Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-26-2011, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: '01 BMW M3 Convertible
BMW 335i Suspension Upgrades

Hi. I have a 2007 BMW 335i sedan (6-speed manual, sports). With over 80k miles, the car is starting to feel sluggish on the road. It's time for a suspension upgrade. Unfortunately, the last time I upgraded my suspension ('02 530i), the morons ended up raising my car instead of lowering it. Needless to say, I know nothing about suspension. Any recommendations on suspension upgrades for the 335i? Important to me are: slight lowering, improved handling/cornering, slight decrease in comfort. Price range: $1200.

Thanks much.

Basher
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Nerd

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Coupe
BMW Performance Suspension
Koni FSD+Eibach springs
Internal:M3 Tri-stitched Steering wheel/OEM Aluminum Pedal and Footrest
External: Black Matte Grills/MSport Front Bumper with sidemarker delete/OEM Aero Rear Bumper/OEM Aero Spoiler/LuxH8 LED Angel Eyes V3
Old 08-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
I'm way interested in the Konis. They really civilize the ride over the big bumps compared to the constant crashing I experience over the potholes and such right now. Plus, they improve handling and performance.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Nerd

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Coupe
I'm thinking of going BMW Performance in about 6months. The only issue is trying to find a place that will install it without costing an arm and a leg.
My dealer quoted me $1500 for installation and alignment...the kit costs $1300 at Tischer.

I may call one of the Dinan workshops around here.
Internal:M3 Tri-stitched Steering wheel/OEM Aluminum Pedal and Footrest
External: Black Matte Grills/MSport Front Bumper with sidemarker delete/OEM Aero Rear Bumper/OEM Aero Spoiler/LuxH8 LED Angel Eyes V3
Old 08-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Combat Commuter

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
At 80K, it is unlikely you need new springs. Slap on a set of Koni FSDs and you'll be good to go. Be aware, once you start going the aftermarket spring route (typically lowering), you need to start paying attention to the length of your bumps stops to keep the same amount of shock travel.

You may want to take a look at your lower control arms (front tension struts), they are coming to their end-of-life. You can replace the whole arms, or just replace the bushing in the arm, or replace with M3 bits. The M3 arms are plug and play and make a world of difference.

The FSDs and the M3 arms is the route I took. And then finished the whole package off with a set of Pilot Super Sports.

Last edited by Bcube; 08-26-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Skxawng

Mein Auto: 335i E90 MT
went with koni shocks + some springs with high rates (440/750). like it so far - no crashing into bumps, with non-rft tires it's smoother than stock on rfts. Kept original height to keep it streetable.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: '01 BMW M3 Convertible
Thanks all for your feedback! I'll check out the Koni's FSD. I think it makes more sense to do this in stages (shocks, control arms, springs.)

Brian, I think you are right about the front control arms. I am starting to hear cracking noise when I go from reverse to forward (a sign that the bushings are failing I believe).

The PS2 may be the best tire around, but I have been driving on Hankook Ventus V12 Evo, and at half the cost of the PS2, I have been extremely satisfied with the performance. They are quiet, yet excel in the performance category.

Basher
Old 09-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Combat Commuter

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
The bushings are liquid filled, it is easy to check if worn out - the leaking liquid stains the control arm.

BTW, PSS are a next gen tire from PS2. (In Europe, they are called PS3). The Hankooks are very pliable resulting in a very comfortable ride and they are the most quiet tires I ever tried. But from a performance category, PSS are on a whole other level. Price-wise, I found a special on PSS a few months back, so replacing a set was only 25% more than the set of Hankooks. I won't be going back.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Skxawng

Mein Auto: 335i E90 MT
if you do suspension, do all atonce. parts cost are comparable with labor, so it does not make sense to pay for labor several times.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky keeper View Post
if you do suspension, do all atonce. Parts cost are comparable with labor, so it does not make sense to pay for labor several times.
+1