Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-24-2011, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011- X3
Droid 3 bluetooth compatibility?

My husband (328xi, 2010) and I (X3, 2011) are considering purchasing Motorola Droid 3 phones from Verizon. Neither the BMW dealer, the website, or Verizon can tell us if this phone is compatible with our Bluetooth versions. Has anyone paired a Droid 3 and have you experienced any problems? (We are not too fussy...as long as the connection is clear and our address books can be uploaded we'll be satisfied.)
Ads by Google
Old 08-25-2011, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Z4 35i 2011 X3 35i
I have a Droid X and it pairs with my 2011 X3 and 2010 Z4 with no problems
Old 08-25-2011, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 550i xdrive
I have the Droid Incredible 2 and it works perfectly.
2008 535XI | Space Gray | Black Dakota Leather | Navigation | SIRIUS Satellite Radio | Premium package| Heated front seats | iPod Adapter | R-Dash License Plate lamps | LED Interior kit | 19" VMR VB3's Super Silver staggered| General Exclaim UHP's | RDSport Trunk Spoiler | M-Tech kit | BSW Stage I Audio Upgrade |
2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i | Alpine White | Black Nevada Leather | Technology package | Premium package | Cold Weather package | Park Distance Control and Backup camera | M Sport package |
Old 08-26-2011, 05:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedoc67 View Post
I have a Droid X and it pairs with my 2011 X3 and 2010 Z4 with no problems
My Droid X pairs fine and downloads the phone book but does not stream music via bluetooth.
(I have the tech package and nav)

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. (Mark Twain)

any spelling or gramitical errors on my part are just glitches that appear to those that are not pproperly keyed into my code generator. If this occurs, pleas PM me for an updated deKription key.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011- X3
Just paired my new Motorola DROID 3 with my 2011 X3 and very disappointed! The phone functions thru the bluetooth but none of my phonebook entries will transfer. Now I need to return phone. pay re-stocking fee and find a new phone. What a hassle!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:08 PM
First bimmer

Mein Auto: X3 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by harplayr View Post
My Droid X pairs fine ...k but does not stream music via bluetooth.
Are you sure? My Nexus One does stream music, but BMW's A2DP is not very good.

Try turning off the bluetooth on your phone before getting in the car, then after your car is started, turn on the bluetooth on your phone, then go in the car's multimedia menu, and try to manually activate bluetooth audio.

This usually works for me, although sometimes I need to repeat the procedure 1 to 5 times
Old 09-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
You should get the Droid Bionic or an iPhone
Old 09-19-2011, 01:11 PM
First bimmer

Mein Auto: X3 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
You should get the Droid Bionic or an iPhone
Actually, the problem must be from BMW since my Nexus One was working great with my last car (aftermarket Pioneer) and is still working great with my standalone Altec Lansing Sound Blade.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi
DROID 3 Bluetooth Problems

I have a 2010 BMW 328 xi sedan and the Bluetooth never dropped a call with my Blackberry Tour over the past 2 years. Recently got the DROID 3 and this has been a big problem since I got the device about 2 months ago, as I make lots of business and personal calls during frequent long drives. The call isn't lost -- just the handsfree is lost -- but then I need to unlock the phone and activate the speaker phone while driving (not good). Only way to get back to hands-free is to turn off Bluetooth widget and turn on again to re-set. Motorola says to unpair/re-pair phone to car, but it doesn't help. They would like me to do a factory re-set, but I'd rather stick a small, sharp pin in my eye than re-set all the different POP and Exchange server emails now finally running (plus multiple apps). BMW says the problem is with the phone and Verizon has no idea what to do and says to speak to Motorola. You get the picture...I'm just glad to hear I'm not going crazy...Wish someone from Verizon or Motoroala would take charge of this software glitch, wrestle it to the ground and develop a solution? I'm starting to feel nostalgic about the Blackberry...There was a very recent software update to the DROID 3 that addresses many identified issues -- to System version: 5.6.890.XT862.Verizon.en.US -- but it isn't clear if this problem has been addressed in the announcement (they do mention fixes for "Data Widgets" but not sure if Bluetooth was included).
Old 11-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROIDED View Post
I have a 2010 BMW 328 xi sedan and the Bluetooth never dropped a call with my Blackberry Tour over the past 2 years. Recently got the DROID 3 and this has been a big problem since I got the device about 2 months ago, as I make lots of business and personal calls during frequent long drives. The call isn't lost -- just the handsfree is lost -- but then I need to unlock the phone and activate the speaker phone while driving (not good). Only way to get back to hands-free is to turn off Bluetooth widget and turn on again to re-set. Motorola says to unpair/re-pair phone to car, but it doesn't help. They would like me to do a factory re-set, but I'd rather stick a small, sharp pin in my eye than re-set all the different POP and Exchange server emails now finally running (plus multiple apps). BMW says the problem is with the phone and Verizon has no idea what to do and says to speak to Motorola. You get the picture...I'm just glad to hear I'm not going crazy...Wish someone from Verizon or Motoroala would take charge of this software glitch, wrestle it to the ground and develop a solution? I'm starting to feel nostalgic about the Blackberry...There was a very recent software update to the DROID 3 that addresses many identified issues -- to System version: 5.6.890.XT862.Verizon.en.US -- but it isn't clear if this problem has been addressed in the announcement (they do mention fixes for "Data Widgets" but not sure if Bluetooth was included).
I just saw this post and my situation is nearly identical. I had a BB Tour for a few years, and it was flawless with BMW's BT system (via iDrive). I got the D3 the day it came out. It transfers the phonebook easily enough, and has generally been flawless. However, every once in a while, it will drop the connection (just as you are describing). Its only happened two or three times, but each time it has been annoying as hell.

The one thing I've noticed is that this seems to happen most often when I have WiFi enabled, so I've often wondered whether the problem is related to WiFI interference.

I eventually brought the phone to the dealer and complained, since the D3 is on BMW's list of approved phones. Surprisingly, the dealer then replaced the entire TCU. The invoice notes that the tech tried to pair other approved phones and was unsuccessful and also noted that "I MIB couldn't find TCU."

I have not noticed any change in performance since this happened (just a week ago).

One other oddity is that, sometimes, when I get out of the car and walk away (breaking the BT connection), I notice that the BT icon is still "blue" like the phone was still connected.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
DROID 3 Software Update and Bluetooth Problems

There was a pretty major software update for the DROID 3 a few weeks ago that seems to have fixed the problem I was having with the unstable BT connection in my 328xi. Calls are now stable and are no longer being dropped by the BT...Don't know what they did, but it has been several weeks of regular use and I'm pretty confident at this point that the problem was addressed..Here's the announcement information from Verizon:

Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update, 5.6.890.XT862.Verizon.en.US,
for your DROID 3 by Motorola

http://support.verizonwireless.com/p...te/droid_3.pdf

Try this update before having your car parts replaced, etc...
Old 11-16-2011, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbage View Post
Are you sure? My Nexus One does stream music, but BMW's A2DP is not very good.

Try turning off the bluetooth on your phone before getting in the car, then after your car is started, turn on the bluetooth on your phone, then go in the car's multimedia menu, and try to manually activate bluetooth audio.

This usually works for me, although sometimes I need to repeat the procedure 1 to 5 times
+1

I verified my Nexus One could stream music via bluetooth on the 2012 X3 with Tech Package that I test drove...so if there is a problem with your device I don't think it is Android-specific.

I thought it actually sounded pretty good...better than I thought it would.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROIDED View Post
There was a pretty major software update for the DROID 3 a few weeks ago that seems to have fixed the problem I was having with the unstable BT connection in my 328xi. Calls are now stable and are no longer being dropped by the BT...Don't know what they did, but it has been several weeks of regular use and I'm pretty confident at this point that the problem was addressed..Here's the announcement information from Verizon:

Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update, 5.6.890.XT862.Verizon.en.US,
for your DROID 3 by Motorola

http://support.verizonwireless.com/p...te/droid_3.pdf

Try this update before having your car parts replaced, etc...
I'm well aware of this update. I was part of the Motorola "soak" test and had the pre-release version of the update before it was available to the general public. It had no impact on my issues.

Moto, btw, has not reported addressing any BT issues with that update.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 11-16-2011 at 03:40 PM.