Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw 2007 x3
Bad for the environment -- don't think it is allowed here

George allan
Old 08-28-2011, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1Trauma View Post
On topic, if you don't like pushing the button twice to turn off the car, push it once, get out of the car to the sound of your favorite music, and when you lock the car... it turns off.
Thanks for the heads up. I thought I tried this a few weeks ago but apparently not. Gave it a shot a few minutes ago and yep everything shut down. No more double pushes for me! Also, thanks for getting back to car stuff - there are political venues within this site.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Allan View Post
Bad for the environment -- don't think it is allowed here

George allan
What? No 5 series sedan allowed in Ontario? WTF?????
Old 08-28-2011, 12:16 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Turn off auto door locks in the iDrive
Who wants to drive around with the locks unlocked? Just get used to the double pull, no big deal, IMO.

Quote:
No you don't. Hold down power button and it will shut off. If not, push it once, then push in key to eject. Radio turns off
F10 does not respond to a single long press of the STOP button. Must press 2 times. There is no key to eject, the F10 has no key port on the dashboard. You can press once to go to radio readiness, then when you lock the car, it will totally shut down.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 08-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Who wants to drive around with the locks unlocked? Just get used to the double pull, no big deal, IMO.
Personally, I've never seen the need to keep my doors locked while driving around. Only in certain neighborhoods do I actually lock them.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Cameron

Mein Auto: 135i Coupe
Regarding remote start... I have seen several interviews with BMW execs and engineers, and they all claim the remote start can be treacherous on an engine, despite how convenient it may seem. If you were to do a remote start and then get in after a few mins and drive away, then it would be fine, but many Americans use this feature to start their car anywhere from 5-20 minutes or more in the mornings to warm up the car. BMW has always claimed that the best thing you can do for your motor is to start it up, wait a minute, and then drive off moderately. Apparently letting it just idle from a very cold start isn't good for the engine...
2008 650i Convertible- Sold
2007 550i- Sold
2006 750i- Sold
2004 545i- Returned/Lemon Law
2001 330ci- Sold
Old 08-28-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineCountry View Post
Regarding remote start... I have seen several interviews with BMW execs and engineers, and they all claim the remote start can be treacherous on an engine, despite how convenient it may seem. If you were to do a remote start and then get in after a few mins and drive away, then it would be fine, but many Americans use this feature to start their car anywhere from 5-20 minutes or more in the mornings to warm up the car. BMW has always claimed that the best thing you can do for your motor is to start it up, wait a minute, and then drive off moderately. Apparently letting it just idle from a very cold start isn't good for the engine...
But it's SO COOL!!! to be able to press my remote start from my kitchen and watch my car start up!! Of course, many forum members probably park in a closed garage, so what, do they go outside to open the garage door, then go back inside and press the remote start?? Oh, and if I had a GM car, my wife could start my car from her cell phone on her AIRPLANE -- so coolllll!!!

What's the world coming to? Go out, start the car, wait 10 seconds and drive off. The heat will provide hot air in about 4 minutes, and just turn on your heated seats for the first few minutes.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 08-28-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:

A better question might be, why drive around with the doors locked? It seems completely pointless - unless you've got the armor package, in which case you have problems that most people don't. And, by the way, when people assert that a particular feature is not well designed or thought out, "Get used to it" isn't really an answer to that.

Last edited by raleedy; 08-28-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011-AW 535i Cinimon Int
BOY OH BOY

The good news is I got all the answers to my questions, and thank you all for your feedback

The bad news is we have an environmental war ready to break out ..LOL
Old 08-28-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
A better question might be, why drive around with the doors locked? It seems completely pointless - unless you've got the armor package, in which case you have problems that most people don't. And, by the way, when people assert that a particular feature is not well designed or thought out, "Get used to it" isn't really an answer to that.
I would assert that the double-pull solution is well thought out. Many cars will not unlock a locked door at all by pulling the door handle. BMW unlocks the door with the first pull. If you don't want to pull it twice, hit the central unlock button when you shut down -- there is an alternative.

As for locking doors while driving, it's kind of like wearing a seat belt. It helps prevent the door from inadvertently opening during some crash scenarios, as well as providing a more secure cabin from undesired entry by outsiders.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I would assert that the double-pull solution is well thought out. Many cars will not unlock a locked door at all by pulling the door handle. BMW unlocks the door with the first pull. If you don't want to pull it twice, hit the central unlock button when you shut down -- there is an alternative.

As for locking doors while driving, it's kind of like wearing a seat belt. It helps prevent the door from inadvertently opening during some crash scenarios, as well as providing a more secure cabin from undesired entry by outsiders.
You make some valid points here - the double pull is a little weird at times but not without purpose. I just wish the central locking button was on the drivers door like every other car I currently have or had. My wife has to wait for me to get in to unlock the door. Of course I could just pull out the key fob but that defeats the purpose of comfort access. Probably can adjust that in idrive - time to pull out the manual..
Old 08-28-2011, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1Trauma View Post
On topic, if you don't like pushing the button twice to turn off the car, push it once, get out of the car to the sound of your favorite music, and when you lock the car... it turns off.
Wait a second, as I am awaiting my order to show up any day now, are you telling me the damn radio will not shut off at all unless I double push or lock my doors??? It will just keep playing for hours with doors closed (but unlocked)??? WTF? I must be reading it wrong.

LOGMYMPG sponsored by ckvideo.ca
Old 08-28-2011, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Yogi - it will go off by itself after about 8 minutes. I believe, but I am not perfectly sure that it may stay on continuously, as long as the fob is in the car.
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 08-28-2011, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
Wait a second, as I am awaiting my order to show up any day now, are you telling me the damn radio will not shut off at all unless I double push or lock my doors??? It will just keep playing for hours with doors closed (but unlocked)??? WTF? I must be reading it wrong.
Fear not. Your radio will only play for about 6-7 minutes and will then turn itself off.
Not a problem.

***Sent from the interwebs on technology that's way beyond my pay grade***
Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulunderdog View Post
My wife has to wait for me to get in to unlock the door. Of course I could just pull out the key fob but that defeats the purpose of comfort access. Probably can adjust that in idrive - time to pull out the manual..
Yes, you can set CA to unlock all doors when you touch the door handle. I declined CA on my new 535i, but when I had it on my 335i, I always used the fob button anyway when I had passengers with me approaching the car -- it makes it so they don't wait at all, even while you touch the door handle.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Yogi - it will go off by itself after about 8 minutes. I believe, but I am not perfectly sure that it may stay on continuously, as long as the fob is in the car.
No, it goes off after 7-8 minutes whether the key fob is in the car or not.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
ok, thanks guys. whew..., got scared there for a second. Begs a question though, why such a long time? Shouldn't there be a setting for that (ie. 0 minutes = instantaneous radio off, or X amount of minutes?) if anything, rather than picking such an arbitrary number (6-8 minutes)? I presume this is a rhetorical question...

LOGMYMPG sponsored by ckvideo.ca

Last edited by yogi799; 08-28-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
I think you already know this is only an issue if you leave your car unlocked. The radio goes off when you lock the car. Do you intend to leave your car unlocked?
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats

Prior BMWs
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black

Other
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 08-29-2011, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgtMel View Post
Don't have a link off hand. Believe it was the CALIPSO bird that just sent the data back a couple/few months ago. If I recall correctly the first and best article I saw about this was at KurzweilAI.

Much appreciated. Will take a look.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I'll give you the thing about someone trying to get in except that if that someone has or might have a gun, I think you're going to let her in either way, and you may not want to be pulling on the door handle too many times to do it.

As for inadvertent door opening in a crash: that's surely one reason to wear a seat belt, but more importantly I think the BMW door lock contributes nothing in this area. The doors, door latches, door frames and door handles are carefully designed to eliminate this risk, whether or not the doors are locked. (Incidentally, in a BMW crash forces unlock the locked doors by design, along with turning on some lights and explosively disconnecting the main battery at its positive terminal.)
Old 08-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Familienwappen

Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
Quote:
... (Incidentally, in a BMW crash forces unlock the locked doors by design, along with turning on some lights and explosively disconnecting the main battery at its positive terminal.)
Can you provide a source for this phrase. I'd like to learn more about this.

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Old 08-29-2011, 04:06 PM

If you search the web for "Battery Safety Terminal" you'll find some scattered information. This leaves me wondering whether this feature, introduced by BMW in 1997, is still used.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
(Incidentally, in a BMW crash forces unlock the locked doors by design, along with turning on some lights and explosively disconnecting the main battery at its positive terminal.)
I knew you were going to say that. The doors unlock after the crash is "completed". That is different than the door handle being forced open during the crash itself, which may expose the driver and/or passengers to additional risk. Don't lock them if you don't want to -- I'll continue to lock mine.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:

Several years ago I stopped at an intersection for a stop sign and, before I knew it, a crazy person jumped in the car with me and started telling me where to take her. Then she started helping herself to change in my cup holder. Fortunately, she wasn't dangerous, just a bit off the rails, babbling about God and salvation and the like. When I wouldn't take her where she wanted to go and prevented her from taking my money, she got out by herself.

Since then, I have always kept my doors locked when driving.
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats

Prior BMWs
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black

Other
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 08-29-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRBob View Post
Several years ago I stopped at an intersection for a stop sign and, before I knew it, a crazy person jumped in the car with me and started telling me where to take her. Then she started helping herself to change in my cup holder. Fortunately, she wasn't dangerous, just a bit off the rails, babbling about God and salvation and the like. When I wouldn't take her where she wanted to go and prevented her from taking my money, she got out by herself.

Since then, I have always kept my doors locked when driving.
So you're saying you had Michele Bachmann in your car.
;-)