Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Thanks for the Earth Day rant Psych but I'm with Garbaj on this one.
Get the government out of my face.
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats

Prior BMWs
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black

Other
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 08-26-2011, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRBob View Post
Thanks for the Earth Day rant Psych but I'm with Garbaj on this one.
Get the government out of my face.
Ever see what unrestrained laisez-fare industrialization can do? Did you see the Beijing Olympics? You know, the one where every single day was so poluted you couldn't see more than 100 yards? Centralized regulation of the rape of the earth is necesary unless you like this....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Industrial%20influences%202.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	290519   Click image for larger version

Name:	china_air_pollution_3.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	290520  

Last edited by PsychDoc1; 08-26-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011-AW 535i Cinimon Int
OH OH, I started an environemental rant thread.....LOL
Old 08-26-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc1 View Post
Ever see what unrestrained laisez-fare industrialization can do? Did you see the Beijing Olympics? You know, the one where every single day was so poluted you couldn't see more than 100 yards? Centralized regulation of the rape of the earth is necesary unless you like this....
I hate it when that happens...
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats

Prior BMWs
Cosmos Black

Other
Old 08-26-2011, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2011-AW 535i Cinimon Int
I just went to hug a tree, and feel better now
Old 08-26-2011, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARBAJ View Post
I tell you what "pardner" it won't EVER be illegal in Texas... Start it up, and let it get warm or cool inside. Nothing makes me more mad than enviros/social justice freaks dictating what I should or should not do...
"Chilling" isn't it?
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 08-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARBAJ View Post
I tell you what "pardner" it won't EVER be illegal in Texas... Start it up, and let it get warm or cool inside. Nothing makes me more mad than enviros/social justice freaks dictating what I should or should not do...
Tell you what. Stop telling women what to do with their pregnancies, and the guys who share a house down the street what they can do in the privacy of their own homes, and we can talk about the role of government involvement in people's lives.

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
Old 08-26-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet View Post
Tell you what. Stop telling women what to do with their pregnancies, and the guys who share a house down the street what they can do in the privacy of their own homes, and we can talk about the role of government involvement in people's lives.
Bravo!!!!

You nailed it Planet.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:56 PM

2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 08-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Familienwappen

Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
[/quote]Gotta love your moniker, GARBAJ. Kind of like the whole world is your personal GARBAJ heap, huh?
[/quote]

Well what a pleasant enlightened comment from a highly educated person. Oh, wait! Pysch is a soft science and it is widely known that greenies ignore hard data (in the hard sciences) when it doesn't fit their agenda, e.g. the effects of the last one day Iceland volcano eruption that negated all global efforts for three years against warming [and that doesn't even add in the the other eruptions that happen around the world all the time. And then there's the latest data from the new NASA satellite that shows even the environmental radical's most conservative global warming model is so far off it's a joke. That's why Gore went apoplectic in CO just the other week. There's some more smoke for your mirrors. Glass house and all that.

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Old 08-26-2011, 05:35 PM

Gotta love your moniker, GARBAJ. Kind of like the whole world is your personal GARBAJ heap, huh?
[/quote]

Well what a pleasant enlightened comment from a highly educated person. Oh, wait! Pysch is a soft science and it is widely known that greenies ignore hard data (in the hard sciences) when it doesn't fit their agenda, e.g. the effects of the last one day Iceland volcano eruption that negated all global efforts for three years against warming [and that doesn't even add in the the other eruptions that happen around the world all the time. And then there's the latest data from the new NASA satellite that shows even the environmental radical's most conservative global warming model is so far off it's a joke. That's why Gore went apoplectic in CO just the other week. There's some more smoke for your mirrors. Glass house and all that.[/QUOTE]

Hey sarge. Because I know you're such a renowned "hard" scientist, mind telling me what happened to the polar ice caps?

Oh, that's right, who cares? Just as long as we can preserve our god-given right to rape the environment at our will.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ice_compare.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	290573  
Old 08-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Familienwappen

Well, one reasonable theory that has been put forth (imo) is that we (humans) haven't been around long enough yet to know just how long and interactive the different cycles of this planet are. Before you jump on my case about nuclear dating do a serious research about the assumptions and accepted constants in that regard and you might come away with a different view on that dating method.
Have the caps receeded a bit over the past few years? Sure. But the Polar bear population contrary to the hoakum spewing fanatics has actually increased. Could it be because the caps are smaller and it's now easier for the bears to get game or is there something else at work? Bottom line what I'm trying to say is stop all the spewing of junk science and reactionary mandates from unproven models and incomplete data. There is plenty of good out there that can be done like what Ohio did in stopping the burning of the Cuyahoga river. BTW the fish are back in lake Erie and they are edible again.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:55 PM

The Arctic ice cap is shrinking.
The Antarctic ice cap is growing.

And last winter was cold as hell. Where's that remote starter when I need it?..
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats

Prior BMWs
Cosmos Black

Other

Last edited by BobRBob; 08-26-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:32 PM

Actually:

The fact that the release of CO2 has increased drastically during the last 100 years is very well documented from several reliable sources.

The fact that atmospheric concentration has risen drastically over the last 100 years is very well documented from several reliable sources.

The fact that the natural means to sequester CO2 has shrunken drastically over the same time is well documented from several reliable sources.

The fact that CO2 concentration is a big factor along with methane from cattle, in raising the temperature is well documented from several reliable sources.

There is no junk science in this.

The junk as it were, is in the counter-arguments made by those who's interest is in opposing climate legislation for what can only be seen as their own myopic and selfish reasons... and the naivete of those willing to support the counter-position out of ignorance and paranoia, or because they are paid to. But it really all comes to tin, when we see that those that oppose usually do so zealously, instead of acting at least as if it 'might be true' and thus act responsibly just in case it is for real. It really looks a lot like the emperor's new clothes. And as we pointlessly argue at length with the disingenuous and their minions, the future looms closer. It may already be too late to fix it. If so, then does anybody really win?

Q

Last edited by Quacker; 08-26-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Actually:

The fact that the release of CO2 has increased drastically during the last 100 years is very well documented from several reliable sources.

The fact that atmospheric concentration has risen drastically over the last 100 years is very well documented from several reliable sources.

The fact that the natural means to sequester CO2 has shrunken drastically over the same time is well documented from several reliable sources.

The fact that CO2 concentration is a big factor along with methane in raising the temperature is well documented from several reliable sources.

The junk as it were, is in the counter-arguments made by those who's interest is in opposing climate legislation for what can only be seen as their own myopic and selfish reasons... and the naivete of those willing to support the counter-position out of ignorance and paranoia. But it really all comes to tin, when we see that those that oppose usually do so zealously, instead of acting at least as if it 'might be true' and thus act responsibly just in case it is for real. It really looks a lot like the emperor's new clothes. And as we pointlessly argue at length with the disingenuous and their minions, the future looms closer. It may already too late to fix it. If so, then does anybody really win?

Q
To quote David Byrne, "stop making sense."

It makes the natives restless.

***Sent from the inerwebs using technology that's way above my pay grade***
Old 08-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Familienwappen

Question: What was it before CO2 and what is it going to be after, and after that?

Old 08-26-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgtMel View Post
Question: What was it before CO2 and what is it going to be after, and after that?
You might consider the ozone hole as the one before - but that was a small one and, a-hemm..., government regulation has abated the problem.

Climate change in full bloom will bring so many big problems, many life-threatening, that you won't need anything else to keep you busy for a very long time
Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Today I was behind a car that had no fewer than 8 pro-gun stickers on the back including, "keep honking, I'm reloading" and "If Guns Kill People, Pencils Make Spelling Mistakes".

Then I pulled by the driver and he had his hair pulled back in a girl's plastic barrette.

These arguments make about as much sense as that dichotomy.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-26-2011, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i M Sport
I'm still awaiting my new 550 but in my 3 I press the engine stop, which leaves the radio on only until I open the door. I never found it to be an issue -- kinda one of those things you learn to ignore, like when cars first started leaving the headlights on for 30 seconds after exiting the vehicle. For a while it was odd but then people just got used to it.

p.s. I like the double-pull of the door but I have had passengers who stayed in the car pressing the window switch, trying to find the unlock button after I got out. Always funny to hear first time passengers panic a little thinking they were locked in. Haha

Last edited by soundmind; 08-26-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Well, we all know that the data from the IPCC is completely reliable and verifiable, as the ClimateGate e-mails have proven.

And of course, new research that supports that non-human factors have a much larger role in the climate than previously thought.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08...first_results/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05...nce/page3.html

I also find it very "Al Gorish" that many who believe the AGW malarkey tend to have lifestyles that don't align with their green thinking. Talking about things like sustainability and efficiency while on a forum dedicated to performance vehicles is like Jenna Jameson advocatin abstinence while accepting an award for best DP at the AVN awards.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alewifebp View Post

I also find it very "Al Gorish" that many who believe the AGW malarkey tend to have lifestyles that don't align with their green thinking. Talking about things like sustainability and efficiency while on a forum dedicated to performance vehicles is like Jenna Jameson advocatin abstinence while accepting an award for best DP at the AVN awards.
So if some moron with a cigarette in his mouth tells you not to smoke because it's dangerous, does that negate the message?

***Sent from the interwebs on technology that's way beyond my pay grade***
Old 08-27-2011, 04:47 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Today I was behind a car that had no fewer than 8 pro-gun stickers on the back including, "keep honking, I'm reloading" and "If Guns Kill People, Pencils Make Spelling Mistakes".

Then I pulled by the driver and he had his hair pulled back in a girl's plastic barrette.

These arguments make about as much sense as that dichotomy.
I agree. Unfortunately this is the problem with politics. If you're a conservative you have to get in bed with the religious nuts and the trigger happy bozos. If you're a liberal you've to get in bed with a bunch of hippies, drug users and people who want to live off the state.

This is why I am an ardent supporter of making voting rights proportional to tax contribution. It will depower the morons.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Old 08-27-2011, 05:05 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I agree. Unfortunately this is the problem with politics. If you're a conservative you have to get in bed with the religious nuts and the trigger happy bozos. If you're a liberal you've to get in bed with a bunch of hippies, drug users and people who want to live off the state.

This is why I am an ardent supporter of making voting rights proportional to tax contribution. It will depower the morons.
All parties should be abolished or at least re-thought. There is way too much pressure to align one's thoughts (candidate) based on the money coming into a party. Independent thinking is gone on both sides.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-27-2011, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport
Oh good grief, I wake up to this? Going back to sleep. Wake me up when the car thread starts back up
Old 08-27-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Actually:

The fact that CO2 concentration is a big factor along with methane from cattle, in raising the temperature is well documented from several reliable sources.

The junk as it were, is in the counter-arguments made by those who's interest is in opposing climate legislation for what can only be seen as their own myopic and selfish reasons... and the naivete of those willing to support the counter-position out of ignorance and paranoia, or because they are paid to. But it really all comes to tin, when we see that those that oppose usually do so zealously, instead of acting at least as if it 'might be true' and thus act responsibly just in case it is for real. It really looks a lot like the emperor's new clothes. And as we pointlessly argue at length with the disingenuous and their minions, the future looms closer. It may already be too late to fix it. If so, then does anybody really win?

Q
Give me strength.
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats

Prior BMWs
Cosmos Black

Other