Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

View Poll Results: HVAC fan button worn out/peeling what is the solution?
replace the button 40 47.62%
take apart the whole console and replace the entire HVAC face plate 44 52.38%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
He sent them a list.

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
Old 09-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
They will fix everything in accordance with warranty repairs. I think $2500 bucks is a good faith gesture, considering I was expecting a sorry note and some coupons for 20% off some BMW golf balls. I think this illustrates the difference between a luxury ownership from a more mainstream one. They will take short term pain for long term gain. Although, you would think they'd just make it easier on themselves and stop using inferior materials .
Haven't seen the your list, but does seem reasonable. Agree on the proactive approach instead of reactive. I sometimes think because they have the four year, 50k warranty and maintenance they don't put enough stock into the inconvenience and frustration. Glad it worked out to your satisfication. There is hope.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
seriously dude... if really minor issues like the bother you, you must have a real hard life thingine about the small things. by looking at the pics i didnt even notice what was missing from the picture.. and i still dont!

www.youtube.com/just516in <-- CLICK!
Old 09-03-2011, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by just516in View Post
seriously dude... if really minor issues like the bother you, you must have a real hard life thingine about the small things. by looking at the pics i didnt even notice what was missing from the picture.. and i still dont!
I took the liberty of editing TJ's pic, and highlighted the problem. Normal is on the right, defective is on the left. I, too, would have been pissed off if after a year of ownership my 60K car had this in front of my eyes daily. A little OCD - yes, but I also expect better from the "ultimate" driving machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TJP.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	291422  

2011 528i Space Gray Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / Dark Wood Trim / Prem Pack / Nav / PDC / USB-iPod

Last edited by gr8nrg; 09-03-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:07 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8nrg View Post
I took the liberty of editing TJ's pic, and highlighted the problem. Normal is on the right, defective is on the left. I, too, would have been pissed off if after a year of ownership my 60K car had this in front of my eyes daily. A little OCD - yes, but I also expect better from the "ultimate" driving machine.
That's what a warranty is for. They can replace button!

They did that for my peeling plastic on my steering wheel.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 09-03-2011, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
That's what a warranty is for. They can replace button!

They did that for my peeling plastic on my steering wheel.
No, they don't replace the button they replace the HVAC face plate. Apparently people aren't reading the thread, I guess it got long. It's not the button, it's the re-occurrence of repairs. Each repair involves going to the dealer, getting the diagnosis. Ordering the part, retrieving the car. Then returning to the dealer again to install said part. For every little fiddly thing that goes wrong that 2 trips to the dealer minimum.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535XI M-Sport
same way with all the dealers man, no matter what you drive. sux

i didnt read thru the entire thread. but i am thinking you can put on those clear protection tape after they replace your unit.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
No, they don't replace the button they replace the HVAC face plate. Apparently people aren't reading the thread, I guess it got long. It's not the button, it's the re-occurrence of repairs. Each repair involves going to the dealer, getting the diagnosis. Ordering the part, retrieving the car. Then returning to the dealer again to install said part. For every little fiddly thing that goes wrong that 2 trips to the dealer minimum.
This has been the point of the entire thread. Not just the button but all of the other stuff as well. I understand your frustration. Hope my experience is much better - first month has been quite a joy. As I've written before no such frustrations with our GS 300 and it was first model year also. Only hassle factor was 3 recalls but got new Nav DVD and free gas fill-ups for my trouble ( with nice loaner cars of course). If I have these types of issues with the bimmers it will be my first and last! Hopefully not - I really like this car!!
Old 09-04-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanf View Post
same way with all the dealers man, no matter what you drive. sux
i didnt read thru the entire thread. but i am thinking you can put on those clear protection tape after they replace your unit.
I have a clear bra on the car because I know the car is not impervious to rocks and road debris. I don't feel that I should have to do this to the interior, or wear gloves or handle it like a rare Faberge egg. Hopefully this is just first year growing pains, if not, once the warranty is over, it will be time to punt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulunderdog View Post
This has been the point of the entire thread. Not just the button but all of the other stuff as well. I understand your frustration. Hope my experience is much better - first month has been quite a joy. As I've written before no such frustrations with our GS 300 and it was first model year also. Only hassle factor was 3 recalls but got new Nav DVD and free gas fill-ups for my trouble ( with nice loaner cars of course). If I have these types of issues with the bimmers it will be my first and last! Hopefully not - I really like this car!!
I really like this car too. With all if it's flaws and what not. I am starting to see a lot of F10's here in LA. It's a great looking car and I still can't think of anything else I would want in this segment and price range.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
An open-and-shut case of button abuse. BMW's HVAC seems clearly designed to run continuously when the car is in use and isn't meant to be shut off under normal circumstances, and certainly not regularly. On my current car, that works well: with the temps set at 69F and the unit on "AUTO" I find limited fiddling is needed - rarely a higher fan speed, more often just shutting off the compressor or fiddling with the blend wheel for the dash vents. I would find the car without circulated outside air stifling, and I would think there was little attraction to the idea of open windows in the LA region. I'm not too surprised, then, that the plastic buttons won't stand up to this kind of misguided treatment.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
An open-and-shut case of button abuse. BMW's HVAC seems clearly designed to run continuously when the car is in use and isn't meant to be shut off under normal circumstances, and certainly not regularly. On my current car, that works well: with the temps set at 69F and the unit on "AUTO" I find limited fiddling is needed - rarely a higher fan speed, more often just shutting off the compressor or fiddling with the blend wheel for the dash vents. I would find the car without circulated outside air stifling, and I would think there was little attraction to the idea of open windows in the LA region. I'm not too surprised, then, that the plastic buttons won't stand up to this kind of misguided treatment.
Maybe on a Chevy, but I would expect the button to be of high quality on a BMW or any other car in this price range. Maybe my expectations are too high.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535Stu View Post
Maybe on a Chevy, but I would expect the button to be of high quality on a BMW or any other car in this price range. Maybe my expectations are too high.
Maybe. It would be interesting to compare the materials used on parts designed for hard use/wear and those intended for occasional use.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Not sure if you're serious, or have a sense of sarcasm that goes even over my radar.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:25 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Why 2 trips? Go in, get a new loaner, come back when it is done. That's another area the premium car purchase comes in handy. I have driven some great cars: X5 diesel, 535, 528, 3 series, 760 and 750!

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Dark Graphite
The Start/Stop button seems to be holding up well and experiences the most use. Glad that I've never had any problems with my vehicle over the past seven months. I have made a few trips to the dealership to pickup accessories ordered and actually enjoy looking at the new BMW's, Audi's and Benz's. However, I dread taking my car in for service and usually wait during service if possible. I also never allow them to wash my car.

TJPark should have received some type of compensation.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Why 2 trips? Go in, get a new loaner, come back when it is done. That's another area the premium car purchase comes in handy. I have driven some great cars: X5 diesel, 535, 528, 3 series, 760 and 750!
I hear you, but the car has never been disabled, so I guess I should feel lucky. They had to order a door handle for comfort access, then take said handle to body shop to have it painted and cured, this took 2.5 weeks. I would not want my car sitting at a dealership for that amount of time, as I would be suffering from separation anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier1 View Post
However, I dread taking my car in for service and usually wait during service if possible. I also never allow them to wash my car.
I never let a dealer wash my car, I know what goes on back there. I write "DO NOT WASH" on tape and place it on the windshield,driver window and over the airbag. I got a month payment paid for, which is satisfactory.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I know this thread is about more than the button. But what is wrong with the button? I don't see anything in the picture that looks damaged or wrong.

Sorry
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats

Prior BMWs
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black

Other
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 09-05-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRBob View Post
I know this thread is about more than the button. But what is wrong with the button? I don't see anything in the picture that looks damaged or wrong.

Sorry
No worries, I know it may be hard to see especially if you are on a phone or tablet or what ever. The small fan button used to lower or turn off the fan setting has been erased. All that is there is a basically a white clover.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:19 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier1 View Post
TJPark did, to the tune of $2500. Not bad compensation at all!

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 09-05-2011, 12:22 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
I never let a dealer wash my car, I know what goes on back there. I write "DO NOT WASH" on tape and place it on the windshield,driver window and over the airbag. I got a month payment paid for, which is satisfactory.
I have them wash mine but will have to stop. Too many swirl marks after.

You would think a premium car dealer would take better care washing.

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 09-05-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I have them wash mine but will have to stop. Too many swirl marks after.

You would think a premium car dealer would take better care washing.
It's an afterthought for them. Washing a car properly takes time and skill. The dealer is like a factory, they don't have time for that $hit. They use a pressure washer and blast your car with high pressure and strong chemicals to get it done quickly.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i
Quote:
No worries, I know it may be hard to see especially if you are on a phone or tablet or what ever. The small fan button used to lower or turn off the fan setting has been erased. All that is there is a basically a white clover.
I bet you that this button and the ones in the console comes from a cheap/crappy supplier vs the ones like in the steering wheel and doors that I use way alot more and they are still perfect!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emimix View Post
I bet you that this button and the ones in the console comes from a cheap/crappy supplier vs the ones like in the steering wheel and doors that I use way alot more and they are still perfect!
From what I can tell it's actually a sticker with a thin plastic coating to protect the sticker. Once the coating wears off the sticker is subject to abrasion. In my Lexus there are no stickers on the buttons, it looks like, a normal button. After 16 years, none of them have peeled off or gotten discolored or replaced.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
From what I can tell it's actually a sticker with a thin plastic coating to protect the sticker. Once the coating wears off the sticker is subject to abrasion. In my Lexus there are no stickers on the buttons, it looks like, a normal button. After 16 years, none of them have peeled off or gotten discolored or replaced.
I know you're very meticulous and have a major case of OCD (in a good way ), but are you 100% certain that you didn't have this issue since you bought the car and only noticing it now? Possible manufacturing defect? Probably no, but I just had to throw it out there...

2011 528i Space Gray Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / Dark Wood Trim / Prem Pack / Nav / PDC / USB-iPod
Old 09-11-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I know you're very meticulous and have a major case of OCD (in a good way ), but are you 100% certain that you didn't have this issue since you bought the car and only noticing it now? Possible manufacturing defect? Probably no, but I just had to throw it out there...
I am 100% positive that this isn't a manufacturing defect. The button didn't completely get erased over night, there are 4 small tiny little stickers signifying a fan blade, it slowly lost a little piece at a time.
Again, while other manufacturers use paint, BMW uses fooking stickers. That's Bull$hit. I've looked at other buttons on the car, some appear to be painted and others look like stickers.