Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
BMW Station for iPhone: One stop solution?

I remember the problems I had finding a good bluetooth solution for my X3. Now it seems BMW has come up with a docking station/holder that will have bluetooth, GPS, music control and phone controlled through an app 'BMW link'. The good thing is it can be installed on E83. The installation instructions are in this link: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10252367 . It's in German, perhaps AzN would be so kind to translate for us
The FAQ are here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/bmw...w-link-faq.pdf

Now waiting for it to be available here in NA.

BTW, there are some very small videos of app and the station here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...ity/index.html

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Ads by Google
Old 08-26-2011, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 335d (e90)
Setting up a groupbuy on e90 post

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577465
Old 08-30-2011, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
That looks nice. It doesn't look like the BMW Link app is available in the U.S. App Store yet, though.

I'd be tempted to get this if I didn't already have all of this functionality with my iPhone in my X3, and without having to pay a monthly fee for navigation guidance either (I detailed my set-up on my old blog here).
Old 09-02-2011, 12:13 PM

That looks good, but I personally won't have anything on the vents blocking the airflow or a wire running on the dash. What I did was:

a) Installed Parrot bluetooth with steering wheel interface kit (my car did not have factory bluetooth or pre-wiring). Its drawback is that it doesn't display caller ID on radio LCD screen. Other than that it is great. Of course iPhone doesn't allow contact transfer over bluetooth so I have to rely on iPhone voice recognition for making calls, which has worked for me so far.
b) Routed the iPod interface to cubby hole on top of dash.
c) Bought the Scosche adapter that you have too, so that it charges iPhone.
d) Bought the incase iPhone case with holder. http://www.goincase.com/products/det...case-cl59156/4 Affixed the holder with velcro in the cubbby hole.

Now, when I get into car I just plug in the cable to phone and set it up on incase holder. It is right there in front of my eyes, displays caller ID, navigation is right there, music works through iPod connector and it charges the phone too. Basically, I have all the functionality of BMW iPhone station with a little bit of hassle of plugging the cable instead of just inserting it into the dock.

That station is going to be a great thing for people who don't have bluetooth, navigation or iPod connector etc but remember you have to pay monthly fee if you are going to use BMW navigation through BMW link app. Navigon works great for me. Personally though, I have all the functionality of iPhone I need and I spent half the money. The car had iPod connector already when I bought it. If one doesn't have all three things that I mentioned, then it is going to be a great economical choice with pretty much every function you will need.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)

Last edited by enamoured; 09-02-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:40 PM

A) it doesnt block the vents, its above them
B) cable doesnt run along the dash, it goes into the dash behind the bracket
Old 09-02-2011, 12:45 PM

I know. I was talking about what r6grl has done. You can see it at the link she has given. I was also talking about what solution I have right now in my car.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 09-02-2011, 12:51 PM

ahh...yeah I thought that was quite an inelegant solution. this would work well for her.