Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-26-2011, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5 sport 4.4i
Exclamation Another E53 with air suspension issues

I purchased my second X5 lastweek, the morning after we purchased I went to the car wash. When I got out of the truck I heard a loud hissing coming from the back driver side tire sounded like I drove over a big nail and had sprung a bad leak in the tire. It slowly got quieter and eventually stopped. I noticed this sound when I was driving home with the windows down. The day following this I was at a red light when my "self leveling suspension inact. light illuminated. Brought the truck home parked in garage started researching; by the time I got outside to check the 7.5 and 30 amp fuse in the hatch the driver side rear wheel well was basically sitting on the tire. I guess it completely collapsed. The car was shut off no key in ignition and it raised up on its own about 10 mins later, followed by the loud hissing noise I had heard at the car wash previously. Within 15 mins the truck was back down to the tire again completely collapsed. If I start the truck it doesn't pump up that side it remains down and I cannot hear any compressor. I have the truck booked in to BMW stealership on Tuesday but wondering if anyone has any insight to what my problem is? I'm hoping driverside airbag and the relay that kicks out the compressor so it doesn't fry? Am I on track with that guess??
Ads by Google
Old 08-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03x5 View Post
I purchased my second X5 lastweek, the morning after we purchased I went to the car wash. When I got out of the truck I heard a loud hissing coming from the back driver side tire sounded like I drove over a big nail and had sprung a bad leak in the tire. It slowly got quieter and eventually stopped. I noticed this sound when I was driving home with the windows down. The day following this I was at a red light when my "self leveling suspension inact. light illuminated. Brought the truck home parked in garage started researching; by the time I got outside to check the 7.5 and 30 amp fuse in the hatch the driver side rear wheel well was basically sitting on the tire. I guess it completely collapsed. The car was shut off no key in ignition and it raised up on its own about 10 mins later, followed by the loud hissing noise I had heard at the car wash previously. Within 15 mins the truck was back down to the tire again completely collapsed. If I start the truck it doesn't pump up that side it remains down and I cannot hear any compressor. I have the truck booked in to BMW stealership on Tuesday but wondering if anyone has any insight to what my problem is? I'm hoping driverside airbag and the relay that kicks out the compressor so it doesn't fry? Am I on track with that guess??
Known problem your air bladder for rear suspension is shot, if indeed it's that then probably around $800-$1k to replace.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:48 PM

Just an update, I called the stealership to order the part in because i'm pretty sure it's that bladder or airbag. The part is $364.90. I went outside this morning started the truck after I removed the spare tire to see if I could hear the compressor running and sure enough it pumped up the back driver side to normal height, followed again by slight hissing but the truck seemed to be fine. Went back out 30 mins later and again it's gone back down. So i'm hoping just the airbag needs to be replaced and the compressor will be fine. 800-1000? 362 plus maybe 2 or 3 hrs labour shouldn't work out to be that much will it?
Old 08-27-2011, 02:04 AM

I really hope i'm not getting annoying here, but I want to update guys so they can problem shoot, tonite I get in the truck start it and the driver side rear pumps up and the warning light of susp. inact. isn't illuminated anymore however the bag is still deflating. i'm hoping this will cause less grief once it gets to the BMW dealer nextweek. Will keep you guys posted.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW X5 4.4
Unhappy X5 air suspensiom

I have similar issues with my E53 2002 BMW X5 4.4i:
The rear air suspension gave a " Air supension inact." warning.
The rear driver side was apparently leaking. My mechanic replaced both rear air springs.
He mentioned the air compressor overheated but thought it would be OK.
After driving the X5 for a day, the warning is back on.
I am concerned the expensive air compressor will now have to be replaced.

Please update the progress of your problem!
Thanks..
Old 09-19-2011, 08:57 PM

Wink

Hey guys, sorry for the delay on my problem. The dealership quoted me $1890.oo CDN, to replace both rear air shocks and 2 level sensors. I laughed and told him to replace the driver side rear air shock and we'll take things from there, he said it will not work as the other side is blown as well and the code will not go away unless i replace both sensors. After I insisted they first only replace the driverside airbag he agreed he would. Well I picked the truck up the nextday, the code is gone the truck rides great and zero issues since. We all have to remember these service advisors are trained salesman and want your money! Hope this helps someone out along the way.

Regards,
03x5 from frigid Canada : )
Old 09-20-2011, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW X5 4.4
Cool Air suspension

Here is my update:
my independent mechanic had replaced both rear airsprings, at a total cost of $880.
The warning that came up a day later : "Air suspension inactive.", subsequently went away.
It seems to work great the last few days, so perhaps it was the correct decision not to use the dealer, since I am pretty sure it would have been $2K.
However, it may still cost me if the air compressor dies.
These are app 1K at the dealer, but I found an eBay merchant who says he will sell an OEM compressor for $399. (that's for rear air suspensions- the 4 wheel ones are$599 )
Will let you know what happens.
My BMW is a 2002 BMW X5i 4.4 with 130k on the odometer.
I still love it, but this X5 has gotten a little pricy on maintenance after the 100K mark
Old 09-28-2011, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
I too was having the same issue. I was going to replace it myself with a 200 aftermarket bladder but I called my local mechanic and he would install an OEM one for 310. So now my X5 is at the shop being fixed.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: X5d
Camber on back

My x5 has to big camber, and when it gets on a chasiss lift (wheels hanging), it stays like that. It seems that it sits on the bumpstops full time. Is this ajustable?. Is the chock the bump stop, and could/should it be shimed to the correct position?
Ferdi
Old 10-21-2011, 03:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 Bmw X5 4.41 sport
I just got my 4.41 fixed for the same problem total cost $326 for OEM Airbag and replacement. My Indy thought I was crazy for thinking the air springs need replaced. He knew without looking at it that it was the airbag which is normal wear and tear for over 100k miles.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: x5is 2004
this system suckes, replased the all four bags, control modul, air pump , level sensors, there is no masage on the board about any fail, but the level selector button only works for day or may be two after every reset in bmw dealer.