Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li; 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesatman View Post
Proper vehicle maintenance is a HUGE factor in owning any vehicle. If you don't take care of it with preventative maint. then it will have issues and in the case of BMW those issues can be costly. For all you people that sold because of carbon build-up issues, how often did you use any cleaning agents or additives to help minimize or reduce the carbon buildup? My guess is never.
I used them as much as BMW recommends using them. Never.

My car had all scheduled maintenance and repairs. I think we need to get to the bottom of the issue, what causes the carbon buildup??? A mechanic told me they BMW blames bad US gas.... Would using a lower octane gas cause this?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:10 AM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Re: PO491 and 492 = Get rid of the 7 - UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper1971 View Post
Well guys I hung on as long as I could with my '05 but just over last year put in so much money for lil things going wrong plus still had the weep hole n P0491&92 issue to deal with@ 10,000 to fix. Sometimes you just gotta let it go before it consumes you to the point of insanity. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 7 but couldn't deal with shelling out cash for nothing seemed like every 2-3 mos. I think I'm disgusted with BMW now bc they knew the issues on these cars with the oil changes being too for apart which has ruined these motors. I see them on the road all the time with the same issues I had smoking at stop lights and for the money paid for these cars it's ridiculous that you have to deal with such crap. I was in the market for a new M3 but shopped around to see what I could get more bang for my buck and not have the after warranty horror stories from before. I went back domestic... Got more HP and gadgets than the M3 or M5 for that matter. Track tuned suspension, brembo brakes all around, touch screen navi n infotainment system like the iDrive but sooooo much better with more app options!! Plus all for 30,000k less!! 5yr/100,000 power train n bumper to bumper plus free oil changes for the 5yrs.(@ every 5,000mi like it should be) Very happy with it I know a lot on here will talk down bc it's not BMW, but hey eventually u will come around or go broke.... It up to u and ur wallet! Mine had enough!! Lol!

Attachment 388825

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Good looking Camero. Is that the SS model? Post up some more pics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 750LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizmo View Post
I used them as much as BMW recommends using them. Never.

My car had all scheduled maintenance and repairs. I think we need to get to the bottom of the issue, what causes the carbon buildup??? A mechanic told me they BMW blames bad US gas.... Would using a lower octane gas cause this?
I'm not talking about what BMW recommends...I'm talking about what is good for your car. You have to keep your engine and fuel system clean on the inside and to do that you need to use some cleaning additives regularily.

Sport Package, Rear Entertainment Package, Comfort Access, Cold Weather Package, Smoking Package, L7 High Def Audio
Mods = Powdercoated 149s, Black hood vent and kidneys, LED lighting update, BMW puddle lights (all doors), custom coding by "Triple_O_Coding" (including VIM), updated navi DVD from "PAPER", 90C hybrid thermostat.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmk View Post
I'm not sure about your indie's assessment, but I would be curious to hear what others think.

I encountered the exact same problem -- with the same codes -- with my car shortly after purchasing it (a 2002 745i).

First I was told that there was a leak in the vacuum tubes, which I had replaced. The codes came back. Then I was told that it was something else (crank case leak?), and had that replaced. The codes came back. Finally, I was told that the problem was carbon build-up in the heads of the valves that services the secondary air flow system. I was given an insane quote for the cost to clean-out the carbon build-up, $14K if you can believe it!

Needless to say, I decided to "wait" on that particular repair offer.

Anyway, after more research, it seems that the issue is low airflow in the secondary airflow system, which is only used during the first 30-60 seconds of operation after a cold start. I have been told that the function of the secondary air system is 100% emissions related and has no effect whatsoever with respect to the car's performance. In fact, I was told that if the secondary air system were entirely removed, the car would continue to function perfectly.

I've come to the opinion that if the secondary airflow system isn't working, especially if the cause is "carbon buildup", there is no reason whatsoever to fix it, unless it is necessary to pass state emissions inspection.

In Mass. you are allowed to pass emissions with one sensor registering as "not ready". So, after resetting my codes, I drove about 150 miles so that the 1st 2 emissions sensors were ready (no problem with them) but before the secondary airflow sensor was ready. Passed inspection without issue.

So my question is, as long as you are able to pass state emissions inspection in your state, who cares if the secondary airflow system isn't working properly?

I love my car and normally spare no expense in repairs and maintenance. However, based on my above understanding of the secondary air flow system, there doesn't seem to be any good reason to pay for the enormous expense of this particular repair -- or even to worry about it at all.

Am I missing somerthing? Will leaving the secondary air flow system as it is (apparently clogged with carbon build up), actually cause other performcance problems with my 745i down the road? If so, which components of the car would be affected and why?

By the way, this exact same problem frequently occurs in the 5-Series and many members there have "solved" the problem, not by paying megabucks to have the system cleaned out by the dealership, but rather by purchasing a software upgrade from Powerchip "with emissions fix", which bascally changes the airflow tolerances such that the CEL light doesn't go on depsite the fact that the secondary airflow system has little or no airflow.

I'm interested to know what you guys think?
What is the software upgrade from "Powerchip"? I cannot find any info on this?
Old 07-29-2013, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 745i
PO491 and 492 = Get rid of the 7 - UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesatman View Post
Proper vehicle maintenance is a HUGE factor in owning any vehicle. If you don't take care of it with preventative maint. then it will have issues and in the case of BMW those issues can be costly. For all you people that sold because of carbon build-up issues, how often did you use any cleaning agents or additives to help minimize or reduce the carbon buildup? My guess is never.
We were all under the maintenance programs where you trust the local and very knowledgeable BMW Service Dept to do their job. I asked several time what I could add or do and was always told by my Service Advisor not to put anything in the car at risk or damaging the sensitive parts... BS they knew it was going to go bad and looked to make money off of me and all other poor souls out there.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 745i
PO491 and 492 = Get rid of the 7 - UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
Good looking Camero. Is that the SS model? Post up some more pics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
Thanks Man!! I love it!! It's a 2013 2SS/RS 1LE Track Pack....
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1375137246.047445.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	388998

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1375137826.432861.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	389002

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1375137844.760144.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	389003

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1375137862.638986.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	389004

Old 07-30-2013, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 750LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper1971 View Post
We were all under the maintenance programs where you trust the local and very knowledgeable BMW Service Dept to do their job. I asked several time what I could add or do and was always told by my Service Advisor not to put anything in the car at risk or damaging the sensitive parts... BS they knew it was going to go bad and looked to make money off of me and all other poor souls out there.

Yeah...I'm not falling for that "banana in the tailpipe trick. I will get regular oil changes, and use cleaning additives regularily.

Sport Package, Rear Entertainment Package, Comfort Access, Cold Weather Package, Smoking Package, L7 High Def Audio
Mods = Powdercoated 149s, Black hood vent and kidneys, LED lighting update, BMW puddle lights (all doors), custom coding by "Triple_O_Coding" (including VIM), updated navi DVD from "PAPER", 90C hybrid thermostat.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 745
My car in the shop for this problem right now p0491 and p0492, i got the car with those codes on it and a shop the dealer work with check it out and say its the secondary air pump, and they will replace it parts and labor $491. i took it to another shop last tuesday to get a second opinion until now they havent give me an answer. I heard you can run the euro software to eliminate the check engine light for that system and the light still work for everything else. anyone know about this software?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 745LI
You can check to see if the secondary air pump is toast by disconnecting the "Y" connector near the air filter and turn the car on first thing in the morning when it's cooled down overnight. You should notice the pump working /not by air being blown out, this will only last for 30 seconds.

If pump is ok, do a smoke test to see if any leaks on the "Y" hoses.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 05 745 LI, 05 Acura RL
Sick upgrade if you ask me!! good luck with the SS. I love the fully optioned one you have the others are just too plain.

22's, AC Schnitzer Kit, H&R Lowering Springs, Tinted tails and Signals, AC Schnitzer
Carbon Door Pillars, Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Tuner Mod, Tinted Windshield,
30% Tint all the way around, and some other stuff I forgot.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 745
the shop quote me $3500 to fix my p0491 p0492 problem. there is a tread on here and also a youtube video showing a shop in california that sell a kit to clean the ports, any one have a link to that thread or the website please post it because i cant find it. i want to get the kit its cheaper than the price these shops quoting me.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:57 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Re: PO491 and 492 = Get rid of the 7 - UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7SeriesFilm View Post
the shop quote me $3500 to fix my p0491 p0492 problem. there is a tread on here and also a youtube video showing a shop in california that sell a kit to clean the ports, any one have a link to that thread or the website please post it because i cant find it. i want to get the kit its cheaper than the price these shops quoting me.
Try doing a better search for the topic !
The search feature on this site is your friend

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 09-04-2013, 06:30 PM

Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
If I hadn't had my computer customized to bypass the secondary air system to pass emissions tests, I would get the AGA kit in a heartbeat. Based on their very well designed and successful coolant pipe kit, I would expect great results and support.

2008 Lexus LS 460
20" TSW Strip Wheels on Staggered Falken FK452
Old 09-05-2013, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li; 2000 328Ci
Roadfrog, how did update the software?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
An Indy BMW shop in Vancouver area. 500 bucks. Basically the programming fools the OBD into thinking it's operational which allowed me to get through Govt smog tests.

2008 Lexus LS 460
20" TSW Strip Wheels on Staggered Falken FK452
Old 09-05-2013, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Hey guys I decided to jump into this thread instead of making another. I have the same codes. I was going to get the AGA kit, but I noticed that people were also talking about burning oil. My car goes through about a QT of oil once every 4-5 months~(Give or take, its long enough that I forget about it). Do you think this could be the ultimate cause? I noticed on rare occasion after extended drives the car will studder at idle. Not looking for definitive answers, just based off your experiences.

Am I looking at:
AGA kit
Valve stem seals
Vacuum lines??
CCV's (which I replaced about a year ago and were covered in oil)
Old 09-05-2013, 02:58 PM

I read somewhere that it's normal to loose a qt /k. but maybe you're on to something, could be the burning oil / exhaust back fumes trigger the codes.