Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-21-2011, 09:16 PM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
Rear upper control arm outer bushing

Well this is the bushing that is causing a whole lot of bumping and thunking in the rear of my car. Unfortunately, I can't find any DIYs for this specific bushing...

What do you guys think it will take to get it out and put the new one in?

It's number 2 in the diagram

Advertisement
Old 08-22-2011, 09:49 PM
some kid

Don't make me go post this on bfc... Cause that's not something I want to do if I don't have to

Old 08-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328i - Avus blue
this ball joint is a PITA it took me several hours just to get this one out i used the ball joint press tool from autozone along with some pieces of pipe to make everything thing fit the hard part is keeping the ball joint straight so you can press it out. have fun and good luck
Old 08-23-2011, 08:36 PM
some kid

I'm not looking forward to this at all...

Was it at least easy to get the new one in?

Old 08-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328i - Avus blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
I'm not looking forward to this at all...

Was it at least easy to get the new one in?
yeah once you find a setup with the press that works you use the same setup to get the new one in but to get it out its ok to push against the smaller inner ring on the balljoint (the part that is sticking out) as long as you can keep it straight but when putting the new balljoint in i would try and find something that fits perfectly around the balljoints outer ring to avoid damaging the new part. Bimmerworld.com makes a tool for this to be used with a balljoint press or large C-clamp i had already had the parts and did not want to wait so i had to do it the hard way but this will make the job a lot easier cuz it fits right on the edge heres the link.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/e3646-r...tool-p580.aspx