Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35i
Seat Memory Function

I have the 20 way adjustable seats that come with the sports package on the 550i GT. When I use the memory buttons to adjust the driver's seat back to the stored position, I find I need to continue to hold the button in (in my case, the "1" button) until the seat has fully adjusted. If I release the button, the seat stops at whatever position it's in at that moment.

In reading the manual, it doesn't seem to say you need keep the button pressed in to adjust the seat. I read it as saying you just need to press the button once and the seat should adjust to the correct position without continuing to hold it in.

Is this how the memory button works on everyone's cars? If it is, its a very, very minor inconvenience, and not something that really bothers me. I just want to make sure I'm not missing a setting somewhere that would make it a one touch function for me.

Ps I should mention that the last position / key memory thing isn't really an option for me as I park in a Manhattan parking garage, and likely have multiple people adjust the seat between the time I drop it off and pick it up each time.
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
You should be able to adjust the seat, mirrors, wheel once, press "M" and then "1" and have the memory retain your settings. The book shows:

Storing
1. Switch on the ignition.
2. Set the desired position.
3. Press the M button. The LED in the
button lights up.
4. Press the desired button 1 or 2. The LED
goes out.
If the M button is pressed accidentally:
Press the M button again.
The LED goes out.

Comfort function
1. Open the driver's door.
2. Switch off the ignition.
3. Briefly press the desired button 1 or 2.
The corresponding seat position is performed
automatically.
The procedure stops when a switch for adjusting
the seat or one of the buttons is pressed.

Safety mode
1. Close the driver's door or switch on the ignition
2. Press and hold the desired button 1 or 2 until
the adjustment procedure is completed.

Sounds like you might be adjusting the seat with the door closed? In both our GT's we set each so that whoever drives just needs to hit 1 or 2 and everything adjusts to each's settings. Seems to work okay so far.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35i
You're right, I've been hitting the button with the door closed. Re-reading the manual, it needs to be open as you suggest.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 08:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
You're right, I've been hitting the button with the door closed. Re-reading the manual, it needs to be open as you suggest.

Thanks
Glad to help. Incidentally, the 2010 and 2011 manuals are available online in PDF format and can be saved for easy reference. Earlier in the year, the 2011 manual was NOT available as they were using the 2010 manual for the 2011's. In addition, the early year 2011's were programmed as 2010's leading to some issues, which took a complete reprogramming in my case to resolve.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride.

PS Even though I live in So. CA, I worked in NY and did investigations in NYC and Brooklyn way back when. Sometimes parked ten blocks away just to get a spot and walked...even faster to walk than drive sometimes! Even then, the Bedford-Stuyvesant area of Brooklyn was an area where they would strip an unmarked car in seconds...LOL!

Last edited by magnumforc; 08-22-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:20 AM

Mein Auto: 520 GT
F07 5 GT retrieving seat memory with remote key

Can anybody help me to understand what's the function of the individual key when opening door for retrieving the memorized seat position ( comfort seat option).
So far checking or uncheking the last seat position in the settings menu has no effect, whatever selection when I open my door with the main key, my seats do not move ie they stay in the last position detected when locking the door.
Only M1, M2 keys when contact is on can move seats to a memorized position.

Operator manual is unclear on the key function, however it would make sense that the key opening brings seats back to the memorized position ie the M1 one ..
See Bimmerfest comments when multiple individuals parks the car and main conductor wants settings back when opening remtely with main key .

For me it never worked like this.
Can anybody help? any failure in the menu logic?
Thx for helping out...