Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 08-22-2011, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 1969 Mustang
Chevy Powered 1999 740IL

Hey guys i was gonna make this post in the introduction section but i figured it would be better here. My name is Joey and i picked up a 740IL that had some timing chain noise still ran though and my dad paid some guy who said he was a "bmw mechanic" to replace the chains any ways long story short now the valves are bent in both heads.

A motor seems impossible to find or its more money to buy it then the cars worth.

Planning to do a carb chevy 350 swap with a turbo 350 auto

what do you guys think?
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325Ci
Bring it on, Joey. Let's see what you can do. With pics, of course. But, I gotta ask (and show my age) if you're hell-bent on American muscle, why not put in a bored out 351 Cleveland? And if you like the old school carbs, how about three two barrels? Or maybe two four barrels? Or put a Mopar 426 hemi in it, and a tranny that can take the torque?
In all seriousness, take some time to learn abount what engines you can put in the car, and rebuild one and make it work. I'm not being a PITA, but once you see the difference between a BMW and GM motor, you'll be impressed. And ... a better Chevy mechanic.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubis View Post
Bring it on, Joey. Let's see what you can do. With pics, of course. But, I gotta ask (and show my age) if you're hell-bent on American muscle, why not put in a bored out 351 Cleveland? And if you like the old school carbs, how about three two barrels? Or maybe two four barrels? Or put a Mopar 426 hemi in it, and a tranny that can take the torque?
In all seriousness, take some time to learn abount what engines you can put in the car, and rebuild one and make it work. I'm not being a PITA, but once you see the difference between a BMW and GM motor, you'll be impressed. And ... a better Chevy mechanic.
I will post pics up tomorrow. I can put any engine in it but the FACT is i can pickup a GM drive train for a couple hundred bucks and do all the fabrication work myself and have the car up and running again in no time for maybe 500 bucks and not only will it be cheap but it will be 150x more reliable and easier / cheaper to repair when some thing does break.

But any ways i am not here to argue with any one as to what is better or worse or any thing close to that. I am doing the swap and i just wanted to see if any one here has seen this before in a 740 and i wanted to get some feed back.

This car is beautiful and i think with a nice cheap american engine it would make for a pretty bad ass daily driver.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangNotch View Post
i just wanted to see if any one here has seen this before in a 740 and i wanted to get some feed back.
Probably you can contact the guy who start this thread : http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...512&highlight=

My opinion : probably it will be cheaper for the swap,(like parts) but the amount of work to do this....get ready ! The amount of work to do that I think is much greater than taking apart the hole BMW engine and put it back twice.
Besides the engine there is the cluster(will not work), ABS/DSC,(will not work maybe) , ECM and cable network, and the list goes ON and ON.
In the end...that car will look like a BMW and drive like a truck.
If you are looking for fun...I bet will be a lot of fun in the swap.
If you are mechanically inclined why don't you take the heads off and do the valve job? Or pick an engine from www.car-part.com or Craig's list around you. If you are ready to do the swap you should be ready to replace or fix that engine and you can proudly ride the BMW not the truck.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyism5 View Post
Probably you can contact the guy who start this thread : http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...512&highlight=

My opinion : probably it will be cheaper for the swap,(like parts) but the amount of work to do this....get ready ! The amount of work to do that I think is much greater than taking apart the hole BMW engine and put it back twice.
Besides the engine there is the cluster(will not work), ABS/DSC,(will not work maybe) , ECM and cable network, and the list goes ON and ON.
In the end...that car will look like a BMW and drive like a truck.
If you are looking for fun...I bet will be a lot of fun in the swap.
If you are mechanically inclined why don't you take the heads off and do the valve job? Or pick an engine from www.car-part.com or Craig's list around you. If you are ready to do the swap you should be ready to replace or fix that engine and you can proudly ride the BMW not the truck.
I did pull the heads off and i donno how but the cylinders are all scored up. I can have the engine rebuilt but it would cost me well over 2 grand and the car is only worth maybe 5k.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
Doing the swap will cost money too. I'm not trying to convince you not doing it, I'm just trying to bring up the things that you might not be aware of. I once swapped an engine+transmission (automatic to manual plus there were 2 different generations) and I had trouble matching the parts. I said to myself never do that again, I ended changing everything except the seats . cables, computers, airbag modules, fuel pump...etc.
Try to locate the guy who did it before and ask him if he's willing to do it again.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
While I'd like to see it (and probably love to drive it ), I'd agree with joyism5 on this.

There are a lot of electrical systems integrated with each other in these cars, and since I haven't heard of many successful swaps where the electronics still worked, I'd ask that you check into how much work is actually involved in getting a Chevy motor to work in this car. As well as getting the rest of the car to work with a Chevy motor. If you just want the performance, then go for it, but if you bought the E38 for the many options that it came with (and most happen to be electronic), then I'd suggest just fixing the motor that it has, or swapping in another M62 motor from another car. I'd imagine that it would be much cheaper and less time consuming than swapping in a Chevy 350.

That being said, I can't imagine a better combination of easily accessible power (cheap modifications), reliability, handling, looks, and comfort, than an E38 with an LS motor with a manual transmission.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
While I'd like to see it (and probably love to drive it ), I'd agree with joyism5 on this.

There are a lot of electrical systems integrated with each other in these cars, and since I haven't heard of many successful swaps where the electronics still worked, I'd ask that you check into how much work is actually involved in getting a Chevy motor to work in this car. As well as getting the rest of the car to work with a Chevy motor. If you just want the performance, then go for it, but if you bought the E38 for the many options that it came with (and most happen to be electronic), then I'd suggest just fixing the motor that it has, or swapping in another M62 motor from another car. I'd imagine that it would be much cheaper and less time consuming than swapping in a Chevy 350.

That being said, I can't imagine a better combination of easily accessible power (cheap modifications), reliability, handling, looks, and comfort, than an E38 with an LS motor with a manual transmission.

yeah thats why i registered here i figured some one had to of done this swap before and would have some direct facts to help me.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
I've never seen anyone who has done this in real life, and I've only heard of maybe two or three people who have done this on the internet, one of them was in the posted link, and I'm not even sure how good that car is running. Even people who have tried swapping in an M5 motor from an E39 to an E38 have had issues getting the electronic systems to work.

If I were to try something like this out, I'd like to hear from people who have done it before (unfortunatly there doesn't seem to be that many out there), and I'd have to be ready to spend lots of time and lots of money on the project.

Have you driven an E38 with the stock motor? What exactly are you hoping to gain from dropping a 350 in an E38? The stock M62 has similar performance to a stock LS motor, and with the money you invest in a swap, I'd imagine you would have enough to build up the transmission and add a supercharger to the stock BMW motor.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Master of the Universe

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li
Love the idea of it, except I'd opt for fuel injection. Maybe an LS1 or something similar. I'm sure it won't be cheap, but you won't have to pay the dreaded bmw tax for all eternity.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 635 CSi BMW 730i E38
I'm in the United Kingdom and I don't think that by US state law you can have a carb engine in a modern car due to excessive exhaust gas emissions failing any type of emmision laws and tests that you may have in the US and I'm sure that you cannot do it in England but I will check up on this and let you know.
Would anybody please advise me on US laws please, Peter.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
check out this forum, there is a section dedicated to engine conversions.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=208

Lots of BMW guys are turning to the LSx engine platform there. Keep in mind if you live in an area with emissions testing or other inspections you need to check the local laws before proceeding.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 740iL
Why don't you just try to source a V12 out of a wrecked 750? Here you go, this website has them for just over 2K. It seems like a lot, but I think you'll be happier with the results than if you frankensteined a 350 in there. You're kinda taking one of the best features the car has to offer out. At least the V12 was made to run in that car, it's probably more fuel efficient than a Carbed 350, and you'll have a stock 326hp and 361tq without breaking a sweat. If I was going to dish out the money to change the engine, that's what I would do. Personally, I would just part the car out and buy a 750iL, or another 740iL.