BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

new 540i msport project , pulling engine :-(

6K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  bluebee 
#1 ·
so Im new to BMW and i just got in deep with a very affordable 1999 540i ......
the car is returning compression into the cooling system ...I did some research and determined that its probably bad headgaskets and possibly cracked heads. After getting a second opinion from a local shop (Accent BMW ) and getting a price quote of over 3 GRAND i decided to take on the project myself ...

i have pics of todays progress .... i dont really know how to load the images...i hope they load...

#3 ·
You can't upload the pictures on here since this site doesn't have a storage to offer for users except for emails.
You need to sign up at photobucket.com or a similar site and then upload the pictures there. Once you upload them, each pic will have a direct link provided by the site you choose. Copy that link and then come to this site and click on the yellow icon next to the earth icon. If you hoover the mouse over it, it will say insert image. Click on that and then delete everything in the box and then paste the direct link you copied from the site where you uploaded the images on.

Hope this help :)

#7 ·
bimmerpost people are much more mechanically inclined. They love threads like these and have tons of knowledge to share

#9 ·
well the plan is to tear into the heads now that the engine is out ... im going to asess the damage and go from there.... im hoping that milled heads new gaskets and and service the vanos does the trick im a little scared about putting it all back together after i get the heads back from the machine shop ....

#11 ·
I wasnt able to take the Flywheel of today because i didnt have a TORX T60 so i wasnt able to place the engine on a engine stand ...as soon as i have the rest of the DAMM bmw special tools i will place the engine on a stand and pull the heads ... Im looking i didnt have to buy the cam timing tools im going to borrow some from a local bmw shop...ill keep posting my progress and potential problems here....THanks FOR EVEYONES REPLIES

#13 · (Edited)
T60 isn't a special tool bud. :)
Great that you can borrow the timing tools. That's money in your pocket big time.

While the engine is out you should look into getting the timing chain guides, tensioner, and a bit in the VANOS (the v8 guys replace when they're doing that stuff) replaced. Maybe a good time for some headers? Port and polish at least?

Keep us posted! Always cool to see a head being pulled.

TIS is the factory manual that the dealers use. Got all the torque specs, some decent instructions, some awful instructions. Available from the internets (free) or eBay.

#17 ·
T60 isn't a special tool bud. :)
Great that you can borrow the timing tools. That's money in your pocket big time.

While the engine is out you should look into getting the timing chain guides, tensioner, and a bit in the VANOS (the v8 guys replace when they're doing that stuff) replaced. Maybe a good time for some headers? Port and polish at least?

Keep us posted! Always cool to see a head being pulled.

TIS is the factory manual that the dealers use. Got all the torque specs, some decent instructions, some awful instructions. Available from the internets (free) or eBay.
Well I want to stay with in some sort of budget... However if all goes well I will get the heads milled and port and polished ....if anyone here knows of a good inexpensive exhaust solution please post .... I have the whole exhaust off right now ... So I might as well look into that... I will also more then likely replace the clutch ....

#15 ·
The T-60 to pull the flywheel is a special tool, your standard T-60 won't work on the V8's.
The reduced shaft size is required or you won't get the head into the bolt.
I borrowed one from my local BMW dealer.

Attachments

#23 ·
ive been around cars since i was a kid my dad owns a small shop so pulling the engine was the easy part.... Fixing the problem and making it all work again is the problem .... As far as the pics go , it only took me about five minutes.... I had to use my laptop other then my ipad ... :thumbup:

#21 ·
Well i havent pulled the heads yet .....im gonna take the heads to get pressure checked and inspected and milled im worried about the block i hope it is nice and level on the surface... Also i hope none of the threads on the head bolts get stripped out of the block ... Because if so im kinda screwed...

#26 ·
so i have some updates .... i finally got all the tools and parts and i started tearing in to the engine....i removed the front timing cover after having to make a special tool to counter hold the crank hub...i have everything off ready for the heads to come off and go to the machine shop ...

Attachments

#28 ·
so before i finish dismantaling the heads is there any thing i have to do with the Vanos ??????? I have all the special tools to re-time it once the heads are ready ... but is there something about the disassembly that im missing ..... or do i just pull them right off??????

#29 ·
So today after pulling the heads i noticed one of the heads had alot of carbon buit up on the surface were the valves make contact with the cylinder ........ I looked further a noticed the piston that matched up to it had the same carbon built up.....the cylinder was damaged and i pulled the piston and noticed were it was also damaged i posted the pics......

Attachments

#31 ·
the car is returning compression into the cooling system ...
Did it overheat?

im having trouble loading the images can someone help ???
By the time I saw this, you have that rectified.

For the future, this, from the bestlinks, may help:
- How to post, shrink, modify, edit, annotate, merge, & upload pictures for posting here (1)

You need to sign up at photobucket.com
Photobucket is fine, but you don't need anything more than to have the photos on your hard drive as explained in the reference above.

Bimmerfest stores them for you.

i do have the bentley manuals ..... but TIS ????
They're both on the web.

For example, from the bestlinks:
- How to access the BMW TIS for technical service bulletins online (1) (2) & an on-line WDS (1)

The T-60 to pull the flywheel is a special tool
any idea how much it cost to buy the T60?
Is that tool the same as what cn90 asked about here?
- Torx60 socket for clutch job, where to get it cheap?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.