Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-11-2014, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Help me decide!

Hello all. New to this forum and this is my first post. I think this is the place I need right now!

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2011 550i that is currently sitting at a non-BMW dealership. It has 33,000 miles and a clean carfax, one-owner. I test drove it today and must say I loved it. It has all the bells and whistles (park assist, heated seats/mirrors, nav, lane departure warning, etc). They are asking $29990 for it. It started at about 37.5k a month or two ago. Upon visual inspection today, I did notice the smallest of a bubble on the left front tire. I started looking that up on here and see that it is a pretty well known issue. I'm assuming through my reading that that will need a replacement ASAP.

Anyways, I can't really figure out why its priced so low. At least it seems low to me. KBB has it at 40k. It is rear-wheel drive and I live in the northeast, so I know that turns away quite a few buyers, but I am prepared to deal with that, and my other car is a suburban I can drive in bad snow. I'm just hesitating due to fear of mechanical issues down the road or that tire blowing up right after I buy it. It doesn't seem to have any other problems I could see, and the test drive was pretty awesome. If anyone has a minute to tell me their gut feeling, I'd love to hear it! Thanks alot guys.

P.S. Another thing holding me back is that I am going to eat the last few payments of my current lease if I go through with this. I know thats generally a stupid idea but if this really is a good deal, I'm ok with it.
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Oh Really?

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi
1.) tire will need to be replaced. Negotiate that into the deal. Run flats are expensive.
2.) RWD is going to suck in the winter NE. I've been through it with a rwd Infiniti M35 and it's terrible. Snow tires may help but nothing beats the X-drive.
3.) I'm always weary of 3rd party dealerships. Be sure there's a solid warranty. I would have the car inspected by your mechanic and check it inside out.
4.) check how long it's been on the lot. The longer it's been there, the more reason to thoroughly check it. You can also negotiate lower if they're trying to get rid of it.

Good luck!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2015 BMW 535xi - M Sport

Carbon Black w/ Anthracite Wood Trim
Cold Weather
Drivers Assistance
Dynamic Handling
Sports Auto Transmission
Multi-Contour Seats
HK Audio
Makes Pancakes in the morning
Leaves Money on Dresser

Week 43 Build Date
Old 09-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Oh Really?

I forgot. At 33,000 miles make sure to check the brakes and tires. That's typically around the mark when those components will need switching out. Factor that into negotiations.

2015 BMW 535xi - M Sport

Cold Weather
Drivers Assistance
Dynamic Handling
Sports Auto Transmission
Multi-Contour Seats
HK Audio
Leaves Money on Dresser

Week 43 Build Date
Old 09-11-2014, 05:09 PM

I want to take it to a mechanic but it is at a dealership real far away from me. Its a reputable dealer, just not a BMW one, and they have a 5 day no questions asked return policy and a 30 day exchange policy. It must have a few months left on the BMW 4 year/40k warranty. I was thinking if I did get it, I'd immediately bring it to a mechanic local to me and have him grill it. You are definitely right about 33k being time for brakes and tires. The tread seemed around 50% on the tires, and I have no idea how to check the brakes. The on board computer said the pads were at 100%, but being new to BMW, Im guessing thats just something a dealer can reset.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:04 PM
Oh Really?

Take a look at the rotors and ensure they aren't warped. If they are a good dealership they would allow you to remove the wheels and get a closer look. Although you're getting a good deal, you still want to thoroughly inspect everything

2015 BMW 535xi - M Sport

Cold Weather
Drivers Assistance
Dynamic Handling
Sports Auto Transmission
Multi-Contour Seats
HK Audio
Leaves Money on Dresser

Week 43 Build Date
Old 09-11-2014, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: 12 550i MSport
That's an incredibly cheap price. Be very wary. One thing I can speak first person on is make sure the car starts right up, the 550 has issues with the injectors. They were replaced under warranty for me but from what I understand it's a $3k issue. Buy an extended warranty with tire coverage, from there have any work done at a dealer.
'98 528i Sport
Old 09-12-2014, 06:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix; 2015 X5 35ix
Pay heed to the injector issue as described by @TDEM above. It applies to any 2011 or 2012 550. Search this forum for more information. You are aware of the tire problems. Be forewarned! You may end up replacing all four tires with a different size in order to avoid the headache of constantly replacing them. Also, it's very important that you check the build date. It's on the tag at the lower-rear side of the driver's door jamb. If it's prior to September 2011 then you are potentially buying into some early production problems that you probably won't want to deal with. Also, the BMW warranty is more likely to have expired by now if it was an early build.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:14 PM

Hey guys. Just want to thank everyone for their input. I went back and gave it a second look. Ended up buying it. I called BMW before I went and provided them the VIN. They told me I'm covered under the ultimate plan through the end of this November. Good news all around, because this means it had a post September build date. Also, the dealership literally didn't have half the options this car has listed. Upon talking to BMW and looking at it, it has cold weather package and premium 2 package. They didn't list any of those features or advertise any of them. I'm starting to think they just werent aware of the car they had. Up until I looked at it, they also had it listed as standard transmission, which it isn't. Anyway, I bought it! Getting delivered to me in NH on wednesday. Can't wait! Thanks again guys.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey108 View Post
Hey guys. Just want to thank everyone for their input. I went back and gave it a second look. Ended up buying it. I called BMW before I went and provided them the VIN. They told me I'm covered under the ultimate plan through the end of this November. Good news all around, because this means it had a post September build date. Also, the dealership literally didn't have half the options this car has listed. Upon talking to BMW and looking at it, it has cold weather package and premium 2 package. They didn't list any of those features or advertise any of them. I'm starting to think they just werent aware of the car they had. Up until I looked at it, they also had it listed as standard transmission, which it isn't. Anyway, I bought it! Getting delivered to me in NH on wednesday. Can't wait! Thanks again guys.

Congrats. Looks like you found a gem. Good luck with your car. Picked up my 2011 in May this year and am very happy with it. I got a good deal but nothing approaching the deal you go on this one. You did good, apparently. Post some pics.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1410665507.781226.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	464336