Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-27-2014, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i xDrive
Cannot download call log from Samsung S3

I'm switching from an iPhone 4S to a Samsung S3 and am experiencing problems getting the iDrive system to download the sent and received calls from the S3. The iPhone did this with no problems but with the S3, I get the prompt that the BMW is requesting access to messages (granted) and call history & contacts (also granted), but the iDrive then displays "no entries" when I select either "Redial" or "Calls Received"

Strangely (but to my delight) the iDrive can retrieve text messages from the S3 (something that it couldn't do with the iPhone) and can even read them aloud using text to speech functionality. Phone book contacts are downloaded without trouble, voice dialing is flawless and there is also full A2DP functionality (music streaming from the phone using the bluetooth connection). Only the call log is missing.

I have installed the latest iDrive software update (UPD05021) from the www.bmw.com/update site and have also upgraded the S3 from Jelly Bean (v4.3) to Kitkat (v4.4.2) but the problem has persisted. I'm beginning to wonder if this is due to some android setting on the S3 that I haven't noticed yet. However, the S3 call log is readily downloaded to a Kenwood radio unit in another vehicle I own, so I doubt that that could be the case.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue, and if so, how was it resolved? This is the only issue keeping me from switching entirely to the S3 (which is a great phone) and as such is a little frustrating.

Thanks,

DS

Last edited by DeltaSigma; 07-27-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-27-2014, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i XDrive
You're not by any chance using the GMail app to access your email on the Samsung, are you?

I had the same problem with my HTC One M8, and discovered that Google's GMail app doesn't support MAP (Message Access Profile). Since all of the email accounts I care about are via GMail or Google Apps, I decided to use the GMail app.

When I switched to the 'standard' email application included with the phone, it started working.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
You're not by any chance using the GMail app to access your email on the Samsung, are you?

I had the same problem with my HTC One M8, and discovered that Google's GMail app doesn't support MAP (Message Access Profile). Since all of the email accounts I care about are via GMail or Google Apps, I decided to use the GMail app.

When I switched to the 'standard' email application included with the phone, it started working.

Thanks - I'm using the standard email app that came with the Samsung as I have both GMail and other email accounts.

I can see how this might affect the ability to read email messages on the iDrive screen (something I haven't tried yet and didn't know was possible,TBH) but I didn't think it would affect the ability to view the call history.

Thanks again,

DS

Last edited by DeltaSigma; 07-27-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i XDrive
Wow, sorry about that. I had a complete and total neural malf when I read your post. Not sure how I didn't notice it was a call history issue, other than that I came fresh from resolving an email issue (and was feeling a bit under the weather earlier this evening; something I ate I guess).

I haven't looked into accessing my call history; I'll have to try it in the morning.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-27-2014, 08:58 PM

I just checked www.bmwusa.com/bluetooth and, after entering my phone and car info, it turns out that call list display is not supported (and neither is email display) - only calls made via the bluetooth connection are shown (as they are in my case).

Hopefully, this will be addressed in a future iDrive software update. It doesn't seem that it should be too difficult, given the information that is already displayed.

DS