I am on the right path in my research before pulling the trigger on a 2011 or 2012 X5 35d. (Upcoming family expansion, and there is no way a baby car seat is going on my priority 1 option lemon / black (white) leather interior in my 3 series.)

So I am thinking of offering 1K above invoice price, and take off 3.5K for eco credit, 1K for customer loyalty, 1K for BMW CCA discount and whatever my BMW credit card points have mounted up for the last 4 years.

Am I missing anything else? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated - even if it's towards more research. (Just please don't tell me to change my credit card, even though I am sure there are a lot better reward programs out there. There is just something about pulling the BMW logo out of my wallet on daily basis...)

PS: Anybody knows of a dealer in the Westchester, NY area interested in wheeling / dealing like this? (Few dealers on Long Island looked very confused when I started to talk in "above invoice " terms, rather than in MSRP terms. I have done my previous purchase at the BMW of Tenafly, NJ, and the guys over there are great, but hate to be driving all the way out there when I want the special TLC that only the dealership where you purchased your car gives you.)

Many thanks,

Paul
Old 08-21-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubulak View Post
At the risk of having somebody jump at me for not doing my own research, I would like to state for the record that I did look at the invoice pricing on tuecar.com (although I still was not able to see the 2012 pricing for the diesel option there), and have read several posts on bimmerfest regarding recent X5 purchases.

Few things have changed since I picked up my 335xi through ED from Munich, and therefore I would appreciate a quick nod on whether I am on the right path in my research before pulling the trigger on a 2011 or 2012 X5 35d. (Upcoming family expansion, and there is no way a baby car seat is going on my priority 1 option lemon / black (white) leather interior in my 3 series.)

So I am thinking of offering 1K above invoice price, and take off 3.5K for eco credit, 1K for customer loyalty, 1K for BMW CCA discount and whatever my BMW credit card points have mounted up for the last 4 years.

Am I missing anything else? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated - even if it's towards more research.
Paul,

This was just about what I did. I found my initial data on truecar and send this to my dealer. I offered $1000 over invoice minus eco credit($3.5K) and drive for team USA($1K) and that number fell right at the great/good cutoff on truecar. This is basically the price that we settled on.

Good luck with your purchase. I am in a similar situation to you, love my E90 but the family is growing. Sorry I don't know anything about NY/NJ dealers!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi (ED)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugasman View Post
Paul,

This was just about what I did. I found my initial data on truecar and send this to my dealer. I offered $1000 over invoice minus eco credit($3.5K) and drive for team USA($1K) and that number fell right at the great/good cutoff on truecar. This is basically the price that we settled on.

Good luck with your purchase. I am in a similar situation to you, love my E90 but the family is growing. Sorry I don't know anything about NY/NJ dealers!
Many thanks kugasman!

Any idea whether the BMW CCA discount, the customer loyalty, and/or the Drive for Team USA are mutually exclusive? They all happen to be $1000 each. (I assume you are a CCA member?)

Few more of these, and they will be paying us to take these cars off their hands.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubulak View Post
Many thanks kugasman!

Any idea whether the BMW CCA discount, the customer loyalty, and/or the Drive for Team USA are mutually exclusive? They all happen to be $1000 each. (I assume you are a CCA member?)

Few more of these, and they will be paying us to take these cars off their hands.
I don't know for sure if they're exclusive. One thing to watch out for is your dealer telling you a sob story about how they won't be making any money on the car. My CA told me that the dealer was making only $500 on the car after subtracting the eco credit etc. I pointed out to him that the dealer doesn't "lose" the eco credit and other incentives, they're from BMW NA, so they are still making a lot of money on the car. Good luck with negotiation!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: X5D
Just picked my 2011 White BMW X5D with 5500 miles with sports package and most other options without premium sound for $52750.. I hope this is a decent deal !!!