Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-19-2011, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 94 b.m.w 325i
Angry 94 325i convertible top problem

I have a bmw 325i convertible. I replaced the top motor in it oviously because the top was not working. After following directions i put the new motor in and did the resyncing. Now when i hit the top buttons to put the top down all the windows go down and that is it. Even after the windows are down i can still here the clicking noise. Anyways i have spent hours and hours trying to figure out what to do and to no avail my top is still now working.. Could somebody please help me out.
Ads by Google
Old 08-19-2011, 08:56 AM
nothing.

Mein Auto: A dream
reenagee your motors maybe?

bf.c whole section about verts.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:28 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Sounds like you've got a micro switch adjustment issue too. Go to www.bimmerforums.com then to the E36 forum then to the Verts forum. There's a sticky there with great troubleshooting info.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 325is, 328ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaniels View Post
I have a bmw 325i convertible. I replaced the top motor in it oviously because the top was not working. After following directions i put the new motor in and did the resyncing. Now when i hit the top buttons to put the top down all the windows go down and that is it. Even after the windows are down i can still here the clicking noise. Anyways i have spent hours and hours trying to figure out what to do and to no avail my top is still now working.. Could somebody please help me out.
You more than likely need to check out or replace the control module, which is the computer located in the trunk area. The module, if bad will cause those problems.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 e36 convertible
have you tried pushing the top up with one hand while holding the button. thats the way I put my top up. but if you replaced all of your bungee cords you shouldn't have to push up the top while holding the button down.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:51 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
With the semi-automatic top after you release the lock handle by the top of the windshield you have to push up the front of the top and hold it up while the rear of the top lifts up, hte sotrage compartment cover lifts, the back of the top drops down and the top starts moving backward to fold into the storage compartment. You have to hold it up high enough that one of the microswitches is closed or nothing moves. You should be able to hear the switch clicking open and closed as you move the front of the top up and down.
I'm attaching some info on the microswitches.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E36%20Convertible%20Adjust.pdf (878.8 KB, 79 views)